Rapid Leaf Death. Please help

• Thread starter Hobblebush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hobblebush

Hobblebush

1587513547212.jpeg

The plant in question is in the lighter pot in the back. I noticed the leaves dropping earlier today and thought it might have been dry. The leaves hadnt lifted after a few hours and i notices the bottom leaves tips had started to wither. It hadnt been watered in 3.5 days. I was going to stop using nutes this week because i feared nitrogen tox, so it was just fresh rainwater ph at 7.7.

1587513792298.jpeg

1587514161805.jpeg

This leaf earlier today was wrinkled and looking strange. I lightly touched it and the tip of this leaf crumbled off the plant. ^

1587513920301.jpeg

the very tip of this leaf is darkening, wrinkling and becoming frail just like the leaf that broke. Ive been killing off fungus gnats recently, would this be the work of their larvae?

I haven't had any issues or worries with this plant, i was more concerned with its younger sibling, which seemed to have more gnats congregating around it. But overnight that plant has caught up to this one and seems much healthier. This change has happened over the course of 2 days. The leaves did not look like this 2 days ago.

Last edited:
Hobblebush

Hobblebush

you can see the discoloration and death better here. Why are the stems so intensely purple?What can I do for her. Slurry test came out at 7-7.1 I used distilled water and a 2:1 ratio of water to dirt

visajoe1

visajoe1

everything looks fine. are you in soil? if so, you dont need nutrients for a couple weeks at least

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

everything looks fine. are you in soil? if so, you dont need nutrients for a couple weeks at least

The bottom fan leaf tips are becoming fragile, curling, and then breaking off. Very subtle

The leaves have been sagging at are at the point now where they are resting on the rim of the pot. The circled area you can see the edge discoloration and it’s curling inward. Very brittle.

visajoe1

visajoe1

looks like it got wet, common for lower leaves at that age that close to soil. no worries

tobh

tobh

Supporter
The leaves will really droop if they're thirsty. You'll know they need watered, it's hard to describe. You want to avoid doing it too often, but their container should be super light (feel how the container feels when it's drenched vs dry) and you'll know when to water.

mancorn

mancorn

Could just be that the leaf is coming into contact with the pot, and got a heat and/or nute burn. It's a young plant, so shouldn't need much fertilizer (depending on your soil). The number of days between watering doesn't matter, rather how wet the soil is. Did the soil completely dry out in those 3 days? What's the sock thing on the pot? Is it able to drain easily?

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
The bottom fan leaf tips are becoming fragile, curling, and then breaking off. Very subtle
View attachment 964973
The leaves have been sagging at are at the point now where they are resting on the rim of the pot. The circled area you can see the edge discoloration and it’s curling inward. Very brittle.
A little over watered yes but you going to take that leaf out of the way soo when you prune it up you won’t even Romberg that leaf . Regards OD .

Kepp89

Kepp89

The leaves will really droop if they're thirsty. You'll know they need watered, it's hard to describe. You want to avoid doing it too often, but their container should be super light (feel how the container feels when it's drenched vs dry) and you'll know when to water.
imo soak a leaf in water now hold it up by the stem. when its on the plant its almost hanging on by a thread it seems.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Could just be that the leaf is coming into contact with the pot, and got a heat and/or nute burn. It's a young plant, so shouldn't need much fertilizer (depending on your soil). The number of days between watering doesn't matter, rather how wet the soil is. Did the soil completely dry out in those 3 days? What's the sock thing on the pot? Is it able to drain easily?

Sock was for gnats trying to get in the bottom of the pot holes. I let it dry out a ton and watered. It does drain easy. I stopped the nutes as was just using rainwater, but it’s pH is 7.6 so I need to lower it.

mancorn

mancorn

Yeah that's a high pH. You're probably getting a lockout on Mag and other non mobile nutrients. Test the pH coming out your pot (and if you have an EC meter check your drain water to see if you have a build up of salts/fertilizer). Do you know why the pH is so high? Rain water should be closer to 6 unless it's picking up something during the collection process (like coming off your roof). You should flush out the pot with pH neutral water (as there may be a ton of nutrients in the soil that will become available when you drop the pH and fry your plant). If you have a clean flush, then lightly feed. If gnats are a problem grab some Mosquito Bits and sprinkle in your pot and lose the sock.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Yeah that's a high pH. You're probably getting a lockout on Mag and other non mobile nutrients. Test the pH coming out your pot (and if you have an EC meter check your drain water to see if you have a build up of salts/fertilizer). Do you know why the pH is so high? Rain water should be closer to 6 unless it's picking up something during the collection process (like coming off your roof). You should flush out the pot with pH neutral water (as there may be a ton of nutrients in the soil that will become available when you drop the pH and fry your plant). If you have a clean flush, then lightly feed. If gnats are a problem grab some Mosquito Bits and sprinkle in your pot and lose the sock.

the EC reads 1-2ppm. Ill buy some pH down soon and let them dry out alot. The gnats seem to be gone for now, i used dunks and Tanlin drops in the water for 2 waterings and havent seen one since.

Latest posts

Top Bottom