Re-using chow

• Thread starter sgt. schultz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

How many roots can I leave in my chow mix when I re-use it. Removing every tiny "spider web" root is a super pain in the ass and I reckon nearly impossible. I want to re-use 3 times at least, maybe 4 or 5 if no problem. Starting with new bricks every time also a super pain. Trying to find a balance. I have great success with Burpee coco bricks. They have it at Lowe's and on line. Peace

ttystikk

ttystikk

I use 80% hydroton and 20% coco (measured wet) in my chowmix and I've been recycling the same stuff, over and over, for years. Since I flush at the end of my runs like everyone else, the INERT MEDIA simply gets turned out into a bin and is ready for next time.

I remove any stumps, bundles and chunks of old roots but I'm in no way obsessive about it. I don't attempt to sterilize, either- I run Cap's bennies and figure they're in residence so why evict them just to start over?

I get some benefits:
One, very consistent- and plenty strong- growth characteristics within and between runs.
Two, zero additional cost for media, either for purchase or disposal.
Three, since I'm not buying new stuff, there is no vector into my garden for potential pests brought in by contaminated media.

oxanaca

oxanaca

this is very interesting i purchased a pallet of coco pith @ 25 cents a pound(2500lbs) even having so much i think ill do this rather than throwing it out. looks like ill end up being good on coco fiber for the rest of my life

do either of you guys use pond enzymes or any enzymes, if so how do you apply them? i have the powdered kind for ponds with barley in it, its supposto make 120,000 gallons or so.

ttystikk

ttystikk

this is very interesting i purchased a pallet of coco pith @ 25 cents a pound(2500lbs) even having so much i think ill do this rather than throwing it out. looks like ill end up being good on coco fiber for the rest of my life

do either of you guys use pond enzymes or any enzymes, if so how do you apply them? i have the powdered kind for ponds with barley in it, its supposto make 120,000 gallons or so.

I use Cap's bennies, aka OGBiowar foliar and root packs, brewed into aerated compost tea with a bit of sugar and a fee handfuls of earthworm castings and left to do its thing. I'll dip out a quart or two for each RDWC system every few days and when it gets low I replenish with water, sugar and a tiny bit of the above bennies. Cap has allowed us to make RDWC simple without the need for each system to maintain its own microlife, especially through flush and reservoir change events.

It gets better; in stark contrast to most how-tos here, I not only reuse my substrate, but I don't sterilize or scrub out my RDWC between runs- just a flush, a blast with the hose in each site to loosen stuff up and done. I refill with water, nutrients and add another pitcher full of ACT and off I go again.

midwestdensies

midwestdensies

Cannazyme will help you with eating up old roots greatly. Never tested pond enzyme but hear same thing.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I do the same as tty. I used the same mix for almost two years. Just got the main roots out and replant the same day. The bennies will create enzymes.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

I use 80% hydroton and 20% coco (measured wet) in my chowmix and I've been recycling the same stuff, over and over, for years. Since I flush at the end of my runs like everyone else, the INERT MEDIA simply gets turned out into a bin and is ready for next time.

I remove any stumps, bundles and chunks of old roots but I'm in no way obsessive about it. I don't attempt to sterilize, either- I run Cap's bennies and figure they're in residence so why evict them just to start over?

I get some benefits:
One, very consistent- and plenty strong- growth characteristics within and between runs.
Two, zero additional cost for media, either for purchase or disposal.
Three, since I'm not buying new stuff, there is no vector into my garden for potential pests brought in by contaminated media.

Much as I hoped. I'm about 50-50 and hand watering 3 or 4 times a week. How much would I have to kick up the watering to get to 70-30 or 80-20? Automated pump for sure, huh? Thanks man.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

I do the same as tty. I used the same mix for almost two years. Just got the main roots out and replant the same day. The bennies will create enzymes.

I appreciate you guys confirming what I hoped was so. Peace

ttystikk

ttystikk

Much as I hoped. I'm about 50-50 and hand watering 3 or 4 times a week. How much would I have to kick up the watering to get to 70-30 or 80-20? Automated pump for sure, huh? Thanks man.

What? The ratio of components in the soilless media has no relation to watering.
Hydroton is a brand of the expanded clay pellets, and you know what coco is. Get the coco damp, then run 20% by volume to the rest hydroton and that's your mix.

oxanaca

oxanaca

I use Cap's bennies, aka OGBiowar foliar and root packs, brewed into aerated compost tea with a bit of sugar and a fee handfuls of earthworm castings and left to do its thing. I'll dip out a quart or two for each RDWC system every few days and when it gets low I replenish with water, sugar and a tiny bit of the above bennies. Cap has allowed us to make RDWC simple without the need for each system to maintain its own microlife, especially through flush and reservoir change events.

do you perfer RDWC to top dripped DTW Chow mix?

It gets better; in stark contrast to most how-tos here, I not only reuse my substrate, but I don't sterilize or scrub out my RDWC between runs- just a flush, a blast with the hose in each site to loosen stuff up and done. I refill with water, nutrients and add another pitcher full of ACT and off I go again.

i love HDPE, but whats ACT

ttystikk

ttystikk

do you perfer RDWC to top dripped DTW Chow mix?

i love HDPE, but whats ACT

I'm running RDWC to enable me to move my plants from one environment to another during their growth cycle. The substrate they ride in is chowmix which is irrigated earlier in their lives, but unnecessary by the time they kick roots into the water.

I use this ability to create spaces ideally suited for the plants at each stage of their lives, in two week increments, in order to grow and shape them for the trellis system I'm currently working with. Once they've completed their veg schedule, I carry them into place in a vertical cylinder trellis and let them grow into it, having spent the previous six weeks being prepared for exactly this moment.

That spot is in a bloom room that caters to it and a select few of its classmates, and will carefully attend to their every changing need for the rest of their life cycle. It will have all the water, nutrients, light, space, CO² and airflow a plant could ever dream of, and in return I fervently hope it will reward me with explosive growth and jaw dropping yields!

Haven't gotten that far yet, lol- but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
ttystikk

ttystikk

ACT = Aerated Compost Tea

Mine is in a 5 gallon bucket with a dark loose fitting lid. I tossed in an airstone, added a few handfuls of earthworm castings and Cap's bennies, aka OGBiowar foliar and root packs. Not a shameless plug, you give props to what works, nuff said.

Add a tablespoon of sugar or molasses and let it brew for a day or two with the airstone constantly running, then I dip out a quart or two of tea and put it into my RDWC systems once or twice a week. I keep the bucket going constantly, occasionally adding a bit of sugar and just a taste of the bennies to refresh it. Think of it like sourdough starter...

oxanaca

oxanaca

interesting when you say al ittle bit of sugar or a taste of bennies what does that mean, a teaspoon, a table spoon?

also do you use the nute pack and if so how?

J

Jalisco Kid

What? The ratio of components in the soilless media has no relation to watering.
Hydroton is a brand of the expanded clay pellets, and you know what coco is. Get the coco damp, then run 20% by volume to the rest hydroton and that's your mix.
Not true with chow mixes and watering. The more coir the less watering is used. This also effects salt retension,ppms ran, etc. I would use different nutes and watering sch. for a 70:30 then I would a 30/70 chow mix.JK

ttystikk

ttystikk

Not true with chow mixes and watering. The more coir the less watering is used. This also effects salt retension,ppms ran, etc. I would use different nutes and watering sch. for a 70:30 then I would a 30/70 chow mix.JK

If that's what he was driving at, then I missed it. What you're saying is on point, of course. I'd even venture so far as to say that there isn't much point to a 30% hydroton / 70% coco mix, from a big picture perspective.

ttystikk

ttystikk

interesting when you say al ittle bit of sugar or a taste of bennies what does that mean, a teaspoon, a table spoon?

also do you use the nute pack and if so how?

Lil taste = 1/4tsp the point of the tea is to brew up the numbers with time, aeration and sugar. I didn't get the nute pak.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Hydroton is a brand of the expanded clay pellets, and you know what coco is. Get the coco damp, then run 20% by volume to the rest hydroton and that's your mix.[/

I think I get it. Thanks bro.

sgt. schultz

sgt. schultz

Thanks amigo.

Top Bottom