RDWC: 5 gal or 10 gal

• Thread starter Beowuuulf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

The price for 10gal Setup is 4x but only 2x the space upgrade.

question for farmers with 5 gal buckets: are you sufficiently happy with the space for roots

in a 4x4x96 I want to run 4 10 gallon brute trash bins(hydroponic rdwc), I worry this may be overkill..

threatco

threatco

The price for 10gal Setup is 4x but only 2x the space upgrade.

question for farmers with 5 gal buckets: are you sufficiently happy with the space for roots

in a 4x4x96 I want to run 4 10 gallon brute trash bins(hydroponic rdwc), I worry this may be overkill..

Seems overkill. 5 gal should suffice in that space. Not worth the $$$ for the minor possible benefit.

With that much vert space i would flood/drain. Then you can cover the area with grow media and more plants.

I just love that the roots dont have to sit in water and rely on massive oxygenation and water temp control to achieve results.

Mytwhyt

Mytwhyt

I ran 2 modified rdwc Waterfarms, with a 5 gal remote reservoir.. A 5 gal bucket waterfarm is the same.. The mods i do on both types of WFs allow the drip ring in each WF, and diy WF buckets to move the water.... the circulation rate for a single WF is120 gal a day.. Two modified WFs remove and return 240 gals a day from a remote reservoir.. Once the water passes through 9 liters of hydroton, it contains all the O2 a plant needs. No air stones are needed to add more.. They just add heat.. No electric water pump. is used to move the water.. Google - Mixed hydro - Water culture - the grow for these pics.

Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

Seems overkill. 5 gal should suffice in that space. Not worth the $$$ for the minor possible benefit.

With that much vert space i would flood/drain. Then you can cover the area with grow media and more plants.

I just love that the roots dont have to sit in water and rely on massive oxygenation and water temp control to achieve results.
Thanks for the reply, I will consider a flood and drain table idea, You CERTAINLY Proved it’s worthy :-)

About the more plants benefit, I am restricted to 4, this is a consideration for me

Last edited:
Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

I ran 2 modified rdwc Waterfarms, with a 5 gal remote reservoir.. A 5 gal bucket waterfarm is the same.. The mods i do on both types of WFs allow the drip ring in each WF, and diy WF buckets to move the water.... the circulation rate for a single WF is120 gal a day.. Two modified WFs remove and return 240 gals a day from a remote reservoir.. Once the water passes through 9 liters of hydroton, it contains all the O2 a plant needs. No air stones are needed to add more.. They just add heat.. No electric water pump. is used to move the water.. Google - Mixed hydro - Water culture - the grow for these pics.
Very interesting setup, creative use of less resources — I would give it a try but I’ve got most materials (air, water pumps, stones etc.

in the name of never upgrading I may just run the bins if I can get a slightly better deal IN store

chemistry

chemistry

Last time I ran DWC my buckets were thee and a half gallons. Grew three and a half feet plants with out staking, so five gallons would be of the utmost luxury. You don't have the space to grow plants bigger than that, so beyond five gallons your wasting your free time changing rez's, and throwing away money on nuits to fill over sized rez's you just don't needl.

Beowuuulf

Beowuuulf

Last time I ran DWC my buckets were thee and a half gallons. Grew three and a half feet plants with out staking, so five gallons would be of the utmost luxury. You don't have the space to grow plants bigger than that, so beyond five gallons your wasting your free time changing rez's, and throwing away money on nuits to fill over sized rez's you just don't needl.

Okay! Brilliant.
it is decided on 5 gals than!

Top Bottom