Re-using coco

• Thread starter budboy299
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
budboy299

budboy299

Just a heads up....although most probably already know this. Re-using coco works great. 3rd run on the same coco now and oddly enough it seems to get better with age.
I think it is because the first run of coco always seems to get some sort of calcium deficiency. By the time you get to the later part of the first run and any subsequent runs, the coco has absorbed all the calcium it can.

All I do (which is far less than some) is to make sure the last run was properly flushed. .3 or less EC. Then I take out the major portion of roots simply by shaking it over a large garbage can....through it back in the pot and ready to run again. Ultimate environmental awareness.

Lots will say to run some sort of zyme through it but I never saw the point once I saw how well repeated runs worked. Outdoors plants grow through each others roots all the time, so I cannot see how any tiny feeder roots in the pot could interfere. Key though is to properly flush from the previous run.

Oh and I would worry though if I had a problem with the original run. Eg spidermites, or other pests

budboy299

budboy299

sfzoo, I normally flush for 10 days before I harvest. 10 days before I chop I run enough water to bring the EC down to about .6EC, then I run enough water every day till chop to bring the EC as low as I can get it.

Next run of plants in the flushed coco, I simply run at about .6EC with 1.1ml/gallon of roots excelurator. Plants take to it well and havn't seen any signs of cal defiency at all.
like I said...second run always seems way better than using fresh coco

F

forty

good to know that you haven't had any prob without using an enzyme... sure saves some cash.

S

sfzoo

sfzoo, I normally flush for 10 days before I harvest. 10 days before I chop I run enough water to bring the EC down to about .6EC, then I run enough water every day till chop to bring the EC as low as I can get it.

Next run of plants in the flushed coco, I simply run at about .6EC with 1.1ml/gallon of roots excelurator. Plants take to it well and havn't seen any signs of cal defiency at all.
like I said...second run always seems way better than using fresh coco

what i meant was how do you flush the coco for re-use, not how you flush your plants for harvest.

so if i'm understanding correctly, the only process you go through is shaking the stalk/large roots out of the coco. From there, you simply replant and repeat. Correct?

budboy299

budboy299

exactly right sfzoo, I flush my plants till I get to about .3EC, then harvest.
afterwards I pull out the stalk and as much of the roots as I can without too much effort, then repot the new plants back in.

Try it on just one plant and see how it goes!

Top Bottom