Rdwc Bucket Size Question

• Thread starter peta1111
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
peta1111

peta1111

I am just starting to think about building a rDWC system. I was going to use 5 gal buckets but came across some 8 and 13 gal square buckets that would allow more water to each plant and in the system in general. I am thinking that more water means more stability. I am wondering if using larger buckets effects the plant growth/size at all. Will larger buckets result in larger plants? I am planning on doing a test run with 4 buckets in a 5x5 tent. Are there any other considerations when sizing the buckets? Advanatages/disadvantages to bigger/smaller buckets?

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

5 gallon buckets are plenty as far as size goes but it's pretty hard to get a seal that doesn't leak on a round bucket. I would go with the 8 gallon square buckets. I also would consider thinking about going down to only 2 buckets. 2 good hydro plants will more than fill that space. If you did 2 you could have water flow from a 3rd bucket outside tent which would be the epicenter and would give you an extra 5-6 gallons in system. Smaller buckets will give you more of a solid root mass but sealing a round bucket is no easy task. I would go with the 8 gallon square buckets and consider cutting your plant numbers unless you can find 5 gallon square buckets.

peta1111

peta1111

5 gallon buckets are plenty as far as size goes but it's pretty hard to get a seal that doesn't leak on a round bucket. I would go with the 8 gallon square buckets. I also would consider thinking about going down to only 2 buckets. 2 good hydro plants will more than fill that space. If you did 2 you could have water flow from a 3rd bucket outside tent which would be the epicenter and would give you an extra 5-6 gallons in system. Smaller buckets will give you more of a solid root mass but sealing a round bucket is no easy task. I would go with the 8 gallon square buckets and consider cutting your plant numbers unless you can find 5 gallon square buckets.

I was planning on having a larger epicenter outside the tent where it is cooler and to save space. Originally I was also thinking of going with 2 buckets to start but I am starting with seedlings so I am going to have to grow more plants initially to sex them. I may need to fall back to that plan though. I really do not want it to get out of hand. Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like the 8gal buckets may be a good compromise.

HydroGuy

HydroGuy

I was planning on having a larger epicenter outside the tent where it is cooler and to save space. Originally I was also thinking of going with 2 buckets to start but I am starting with seedlings so I am going to have to grow more plants initially to sex them. I may need to fall back to that plan though. I really do not want it to get out of hand. Appreciate the feedback. Sounds like the 8gal buckets may be a good compromise.
If you are starting with seeds I might consider Rockwool with a tray and dome rather than placing in buckets to start. I have never used rock wool personally since I only use clones out of a turbo cloner that go into net pots of hydroton once dropped in system. I know people that do use rock wool for seedlings in rdwc and have great results.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

If you are starting with seeds I might consider Rockwool with a tray and dome rather than placing in buckets to start. I have never used rock wool personally since I only use clones out of a turbo cloner that go into net pots of hydroton once dropped in system. I know people that do use rock wool for seedlings in rdwc and have great results.
I agree that going str8 to buckets is difficult. Growing in rockwool imo is even harder, esp lil seedlings... I say build you a lil tote 8 gallon dwc to put seedlings in till they develope a root capable of going in the rdwc.

Downloadfile 27
20161124 135633
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

After a couple days in the root spa here they are...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

And i scoured ebay and amazon for all the parts to build a rdwc. No matter how i built it, it was still quite expensive unless you were only gonna use a couple buckets or totes. I know 1 plant will produce as much as 4, but it takes more veg and lst,topping, super cropping... If you dont mind watching dust fall, by all means get a p out that bitch.. But on accident i had a 2 1/2 month old momma, and 3 clones. I flip the 3 clones 2 weeks after the mother.. Im gonna tell you right now, that in 2 months flower on 3 clones is gonna produce about the same but with much bigger buds...

here is the system i bought. Its a knock off of the recirculating waterfarm...

20160908 003119
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

If you notice on that one it is rdwc PLUS it is a drip feed sytem which really helps in starting the plants off with good root mass. They are circular and they promote the roots to travel out to the sides of the bucket, and then down giving you better stability, and better nutrient uptake...

peta1111

peta1111

Appreciate the responses. My plan was to start seeds in rockwool or something similar under a dome and then move to the system in hydroton and top feed by hand 2-3 times a day until the roots were far enough along. Also, the tent is temporary. I want to do a run or two in RDWC to get an idea if I like it and how complicated it is, see if I can get it dialed in etc. then maybe I will build out a slightly larger room (6x10 or so) and re-deploy/expand the system in that room. I'll be building out a closet down there along the same wall for wifey anyhow so what's an extra wall or two!
I like the idea of the root spa. Maybe I'll do that.
REALSTYLES11 put a nice DIY for a cloner on YT too.
I realize the costs add up. I've priced out most of what I need and it still seems much cheaper and more flexible to DIY.

Last edited:
EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I got less than $20 in the spa.. the system cost 185.00 plus shipping. 220.00 all together. Paid for itself easily the first run. Res monitor and it's easiest thing in the world...

peta1111

peta1111

I got less than $20 in the spa.. the system cost 185.00 plus shipping. 220.00 all together. Paid for itself easily the first run. Res monitor and it's easiest thing in the world...

How long do you keep seedlings in the root spa typically and how many water changes do you need to do?

Where did you get the system? $220 is really cheap for that. Most of the systems I've seen are much more pricey.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

How long do you keep seedlings in the root spa typically and how many water changes do you need to do?

Where did you get the system? $220 is really cheap for that. Most of the systems I've seen are much more pricey.
Give me a little and I will get back to you. I'm at work...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I leave them in there from a week to a month. And I never change the water. Set ppm at 250 and pH at 6.1 and it stays there. Up the ppm to 400 if longer than 2 weeks in... pH maintains itself really after initial setting at 6.1....
I also use rapid rooter plugs instead of rockwool. Much easier.....

peta1111

peta1111

I leave them in there from a week to a month. And I never change the water. Set ppm at 250 and pH at 6.1 and it stays there. Up the ppm to 400 if longer than 2 weeks in... pH maintains itself really after initial setting at 6.1....
I also use rapid rooter plugs instead of rockwool. Much easier.....

Thanks and Rapid Rooters was what I was planning on using (could not think of the name). Also thanks for the ebay link. I will take a look at those systems. Still leaning towards DIY for now in order to configure it exactly to what I want but you have definitely given me something to think about. Love having options.

peta1111

peta1111

My system is built. I still need to water test it and find/fix leaks. A bit nervous to do that. It will have to wait until Sunday in any case. It is not the most elegant of systems (understatement) but hopefully it should work as designed. Way more work then I ever anticipated.
On Sunday I started germinating 3 seeds and they all popped so I went ahead and planted them in Rapid Rooters in a humidity dome with a little heating pad under the tray, set to 85 degrees. I ordered a ceramic heater for the tent but it did not arrive yet and it is fairly cold down there so let's hope things are ok until it arrives on Monday. Fingers crossed. Tired.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

My system is built. I still need to water test it and find/fix leaks. A bit nervous to do that. It will have to wait until Sunday in any case. It is not the most elegant of systems (understatement) but hopefully it should work as designed. Way more work then I ever anticipated.
On Sunday I started germinating 3 seeds and they all popped so I went ahead and planted them in Rapid Rooters in a humidity dome with a little heating pad under the tray, set to 85 degrees. I ordered a ceramic heater for the tent but it did not arrive yet and it is fairly cold down there so let's hope things are ok until it arrives on Monday. Fingers crossed. Tired.
Bro it's a job! Congrats. Post a pic of it and tell us about it...

peta1111

peta1111

Bro it's a job! Congrats. Post a pic of it and tell us about it...

It is a job!
I'll post some pics and explain after I get the water flowing. May still have to make a few changes. Looks like I am going to have to find a way to tap the cold water down there too since there is no easy way to fill 'er up. Also need to cut a hole to outside to drain but I'll wait until a day my wife is working for that :).

Latest posts

Top Bottom