rapid rooter tips

• Thread starter bluegrass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bluegrass

does anyone have any experience with cloning in rapid rooters, what the general consensus on these little spongy guys? Got any tips for using rapid rooters?

L

lovelightpower

i use root riot which i reckon is the same thing.
i mix a litre of water with tarantula and piranha benificial fungi and bacteria.
then plonk my RR cubes in the mix squash them all down, then they fill up with the liquid.
i squash them a few times then take them out one at a time squeezing out nearly all the moisture.

the roots come out nice and thick.

U

ukcheesehead

i use root riots as well soke them for 20mins in water then ring them out. take cutting dip in clonex place in cube and puta propagater under a enviro 125w (2ft away)

i spray clones n cubes 2 times a day
roots after 6 days

A

adam

i use grow plugs that my hydro shop sells 50 for $10. they are excellent for cloning but suck ass for seeds. the seedlings just dont do well imho.for cloning i just squeeze excess water from plug every few days during cloning as they seem to suck up alot of water and retain it. my cloning has been near 100% since then with the squeezing.

B

bluegrass

Is there a recommended ph for the soaking water? Thanks for the replies thus far!

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I've had fantastic success with Rapid Rooters. Consider them a soil less medium. I add a tiny drop of bloom fert and cannazyme (at maybe 1/10 strength) to some water and pH balance to 6 or so and soak them. I use Clonex rooting gel but any rooting hormone should work fine. Squeeze the excess water out of them before you place the clone. When you squeeze gently water should not pour out. Moist not wet.

When I place the clone in the hole I carefully tear a piece of the rooter off from around the rim and stuff it in as a shim to support the clone and eliminate air from getting to the new root zone.

I use an inset tray with spaces for the rooters, a regular tray and a dome and only do a dozen or so at a time. I'll fill the middle two rows of the inset with clones and pour a little water on the outside grooves of the bottom tray to keep humidity up.

I mist them immediately with a Vita-Grow Anti Wilt solution but I don't think that's necessary. Be sure to check on the regularly as they have a tendency to absorb too much water if there's too much in the tray. Don't be afraid to squeeze them gently with the clone in to get excess water out.

In summer I use a 75 watt equiv. CFL on 24 hrs and mist with at least once a day without a heat pad. In winter they'll take 3 or 4 times as long without a heating pad. My quickest mom roots in 5 days and most of the rest go 7-10 but I do have a couple real stubborn ones that go 12-14.

Sorry for the long winded response, hope it works out great for ya

F

FastForward

Until I started using coco I was using root riot cubes...which I much preferred over rockwool (no pH soaking). I haven't cloned yet, so no experience re: cloning. I dip mine in a rhizotonic solution and then give it a good squeeze out. I also tried using Formulex but got better results with rhizo. Apparently root riots are already impregnated with stuff (no idea what) anyway.

P

polar3

I flip them over and poke a smaller hole in the bottom. Tends to work a little better/faster with the media snug against the stem.

L

link

also try pintching the top of the rapid rooter once you insert the clone..

T

the Rock

can you use these rapid rooters for sprouting seeds or is that not recomended?

S

spinkus

I do the same as hereisssh. A little bloom nutes and beneficials. I use 1ml gh bloom and 10ml hydroguard, ph to 6.0 with good success.

I have never tore off a piece to block the hole though, sounds like a good tip worth trying next time around.

You can use them with seeds but I agree with adam, I have had better success with seed just by germing it and planting into the medium.

yts farmer

yts farmer

are rapid rooters,fleximix cubes and pit pots the same thing?

a while back the guy at my grow shop gave me some fleximix cubes to try out and he told me they were pre soaked so no need to add water,just germ/plant straight into the medium.

got home and these cubes were slightly damp but not damp enough for me to put a seed or cutting into it and another thing the pre made whole fot yhe seed or cutting were huge,in the end i didnt use them and went with my trusted method using jiffy peat pellets.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
yts: not sure that they're same, but they perform the same function.

The rapid rooters are pre-soaked as well. The pre-soaking is with micro enriched water/liquid to help tissue and root dev not to serve as the primary water source. You have to maintain moisture levels with these too, they just retain more water and dehydrate less quickly. The 'danger' with these is too much moisture.

Break off a small chunk of the medium and fill the rest of the hole that the cutting isn't filling with the piece. That should sure up the plant nicely, as long as you do it nicely :)

A

adam

filling in the hole is new to me when it comes to the plug will try next round good tip.what works great for my cloning rates is i put my tray on my dehumidifier which keeps them luke warm and then every day i squeeze the plugs gently and replace all water with fresh water thats all. in doing this i see the progress daily and can adjust to any issues. cloning in winter is nuts everything roots and explodes within 4 days. i need to dial that in season long lol

B

bluegrass

Thanks for the replies you guys I took 20 white widows around 4 days ago and all seems to be going well! I will post pics as soon as they are in cups! Peace and respect...

jyip

jyip

i havent been the best w/cloning, but the RR's worked fine, i put a humidity dome over them, clonex, keep the temps, n humidity right, also used RW , just as good results, also perlite, alot of times i will take cuts off the flowering plts and put them intoa pot right there and let them root while they r 12/12 and then veg them after rooting, kinda backwards ,but it worked 4 me

B

Bezy

Echo what most of the guys have said here, they work great for seeds or clones, better then rockwool IMO. All newbies should start in rapid rooter plugs and maybe move up to rockwool when they are ready.

D

Dreeaah1

i use root riots as well soke them for 20mins in water then ring them out. take cutting dip in clonex place in cube and puta propagater under a enviro 125w (2ft away)

i spray clones n cubes 2 times a day
roots after 6 days
Do you ever take the dome off ?

Latest posts

Top Bottom