Reconfiguring My Bucket Feed To Be More Evenly Distibuted

• Thread starter h4ppyf4rmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I'm having flow issues in my RDWC system and I'm looking solutions to even out my flow. My current system is setup like this:

Reconfiguring my bucket feed to be more evenly distibuted 2

Reconfiguring my bucket feed to be more evenly distibuted 3

I'm pretty sure the first couple of buckets are getting the most flow and the last bucket is getting somewhat starved. The water does reach the exit port of the last bucket but it takes much longer to get there than the first bucket.

without re-configuring the exit port and just re-configuring the feed, I'd like to get a more even flow to the buckets

here are a couple of thoughts:

this picture is what I run in my veg tent, seems to work okay but the buckets are much closer to each other.
Reconfiguring my bucket feed to be more evenly distibuted

or

this picture is the easiest to implement with my current setup, I just have to add a piece of tubing, the fitting are already in place to do it
Reconfiguring my bucket feed to be more evenly distibuted 4

or

Reconfiguring my bucket feed to be more evenly distibuted 5

thanks

FennarioMike

FennarioMike

They way you have it configured, with the water level higher in the buckets so that it can drain up top and pour back to the rez...

1 - Your pump is providing the pressure to push that water up to that level - so that pressure from the higher water in all the buckets is pushing back against your pump, limiting flow.
2 - since it's not a sealed system (the buckets are open to atmospheric pressure) The pressure that's coming out of the pump is going to try to relieve itself at the first opening - so that first bucket will fill more.
3 - The water level in the first bucket will start to drain and as soon as that happens, if it's draining faster than any residual pressure can fill the next in series, then most of the flow will go through bucket 1 and drain back.

Another way to do it which avoids this...

Don't have a pump push water into the buckets - have it PULL water from the bottom and dump back into the top of the control rez. If you connect the bottoms in series - in maybe 2 rows - and have a T junction at the end where the return pump pulls from. This way, it's pulling from the last 2 buckets, and gravity pushes the water from the other buckets.

This is an under current way of doing it. Like this... Doing it this way, all the connections are at the bottom and the lines between the buckets are 1.5x larger than the return. This allows for adequate flow between buckets and also so that you can't ever pull more water than the gravity can replace.
14-UC6XL.jpg

sixstring

sixstring

What about just putting some ball valves on the first 4 buckets in line.then you could close the first 2 halfway and the second 2 a quarter and then the last 2 buckets would receive more flow.this would be totally adjustable at that point so you can dial it right in so all buckets will fill in the same amount of time. I would think that unless all the supply lines were the same length you will always have balance issues.the ball valves would def change that.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

I do like the under current way, and I might look into building something like that if I can't get my system to act right.

I don't mind a little imbalance but I think 6 on one line is too much. I'm not going to do anything until everything is chopped down in the tent. Chopped two plants tonight, had to do it a tad early but I was having too many issues and didn't to loose everything.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

They way you have it configured, with the water level higher in the buckets so that it can drain up top and pour back to the rez...

1 - Your pump is providing the pressure to push that water up to that level - so that pressure from the higher water in all the buckets is pushing back against your pump, limiting flow.
2 - since it's not a sealed system (the buckets are open to atmospheric pressure) The pressure that's coming out of the pump is going to try to relieve itself at the first opening - so that first bucket will fill more.
3 - The water level in the first bucket will start to drain and as soon as that happens, if it's draining faster than any residual pressure can fill the next in series, then most of the flow will go through bucket 1 and drain back.

Another way to do it which avoids this...

Don't have a pump push water into the buckets - have it PULL water from the bottom and dump back into the top of the control rez. If you connect the bottoms in series - in maybe 2 rows - and have a T junction at the end where the return pump pulls from. This way, it's pulling from the last 2 buckets, and gravity pushes the water from the other buckets.

This is an under current way of doing it. Like this... Doing it this way, all the connections are at the bottom and the lines between the buckets are 1.5x larger than the return. This allows for adequate flow between buckets and also so that you can't ever pull more water than the gravity can replace.
14-UC6XL.jpg

hmmm, I'm wondering if I could do this with a 1/2" pull line with a 3/4" connection between the buckets. That would match your 1.5X size between the buckets with the return line. The 1/2 and 3/4 bulkhead connectors work/seal fine with a standard 5 Gallon round bucket, not so sure with a larger bulkhead like 1".

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Just put T's in the last buckets and connect all 6 in a full loop
yeah, that was my second to last picture. "T" the last bucket and bring it all the way back to the beginning of the feed at the reservoir. I could also use @sixstring idea and ball valve right after the "T" out of the reservoir to control the amount going in which direction.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Just connect the ends of the two runs to make a loop. Super simple. Been doing these systems for many years
are you saying to do this:
Note: adding the blue lines?

Upload 2017 8 24 12 3 52

because I was thinking of implementing the picture below.
the picture below would be the easiest to implement with the least amount of rework on the current system.
Note: added line in blue, two green ball valves

Upload 2017 8 24 12 10 12

edit: after looking at the two pictures, I believe they are the same configuration just with added ball valves.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

Connect the feets in a circular loop like this
ahhh, ok, that heavier black lines are the 3/4" gravity return back to the reservoir. The red line is the 1/2" feed in the middle. The problem I'm having is the last bucket in the feed line is not getting enough water/nute flow. By adding the blue line and the two ball valves, I believe I can even out the flow to the last buckets to be the same as the first buckets.

BTW, you need to pick a Kicker for your team };-)

DetGrnThumb

DetGrnThumb

I'd personally do 2 pumps and have them each run 3. Ball valves are always good to manually adjust flow as needed

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I'm pretty sure that would be too small, although, I did consider making my own 6-port manifold and have one feed line to each bucket.
It's 20 gallons per hour per line. I can't imagine that's not enough. It's what I use with good results.

h4ppyf4rmer

h4ppyf4rmer

It's 20 gallons per hour per line. I can't imagine that's not enough. It's what I use with good results.
Currently I'm actually pushing about 65 gph per bucket (if evenly distributed) through 1/2" lines

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Currently I'm actually pushing about 65 gph per bucket (if evenly distributed) through 1/2" lines
Whatever for? I use 2 gph drip emitters. 65 gph is simply unnecessary. At any rate, I'm sure larger manifolds are available.

Top Bottom