Really interested in UC but wondering a few things...

• Thread starter greentigerca
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

greentigerca

So I have been studying a lot on UC systems but never noticed a few things:

1) Is the level of the water in all the sites and control bucket based on where you have your float valve set? (you could adjust the depth of the water by adjusting the float valve?)

2) Say you were using 8" net pots, how far up the pot should your water line be? I have noticed some barely touching the bottom of the pot and others 1/2 way up the pot.

3) Top fed drip lines. Some photos/videos look like there is a top drip system and some look like there isnt one. Which is it?

Thanks a lot for the info! I am leaning more towards this system every day!

Peace

GT

audius

audius

hey green t whats cracking,seeds hope. mabee i can help on his matter. question # 1,yes. question # 2depends on where your roots are. if there not showing threw the pot then ya the water lvl will be where it needs to beto keep the roots wet. question # 3. yes & no. some systems have both. i will say if this is your first time growing i wouldnt do hydro. go dirt till ya learnthe basics. hydro is very nonforgiving.

N

ncmaineac

not sure thats correct

audios, not sure your answers are correct so i will explain. I think the level of water in the buckets is regulated by the return hole that is towards the top of the bucket...the float is a level device for the level of the reservoir with water coming from some r/o water conditioner usually.

the water level is anywhere from 2 to 2 1/2" from the top as per the directions that i saw from the "how to" by ww crew. Here is the thread..

not sure if you have see this or not.....

is this system drip lines are not needed...but there are some that use them. dont bother with drip lines as there is plenty of water in the uc system as the usual water return rate is about 7-10 refills an hour. the more the better.

audius you are right about hydroponics being unforgiven as with dirt you have some time between adding nutes and seeing the results and with hydro when you give a plant nutes you see it a lot sooner...but the growth differential is tremendous...so if you want and you are growing for yourself , at first do a few with dirt and some with hydro...or you can dive in with hydro but start small and get bigger...maybe start with a 4 plant system...just a thought..

hope this helps good luck,

ncm

deacon1503

deacon1503

So I have been studying a lot on UC systems but never noticed a few things:

1) Is the level of the water in all the sites and control bucket based on where you have your float valve set? (you could adjust the depth of the water by adjusting the float valve?)

2) Say you were using 8" net pots, how far up the pot should your water line be? I have noticed some barely touching the bottom of the pot and others 1/2 way up the pot.

3) Top fed drip lines. Some photos/videos look like there is a top drip system and some look like there isnt one. Which is it?

Thanks a lot for the info! I am leaning more towards this system every day!

Peace

GT

#1 - yes
#2 - plz reference the FAQ @ cch2o.com
#3 - their new non-recirc system (the OG/Earth system) has a top drip but the UC's do not.

These questions could also be addressed in the main UC questions/concerns thread started by UCHQ. its a sticky at the top of the UC forum.

Good luck.

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Bio Buckets are not Under Currents, completely different animals..

The water level is definately controlled by the float valve, there is no return hole at the top or toward the top of a UC bucket. The float valve is the inlet for your top off water and also a constant level float.

Water level has nothing to do with the top of the buckets but rather the bottom of the netpot. Water level is typically set just below the netpots so that the bubbles basically splash up on the bottom to start, once you have a good root system the water hieght can be set lower, maybe a couple of inches below the netpot and at the end you can let it run way down to shock'm a little at the end.

Tex

N

ncmaineac

my bad

sorry....my bad....maybe not completely different animal...lets say maybe kissing cousin...lol...but it is not the same....sorry for the misinformation...i could blame the herb but what the fuck...lol

F

fuzzy

TK said it!

I think TK said it all!I have never put my float valve on yet and im on my 4th run.Just fill it to where you want it at the time of growth(cuttings,veg,flower), and keep it there with an eye on PH and about 67 degrees with aquashield and you should do ok.just my 2 pennies,peace,fuzzy ps- this round im redoing my room and putting the float valve on though

F

fuzzy

drip system

Also, i do use a drip system on mine until roots reach the water and i turn it back on towards the end of flower and let the water level drop a bit.Usually have trunks the size of coke cans. peace,fuzzy

G

greentigerca

Bio Buckets are not Under Currents, completely different animals..

The water level is definately controlled by the float valve, there is no return hole at the top or toward the top of a UC bucket. The float valve is the inlet for your top off water and also a constant level float.

Water level has nothing to do with the top of the buckets but rather the bottom of the netpot. Water level is typically set just below the netpots so that the bubbles basically splash up on the bottom to start, once you have a good root system the water hieght can be set lower, maybe a couple of inches below the netpot and at the end you can let it run way down to shock'm a little at the end.

Tex

Thanks all for the input and Tex I consider it an honor that you chimed in! I absolutely love your threads! Great info!

This isnt my first grow just want to kick it over to full hydro! :banana1sv6:
I pieced out and priced a 40 site UC system and it came out to about $3200. My dad and grandfather were both engineers so I grew up building all kinds of cool stuff so I dont think this should be a problem at all. :rock
(I dont think I would build one nearly that big but that is what would fit in my space.) :pimp:

Thanks much!

Latest posts

Top Bottom