Random MPB questions from first timer

• Thread starter highstandards
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

highstandards

whats up guys

newb here setting up a MPB system. Im coming from an organic soil background so ive got a lot of simple little questions for you guys. Im setting up 5 plant, 4light xox setup and im using the 27gal black/yellow home depot tubs and a 70gal res.

-With this system, should I change the res water once a week or can I go longer?

-Inbetween res changes, how often should I check ph/ppm and should I adjust ph/ppm daily?

-Still not 100% sure on this, but when mixing nutes and measuring ppm, should I add all of the other additives, then just use the a & b to get to the desired ppm? Or mix everything according to recommendations and then add RO water to get ppms back down to where they should be? Seems like each technique would make a pretty big difference in the ratios so i'm real curious about this.

-How important is it to have the res in a separate room? and why exactly? Would covering it from light be enough?

-Anyone ever grown a chem or blue dream in this system?

Thats a start, i'm sure there will be more on the way soon. Im in the middle of constructing my new room and ive got some Chemdog #4's and some blue dreams in the chamber rooting :character0053:

thanks guys!

JPLord01

JPLord01

Read my post it is FIRST MPB ROOM I'm growing BLUE DREAM lot of good info. There is a lot of good people on here to help. You will want to hard pipe your system with 1in pipe.
Your pump for top feed 500gph your tub feed 1800 gph. your air pump ap-100 look at the post of AP-100 setup. Your rez outside of the room if you can keep it in the dark.
Your chiller 1/4 hp set at 66 to 68. This is a start if you have ? ask I will try to help best I can.

H

highstandards

awesome, I'll dig that up right now.. thanks for your response bro

I already got my pumps, 1800 and a 600, and am going to get the hard piping as soon as I get off work, chiller is "chillin" in my garage waitin with most eveyrthing else

ive got 90% of everything besides the nutes at this point, now I just need to get all of the little details lined out.. :evilgrin

L

Lost

Lots of good threads around here. Perhaps one day we will consolidate and have a thread that points out where stuff is in various threads. We have threads 30+ pages long and there are posts with vital info that is so easy to miss, because its mentioned in 1 or 2 of the 300 posts and gets swept under the rug with various other unimportant questions or tangents..

T

t7rln

To OP - I have my res. (60 gal.) inside my grow room. If I had space to have it outside, I would. Mine is covered with 1" rigid styro. I can get my water temp down to 19c/66f but it is difficult to keep it there on hot days (my chiller is 1/2HP), and I can't get it lower that 66f.

For my next run I will build a wall to separate the res. space from the grow room.

So, if you absolutely don't have space, you can do it (keep your res. in your grow space), but it is more efficient to separate it.

Lots of good threads around here. Perhaps one day we will consolidate and have a thread that points out where stuff is in various threads. We have threads 30+ pages long and there are posts with vital info that is so easy to miss, because its mentioned in 1 or 2 of the 300 posts and gets swept under the rug with various other unimportant questions or tangents..

Any ideas on attempting this? I think it needs to be done.

t7rln

L

Lost

I'm willing to help, but I cannot be in charge. I would be far to bias as to what is important and what is crap....

Someone like Dd's (not going to happen), Dizzle, EP, Etc.. I'll help but i cannot be judge, jury and executioner, lol..

Seriously, there are 2 schools of MPB to start. Dead res and live res, but other than that the technology is identical.

Don't we have an obligation here?

S

socalsinner

MPB 4 You and ME ... lol

whats up guys

newb here setting up a MPB system. Im coming from an organic soil background so ive got a lot of simple little questions for you guys. Im setting up 5 plant, 4light xox setup and im using the 27gal black/yellow home depot tubs and a 70gal res.

-With this system, should I change the res water once a week or can I go longer?

-Inbetween res changes, how often should I check ph/ppm and should I adjust ph/ppm daily?

-Still not 100% sure on this, but when mixing nutes and measuring ppm, should I add all of the other additives, then just use the a & b to get to the desired ppm? Or mix everything according to recommendations and then add RO water to get ppms back down to where they should be? Seems like each technique would make a pretty big difference in the ratios so i'm real curious about this.

-How important is it to have the res in a separate room? and why exactly? Would covering it from light be enough?

-Anyone ever grown a chem or blue dream in this system?

Thats a start, i'm sure there will be more on the way soon. Im in the middle of constructing my new room and ive got some Chemdog #4's and some blue dreams in the chamber rooting :character0053:

thanks guys!

IMHO you need a bigger Res. I think if your using the Home Depot Buckets and running the piping as DD did and like I did and many others you will need a 100 gal res for 5 ladies. Your gonna have evaporation from the RES and you will want a nice flow through your system. I think the extra water helps maintain temps, and the stability of your nutes. Your pumps have to be under enough water.. remember. I like to have around 30-40 gal in the res. I had a friend run Blue Dream... IF your not gonna double staack your lights dont veg for more than 3 weeks. IF you veg her longer you will need to train her . Some of your questions are basics questions. You should read a good hydro book. I check my PH every time I enter my spot.. around 3 times a day ... Its like eating my three meals a day. Read the threads for a few days you will learn alot. I heard Lost had a synopsis of all threads coming out in Hard Back . You should ask him..... LMAO

Giddeon

Giddeon

That is a great Idea Lost, I know I have spent many late nights reading through post after post to find the credible information.

As far as Ph adjustment I am thinking it is pretty similar to UC, so here is a post by JACK in his 60 x 1000 watts under current hydro 20 tons of ac and some co2 thread: Post #718

No Ph swings here. And the roots looked great the whole way through. I use Roots Excel and Cannazym, one of the reasons I love this system is how stable the PH is. It is a must to let the PH swing and not add any PH up or Down I ride mine at 5.0 to 6.3 its usally at 5.9 to 6.1 unless I'm doing add backs/nuting up. And Chiller temps at 63 to 66 is a must. Jack

T

tokinsmokin

Yeah I've spent a lot of time reading every thread, and I definitely have found really important info deep in a thread. Luckily I think I've got most everything down and almost ready to go.

That is a great Idea Lost, I know I have spent many late nights reading through post after post to find the credible information.

As far as Ph adjustment I am thinking it is pretty similar to UC, so here is a post by JACK in his 60 x 1000 watts under current hydro 20 tons of ac and some co2 thread: Post #718

This is what I did with my Bio buckets about 5 or 6 years ago, let the PH swing. I've been told that adjusting your PH will affect the beneficial bacteria in a negative way, let the beneficials do their work. I remember my PH would go way out of range from what I was used to without any detrimental effects (lockout). If you have too much DO (dissolved oxygen) microbial activity will increase causing PH to rise, where as if your water is lacking DO the PH will drop since microbial activity isn't as great.

Obviously there are other variables that will affect PH as well, but if your using a live res you may want to keep this information in mind.

H

highstandards

What's up t7rln, it's going good, workin hard to try to get this system together, got all my supplies, got a long day setting it up ahead of me tomorrow. Hopefully all will go smoothly..

Thanks for the responses guys, I will just keep digging...

Maybe pics of a pvc'd fully functional 5 plant setup tomorrow if I bust my ass... I will try!

Top Bottom