Reassure me Please?

• Thread starter Thatgirl
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Thatgirl

I know, a woman needing to be reassured, so cliche LOL!

Anyway, Hi all, new here and fairly new to growing (about a year), so please bear with me. I took over my parents small operation (legal) financially and all, when it became to difficult for them to manage due to health reasons. Dont worry, they are both still here, annoying the hell out of me, and I love it! LOL. They were doing hydro for 6ish years. However the room was really poorly set up, space was not utilized, equipment was ancient, and though indoors the room was far from properly protected from the outside elements. Despite all this, all had been running well for some years. Then, about 10 months after I took over, pm reared its ugly head. I am quite sure it came from some friends, but I guess I cant say for sure.

I immediately trashed everything, gutted the room, did my best to sterilize the room and whole damn area nearby as well. Then I hired a safe crew to build me a proper new room. I Then I killz2 primered everything, cleaned again, and then used fungicide fogger about 3 days before getting a few new clones from a very trusted source. All in all the room was down for 1.5 months. They are in organic soil, but I have a ton of nonorganic nutes that I cant afford to not use, the down time rebuild took nearly my last penny lol :( Anyway, I have two, 16" fans pointed on them, and will eventually get more as the room fills up. I dont have a thermometer, dehumidifier, or humidity monitor, or whatever else I need but am not aware of yet, but will get that asap. Point is, that I know there more work to do before I have things dialed in.

I am so on the fence about doing preventative treatments, reading here it seems that many do, but then I worry about resistance, and dont like the idea of spraying stuff on the plants (even the organic ones). With diligence, a clean room, clean starts, plenty of wind, and lower humidity, and whatever else I need to monitor and control (let me know), is there hope that I can not have pm without preventative care? Or do I need to suck it up and do at least some sort of something once in veg, and once early in bloom? Also any other random advice will be considered. Thanks much.
"Thatgirl"

squiggly

squiggly

If you end up having to do something--I'd burn sulfur. SO2 can be used as a nutrient by the plants when the stomata are open anyway--so at least its reasonably good for your plant (at the right levels).

Other than that, it sounds like you've done your due diligence. Remember to always tend to the room after a shower and in freshly washed clothes which haven't gone outside. You can avoid bringing many things into your garden doing this.

Also might be worth sterilizing those fans if you hadn't yet thought of that and they were in use previously.

T

Thatgirl

Hi thanks for your fast reply and your reassurance! lol. I do have a sulfur burner that I bought before tearing everything down. If I go that route, when is best to treat? Once right after I flip them? The fans are brand new out of the wrapping and the box. Everything is brand new, and I am using the plastic grow bags, will be new each time.

dankworth

dankworth

Hi thanks for your fast reply and your reassurance! lol. I do have a sulfur burner that I bought before tearing everything down. If I go that route, when is best to treat? Once right after I flip them? The fans are brand new out of the wrapping and the box. Everything is brand new, and I am using the plastic grow bags, will be new each time.

You may also consider a preventive line of defense with teas made with beneficial organisms, so pathogens may not find a foothold. May I suggest looking at Capulator's bennies on this site. His bacteria and fungi are the best value one can find in terms of colony forming units or spore count per dollar. Cheap, effective protection for your plants(higher growth rate as well).

B

Bluenote

More fans , a sulfur burner ( don't use in flower...though of course THAT's gonna start a damned arguement) , you *need* a hygrometer amd you're gonna have to get a dehumidifier most likely.

As far as PM , lay in some Eagle 20 for extreme emergencies , and a cursory search here will bring up a dozen other different less toxic alternatives.

Might want to google SNS244 ( Sierra Natural Scientific) , and when you get slapped with the spider mite invasion ( everyone fight the Borg occasionally) check out SNS 217 , and the Organocide offerings.

You'll be fine , you've done everything you needed to , just a couple of pieces of equipment and you'll be just fine.

B

Bluenote

You may also consider a preventive line of defense with teas made with beneficial organisms, so pathogens may not find a foothold. May I suggest looking at Capulator's bennies on this site. His bacteria and fungi are the best value one can find in terms of colony forming units or spore count per dollar. Cheap, effective protection for your plants(higher growth rate as well).

Seconnd that ^^^^ take DankW's advice in the above. And get a UV ( black) light .M fluoresces and you'll see it FAR sooner than with the naked eye unassisted.

T

Thatgirl

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I mean to say in my last reply that I also have shoes and clothes that I ONLY wear in the room now, and they are stored in a cubby outside of the room.

Dankworth how do I find that?

Bluenote yes I totally need to get a dehumidifier and a hygrometer! They are next on the list of purchases. I will get a blacklight for sure, I did not know that!

Venom818 :D

So basically to be totally safe, I AM going to need to do some preventative care, is the point I am getting?

B

Bluenote

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I mean to say in my last reply that I also have shoes and clothes that I ONLY wear in the room now, and they are stored in a cubby outside of the room.

Dankworth how do I find that?

Bluenote yes I totally need to get a dehumidifier and a hygrometer! They are next on the list of purchases. I will get a blacklight for sure, I did not know that!

Venom818 :D

So basically to be totally safe, I AM going to need to do some preventative care, is the point I am getting?

Yes Ma'am. A little bit goes a long way towards forestalling the Onslaught of The Borg and It's Minions.

lazarus718

lazarus718

This one might get me into trouble, but I say ditch the clothes... J/K, on a serious note I think everyone would like to know more about the makings of your grow room. Any exposed lumber? (That sounded bad)

K

kolah

Manno, manno, women on the forum sure do get the guys a' jumpin'..........

We need more women growers. Welcome!

For your PM blues, you might want to try 30% hydrogen peroxide mixed 3 parts water to 1 part HP. Pressure spray it.

...continue on..... :)

phenotyper

phenotyper

9/10, these posts are by dudes hoping to get a fast response for their problems. throw in a few lols, and whammo, "girl grower".

T

Thatgirl

Ok, I will get serious about doing preventative. I will do a sulfur burn before I start blooming them, since that is what I have right now, and find something I can live with to use once during bloom. Is that going to be enough for a new, clean room do you think?

Lol funny lazarus! What do you mean exposed lumber? Not painted with killz? There are some of the high up spots that I didnt get to, need to find the tall ladder and get it done.

kolah I dont have pm now, and hopefully it wont return! I dont have a pressure sprayer either, will probably go another avenue for preventative care. Thank you though!

phenotyper, omg am I a dude or am I a chick? LOL! ;) I am not having a problem right now, I just want to make sure I am on the right track to never having a problem again!

lazarus718

lazarus718

Yeah, anything exposed is probably going to contribute to a mildew problem unless it has been sealed from moisture properly. Once you get mildew or mold in wood you'll have it forever. The Killz works pretty good as a primer, I think of mold like a rust and it finds its way through eventually. I think the sulfur is a good preventative, just shut it off after you are a week or two into flower! Glad to have a rare female grower joining the forums, it's good to get some different insight and viewpoints around here! Let's see some pics of the grow!

squiggly

squiggly

Yeah, anything exposed is probably going to contribute to a mildew problem unless it has been sealed from moisture properly. Once you get mildew or mold in wood you'll have it forever. The Killz works pretty good as a primer, I think of mold like a rust and it finds its way through eventually. I think the sulfur is a good preventative, just shut it off after you are a week or two into flower! Glad to have a rare female grower joining the forums, it's good to get some different insight and viewpoints around here! Let's see some pics of the grow!

There are products which have been shown to have the ability to kill mold buried deep within wood. I believe Moldex makes such a product--it doesn't always work but regardless of its (in)ability to completely kill off a particular mold it is a powerful mold inhibitor and will suppress growth well. If used correctly, any mold which stays living in the wood will stay in the wood.

lazarus718

lazarus718

There are products which have been shown to have the ability to kill mold buried deep within wood. I believe Moldex makes such a product--it doesn't always work but regardless of its (in)ability to completely kill off a particular mold it is a powerful mold inhibitor and will suppress growth well. If used correctly, any mold which stays living in the wood will stay in the wood.

I concur.

T

Thatgirl

Is this the stuff you are talking about squiggly?

lazarus I am JUST getting started again right now, and only have a few babies, maybe someday I will.

dankworth

dankworth

Thatgirl, you will want to look on this site under the Nutrients section to find Capulator's beneficials.

T

Thatgirl

Thanks dankworth!

Lazarus I am honestly kind of paranoid about taking and posting photos. I know its probably totally safe to do so, especially with digital, but I am having trouble shaking the old school way of no evidence on paper! Lol :) Maybe someday I will get over it.

Top Bottom