Raspberry Pi Hydro automation

• Thread starter weedtech
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
There are a few other implementations I have seen. Home Assistant is used in another project and that was inspiration for this effort. I've been using this project in my garden for several years now to manage sensor data and trends. This is a new implementation that should be interesting to others looking for cost effective controls.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
There are a few other implementations I have seen. Home Assistant is used in another project and that was inspiration for this effort. I've been using this project in my garden for several years now to manage sensor data and trends. This is a new implementation that should be interesting to others looking for cost effective controls.

This has all of the makings of a total "geek out" 😁🥳😎🍻

So i have the skillset and the interest. Where do i find the sensors, etc.

This is going to be very interesting. Are you going to be doing this from the ground up or do you already have pieces built?

I'll be on the front row..

Thanks for the video. 🥂 🍻

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
I've been using the basic kit for some while and contributing to the code base. I maintain the i2c mux code for the raspi and try to help with reported bugs. This was a new wrinkle the developer (Kyle) decided to take on to extend the project. The project is as Kyle calls it a sensor swiss army knife. It solves the code problems if YOU solve the hardware implementation. The YMMV of implementation is the hard part - but Kyle provides significant hints to that process in this video.

I am lacking many parts for my implementation and it would have to wait a bit for other reasons, I'm just days from flip on the current grow.

weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
So - if you have a raspberry pi handy - you can just install this code and start with basics like monitoring CPU temp.
Then add sensors to become comfortable with the process, using for monitoring first. Good sensor layout is critical to good control systems since there are feedback loops in this specific design that are complex. Bad data can create bad controls if the design doesn't protect for that. In hydro, that can mean alot of dead lettuce.

I come from a background that worries about high availability and resilience, so I'm a lousy salesman. I try to be a good engineer and that takes all my attention. I can tell you this is really good code, if you can build stable hardware ( wiring is the usual suspect ) that provides consistent results. Makers/Techies usually get it, others have to take a longer path.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
So - if you have a raspberry pi handy - you can just install this code and start with basics like monitoring CPU temp.
Then add sensors to become comfortable with the process, using for monitoring first. Good sensor layout is critical to good control systems since there are feedback loops in this specific design that are complex. Bad data can create bad controls if the design doesn't protect for that. In hydro, that can mean alot of dead lettuce.

I come from a background that worries about high availability and resilience, so I'm a lousy salesman. I try to be a good engineer and that takes all my attention. I can tell you this is really good code, if you can build stable hardware ( wiring is the usual suspect ) that provides consistent results. Makers/Techies usually get it, others have to take a longer path.

The Corps trained me in Aviation Electronics, then I spent 4 years as a civie installing digital avionics in several type of US aircraft from Helio's to B-52's. Hardware is how i got into IT in the first place 😁 courtesy of ABDick Office Supply & Tandy TRS-80 repair center.

Hit Me! 🍻 if nothing else, it is something else to play with :-)

oh! I do have access to Raspberry Pi, we use it at work to control the 3D printer and the 55 in tv's we use for status monitors.

thcbell

thcbell

This is a new implementation that should be interesting to others looking for cost effective controls.

This is a great project and I'm a dev guy as well. I'm interested to look and yeah, possibly contribute. Can you provide the link to the project?

Ok I found the project after finding github page in the video.

Thank you for this video, nice rock solid projects! Looking to install it this winter.

Last edited:
weedtech

weedtech

Supporter
Thank you for this video, nice rock solid projects!
Kyle is pretty awesome when a user has some issue - way above what I have seen in other projects when you get him interested in a problem. I mentioned hydro projects and pointed to an existing project based on Home Assistant and he went full control gonzo with the peristaltic pumps. Who knew? Before that, it was LoraWAN sensors to do remote greenhouses. I've been working on a wireless light spectrum sensor - that I use to characterize LED and other light sources I use in my tent.

selfmade2106

selfmade2106

I am also very enthusiastic about Mycodo.
I would like to implement PWM multiplexers and I2C multiplexers like PCA9685 and TCA9548a.
Does anyone know which code pages have to be adapted for this ... I think it's a good template system that can be changed ... Has someone already tried this?
because i would like control my led-panels with differnet wavelenght

VDWG

VDWG

Chiming in on my 2 cents with Mycodo. It is a great platform! Been using it for various projects over the last 3 and years, Kyle is awesome to work with on fixing issues.
My current setup:

PID automation on EC and PH control using generic peristaltic pumps connected to 5v Relays on their own 12v circuit.
Water level topping hooked up to a separate Arduino atm, but I can SSH into the Pi and get the details via minicom. (I don't know python and couldn't get the ADC to work)

All you need to know how to hook up the parts really.

W

walkdontrun

Hello!
Bumping an old thread, I just joined this community upon reading this thread.

Did anyone implement a successful raspberry pi hydroponic (DWC) setup for cannabis? I am kickstarting my indoor growing journey, and this is the path I wish to take with this setup. I plan on setting up a twinnable setup, so that I can double production easily. Please feel free to PM me on this matter, I'll be investigating other threads on this subject.

Cheers

I

ispy

Hello!
Bumping an old thread, I just joined this community upon reading this thread.

Did anyone implement a successful raspberry pi hydroponic (DWC) setup for cannabis? I am kickstarting my indoor growing journey, and this is the path I wish to take with this setup. I plan on setting up a twinnable setup, so that I can double production easily. Please feel free to PM me on this matter, I'll be investigating other threads on this subject.

Cheers
interested as well

Smokey0418

Smokey0418

It definitely is an interestig idea.

Looks to be laid out if one has the money to buy in.

Something I think would be fun to tinker with .

Definitely has perked my interest in the one being played with.

d3cryption

d3cryption

@Smokey0418 the most expensive piece was the atlas ph board and probe(190). Everything else is pretty much $30 and less per part.

I

ispy

@Smokey0418 the most expensive piece was the atlas ph board and probe(190). Everything else is pretty much $30 and less per part.
are you using a raspberry pi? i was hoping to find something without and just run straight into HA with ESPHome or something. the RPIs are running 150+ last time i checked

d3cryption

d3cryption

are you using a raspberry pi? i was hoping to find something without and just run straight into HA with ESPHome or something. the RPIs are running 150+ last time i checked
I'm running home assistant via virtual box (virtual machine). you can use a old laptop also.

I

ispy

I'm running home assistant via virtual box (virtual machine). you can use a old laptop also.
so no RPI? you are not running mycodo right? i thought it required RPI.

i have HA running on Vbox on a pc already

Latest posts

Top Bottom