Reasons for cupping/tacoing not related to heat or light?? Need help please.

• Thread starter Blakeja
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blakeja

Blakeja

One of two of the same strain has been showing some heat stress lately same height of light and conditions.
scratching my head to try and solve this.. any ideas would be really appreciated.

thanks!

Reasons for cuppingtacoing not related to heat or light need help please
Reasons for cuppingtacoing not related to heat or light need help please 2
Reasons for cuppingtacoing not related to heat or light need help please 3
Reasons for cuppingtacoing not related to heat or light need help please 4
AngeRBizcuTT480

AngeRBizcuTT480

I just had a similiqr issue.. I thought my girl was getting light burn so I moved her back n fed lightly(was her feed day) that night she lost 20 or 30 older leaves so I flushed with 3 GS of water and now she is praying again..turns out it was a lockout that looked like light burn / nitrogen deficiency. Maybe if all else fails flush her....

AngeRBizcuTT480

AngeRBizcuTT480

Those thin leaves with burning edges point toward deficiencies as well, potassium or secondary nutes. What are you feeding ?

Blakeja

Blakeja

Those thin leaves with burning edges point toward deficiencies as well, potassium or secondary nutes. What are you feeding ?
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

could be a deficiency. I doubt it would be a lock, I feed daily in coco full remo brand lineup at 3/4 strength. Also over water to ensure flushing since feeding daily. I’m nervous to introduce more nutrients to keep costs down and avoid burn. Maybe I should try full strength for a week? See if the one bounces back. I’ve never had issues even at 1/2 strength…
Thoughts?

AngeRBizcuTT480

AngeRBizcuTT480

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

could be a deficiency. I doubt it would be a lock, I feed daily in coco full remo brand lineup at 3/4 strength. Also over water to ensure flushing since feeding daily. I’m nervous to introduce more nutrients to keep costs down and avoid burn. Maybe I should try full strength for a week? See if the one bounces back. I’ve never had issues even at 1/2 strength…
Thoughts?

You can always add nutes but u can't take them out. I don't know much details about ur grow but you said u water after feeding to flush in coco ? If you are flushing right after every feed that's the issue plus the coco is know to be lacking from jump. Try feeding at 1/3but do not water until runoff...the nutes are flushed out if u water til run off add feed but make sure it stays in the pot. If she still looking sick then flush wait 24 hrs n see what she is doing. That's all I can think of my friend

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
more info needed. what is it growing in, what light, where, fans, everything you can think of. the more info you give the better.

typically, that comes from one of 4 things, heat, light, wind or nute burn. you say it is not light or heat, that leaves nutes or wind. soil too hot maybe?
looks like light to me though. but they look very much alike. lights and nutes look most like yours.

edit: almost forgot...

no matter what is wrong, raise or dim the lights. under distress these plants respond best to less light and then fix it.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
yep some info needed, what kind of lights and how far away are they.,
temp and humidity?

Blakeja

Blakeja

yep some info needed, what kind of lights and how far away are they.,
temp and humidity?
Growing in coco
325 cmh @ 20” above canopy
6inch exhaust
Induced intake
2 six inch clip fans
1 36” tower fan osclating
Temps at 23-27 C
Humidity 45-65

I feel like it might be the tower fan that’s blasting the plant but the other one next to it is unphased mind you a different strain.
There is another of the same strain right next to the damaged plant under same light height flourishing. That’s what makes me think it’s the fan on the opposite side of the tent..

I will add a photo of the whole tent, plant in question is top left same strain top right tower fan center left.

thanks again everyone for your time.

E615CC70 2A2F 4211 9F82 B7A509275A6B
BirdLaw86

BirdLaw86

Be careful its not wind burn adding to what ever feeding issue youve got. Dont compound the issues so just be cautious and see how things go when backing light off and ruling out wind burn. Then if it still doesnt start tl clear up you can narrow it down to feeding issues.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
try to get a canopy, looking down at plant in question pictures

Blakeja

Blakeja

Been heavy on the calcium perhaps? Mostly I see Mg with a little K. Along with some burn that makes me think lockout.

I'm never keen to blame high light. Often we see problems blamed on light, at half of what a cannabis plant can take. Mg is one of the first things that is often found limiting, and we don't really have co2 deficiency. However, if it's low, processes can't complete. Leading to burn through accumulation of unused components. We will blame high light, but is it? Here I see the edges thickening up, and can't help wondering if that's a mix of high air flow and low co2. Driven in part by the light.

Excess calcium in leaves is often from lower Ca levels. Raising Ca may slow uptake. If the water/plant is warm, and Ca low, with high levels of evaporation, we can see excess Ca uptake. Which shows in Mg and K reduction.
It's a bit mystical, so I will offer a link: https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2019/07/calciums-behavior-in-nutrient-solutions.html

Washboard leaves. Wispy growth tips. Leaf tips veering off. Taco shapes. It's all Mg. We don't have to find stripes. Are you loosing lower leafs in an almost N like fashion?

I must say... plants are not my thing. I like scratching away at topics and do better than many. However it's tech I'm better with. Fixing grow conditions, and washing out the old for new.

Ya know, reading back, you say coco. Coco is loaded with K. I think I'm imagining a K deficiency, and it's just burn. Mg is easy to push out with excess nutes. I generally start with runoff EC when I get issues myself. It's a great gauge. I can't really go on without it.
Firstly great reply and info thank you!

I don’t think it would be any lockout? I feed at 3/4 recommended dosage with 40% + runoff. TDS outflow is very similar to inflow.

not loosing lower leafs but noticing more orange spotting/ dying like I have seen with cal/mag defic before mostly lower.

I think excessive air and light?..

I will flush that root ball too to be safe.

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I think Flat_Eric put down some good info and I agree with him. Also what’s your runoff EC and ph? I have had similar issues from both mg and ph of runoff was way off meaning the ph of coco was out of range not allowing the roots to uptake some nutrients. The runoff will help lead you to the problem.

Blakeja

Blakeja

Been heavy on the calcium perhaps? Mostly I see Mg with a little K. Along with some burn that makes me think lockout.

I'm never keen to blame high light. Often we see problems blamed on light, at half of what a cannabis plant can take. Mg is one of the first things that is often found limiting, and we don't really have co2 deficiency. However, if it's low, processes can't complete. Leading to burn through accumulation of unused components. We will blame high light, but is it? Here I see the edges thickening up, and can't help wondering if that's a mix of high air flow and low co2. Driven in part by the light.

Excess calcium in leaves is often from lower Ca levels. Raising Ca may slow uptake. If the water/plant is warm, and Ca low, with high levels of evaporation, we can see excess Ca uptake. Which shows in Mg and K reduction.
It's a bit mystical, so I will offer a link: https://scienceinhydroponics.com/2019/07/calciums-behavior-in-nutrient-solutions.html

Washboard leaves. Wispy growth tips. Leaf tips veering off. Taco shapes. It's all Mg. We don't have to find stripes. Are you loosing lower leafs in an almost N like fashion?

I must say... plants are not my thing. I like scratching away at topics and do better than many. However it's tech I'm better with. Fixing grow conditions, and washing out the old for new.

Ya know, reading back, you say coco. Coco is loaded with K. I think I'm imagining a K deficiency, and it's just burn. Mg is easy to push out with excess nutes. I generally start with runoff EC when I get issues myself. It's a great gauge. I can't really go on without it.

do you think potential calmag deficiency or too heavy? A lot to digest on your reply 👍😁

Blakeja

Blakeja

I think Flat_Eric put down some good info and I agree with him. Also what’s your runoff EC and ph? I have had similar issues from both mg and ph of runoff was way off meaning the ph of coco was out of range not allowing the roots to uptake some nutrients. The runoff will help lead you to the problem.
Runoff ph and tds both within range comparative to inflow levels..

really stumped here guys time to feed and no clear path forward lol.

lights are at a good height

nutrients going in are the same on the way out same with PH (minor fluctuations)

I feel like maybe my 3/4 of recommended dosage is lacking? Just wouldn’t make sense since the other three plants one of the same genetics even are flourishing..

@Aqua Man ?
@GNick55 ?
@Flat_Eric ?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Runoff ph and tds both within range comparative to inflow levels..

really stumped here guys time to feed and no clear path forward lol.

lights are at a good height

nutrients going in are the same on the way out same with PH (minor fluctuations)

I feel like maybe my 3/4 of recommended dosage is lacking? Just wouldn’t make sense since the other three plants one of the same genetics even are flourishing..

@Aqua Man ?
@GNick55 ?
@Flat_Eric ?
hey, i’ve never grown with coco so my advice could be wrong,
some good advice above..
maybe @Aqua Man will give his opinion when he’s here.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

It looks like chronic under watering, but in coco... Hmmmm... Heat wouldn't hurt it as much if it had more water...

Basic Watering

Watering COCO

GenghisChron

GenghisChron

One way to check light stress. Look at plants an hour or two before lights off. If they are droopy then you’re exceeding your DLI most likely and giving too much light. Other with MH is to place hand just above canopy and if it’s too hot on your hand after a few seconds then it’s too hot for the plants.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok I'm gonna pay for being so brazen on this but it looks and understand pics may be worth a 1000 words bit it doesn't mean this words are right lol....

Looks like you have mites, sprayed for pest control trol and now your leaves are burning on top of it from the spray and light combo.

Just what it looks like to me and I'm a moose riding, beer drinking, hockey loving drop out from kanukastan (stole that from @Frankster ) I ain't no fortune teller but any of that ring true?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Now that I got the wrong answer out if the way... what is your light cycle, twmls and humidity? Specifically mid lights on to late lights on.

Top Bottom