Recurring main breaker MELTDOWN!!! any ideas???

• Thread starter 420Gator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
420Gator

420Gator

I told a landlord I needed to hire an electrician to "hook up a plug for my welder"....

he just so happened to find that a 200 amp service was needed.:)
and they didnt wanna send there own person to look? my landlord manages alot of properties and would probly have someone here in a couple hours

Tell your landlord to pay for it, that is complete garbage. That just looks nasty. And the close ups look dangerous.

I saw that picture and tell the landlord that it his place and he needs to fix it
Next.

would u guys really with grow related stuff in most the rooms?

oh well maybe i should move all my shit out so i can call,i am currently not flowering

U

Underground

If you're asking if I would fix it as the landlord, yes. Whether or not you are growing, there is still a problem. It didn't just show up because you are growing. I would def assume there was a problem prior to. The only legitimate gripe I can see is that it was not repaired properly the first time and it may have been able to have been saved.

U

Underground

Underground passes me up on ton of info on me. Props my man! I use to be just an ex electrician asst. Just knew the basic 101. Witch thats all we need some times.

I saw that picture and tell the landlord that it his place and he needs to fix it. I personally will not spend money on a place then leave it behind. Sorry it has to go with me...

Do you have any idea on how to make the power bill less with out Stealing? like to know if you got some tricks to mod to a place.

Next.

If you wanted to build a bank of capacitors and some electronic switching that could detect capacitive or inductive reactance you could automatically correct the power factor (thereby becoming more efficient) by connecting the capacitors into the circuit. That's how the power company does it.
LOL
They used to sell a cap kit that was in a receptacle that you plugged in and then plugged your fridge into that. The only problem with that is while the cap may correct the power factor if it's the right size, the cap is in the circuit at all times so it draws when the compressor is not on!
If you want free power, try and get your hands on solar. It would be preferable over wind because there are no moving parts to maintain. I've never done either, but would love to.

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

Your talking about harmonics. You have to test the lines some times to check that out. Personally place a capacitors for my main bus bars. Helps with spikes big time. Any other info you might be able to pass on me or some kind of XL idea that out does my mini set up.

Next place i am going to, the electrical check is a must. I keep finding rentals with a washer dryer socket 30A @220V witch is enough for 4 x1000w then another 6x 20A@120V. You might be in some old place that is in 1920s or no far. Toss a coin my friend and play your options. Keep safe!

U

Underground

Actually, harmonics or I think triplens they are also called, build up on the waveform. They are basically another waveform that rides the other waveform so that the peak current is actually increased. Capacitive and inductive reactance pull the voltage and current waveforms out of sync so that one leads the other. In capacitive reactance, the voltage leads the current. In inductive reactance (motors, transformers), the current leads the voltage. To correct this, a running capacitor is added to a motor to correct the power factor and bring the waveforms back in sync.

Harmonics really only exist in 3 phase systems, or systems that use two phase conductors of a 3 phase system to energize two poles of a single phase system- such as many large multi-unit apartment buildings.

R

robbiedublu

Speaking as a landlord myself, i'd fix it, then send you the bill. If I understood everything correctly, you have 100amp service and were running 8k in lights plus air conditioning plus whatever else. Not sure if you actually live there or not. If your landlord's an idiot he'll just pay, but for myself, minimal investigation would show it's most likely your fault. I'd probably evict you , keep your deposit and sue for the rest. But then i'm kind of a dick when my property is damaged through someone else's negligence. Maybe your landlord won't care.

K

kinzla34

I had a similar problem and we found that the problrm was due to several issues but primarily it was a result of a connection at the weatherhead where the utility wires had connected to my wires had a connection that was loose. This created heating and cooling of the connection and it got progressively worse on the main. BTW the connection was copper to aluminum. More on that....

I have a commercial 3 ph 4 w 120/208 service and the wires go down to a meter base. All of the bussing is aluminum and these connections, even behind the meter have got to be maintenanced. Dimming lights should have been an indication.

On a commercial service like mine, at the meter is something called test blocks. This is for the utility to service the meter by backing off a nut with a washer under it. This washer is aluminum and you could not see it from looking at it but underneath it the washer was COOKED! This made for about a very intermittent voltage flow. WhenI loaded the system up the problems began.

Keep an anti-oxidant on copper to aluminum connections as dissimilat metals expand and contract leaving loose connections. It's not entirely impossible that the problems can be occuring on utility wiring as well though this is less likely.

Proper wiring is essential to everone but so important to those of us who use continuos high wattage connections. I hope you find it before there's a fire.

U

Underground

Speaking as a landlord myself, i'd fix it, then send you the bill. If I understood everything correctly, you have 100amp service and were running 8k in lights plus air conditioning plus whatever else. Not sure if you actually live there or not. If your landlord's an idiot he'll just pay, but for myself, minimal investigation would show it's most likely your fault. I'd probably evict you , keep your deposit and sue for the rest. But then i'm kind of a dick when my property is damaged through someone else's negligence. Maybe your landlord won't care.

Unless he caused the poor connection, this is not his fault. Or I should say he was not responsible until he changed out the breaker. It may have been able to have been saved, but that is doubtful. Something, most likely corrosion, caused a poor connection and it snowballed from there. It could also have been something like connecting the breaker under a load, or pressure being applied to the breaker from the conductors.

In the end, a landlord may have been able to limp this along for a little while but not all that long. Replacing this panel was inevitable. This is not a problem that was caused by the load, it was a problem revealed because of the load.

W

weedfarm

I suggest you get it fixed properly. Either pay for it yourself, or clean up and get the landlord in. Take cuts of all your genetics to save them.

I would suggest putting everything into a Uhaul truck but this may take a few days to sort out from when the LL looks at it till it gets fixed. Not sure if the plants will survive that long depending on weather, etc

this is something you gamble on when you rent.

Latest posts

Top Bottom