Red mites not going away - harvest? Wash?

• Thread starter Brendan311
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Brendan311

Hey All,

Have a few plants I started late (hit soil early june) so are just finishing up flower stage now. If I had to guess could use up to two more weeks of flowering time to maximize potency/yield.

However, I am now understanding why folks call mites the borg. As i had sprayed azamax and spinosad begrudingly right before flower at first sign and they seemed to be gone.

However saw they came back a week ago and are red ones (was all white/black before...). I have been basically just trying to keep the population down by putting a fan on the plants, adding diatomaceous earth on bottom, spraying fan leaves only with neam oil, and tried spraying leaves with oil/water mix and basically everything i have read online that wouldnt mess with the flowers...

Basically i am wondering, am i better off just harvesting now before they ruin the flowers? Or just try to manage as I am for another week? Or do i perhaps break down and do a full spray of like azamax and just plan on rinsing the buds when i harvest? Never done it before but read that folks do it to clean up any remnants from bugs and sprays.

Really appreciate the advice... As this is for a home grow, not commerical as i realize if i had a ton of plants folks say to just trash em... But this is all i got unless i start over new indoor grow until next season.

The plant most concerned with is this one, blue dream. Its way bigger between socal genes and 15g bucket and seems to have more of the mites.
Red mites not going away   harvest wash
Red mites not going away   harvest wash 2
Red mites not going away   harvest wash 3

This one is OG Kush, seems to have a few mites but is much cleaner looking than the blue dream. Buds have really come in over past week with sugar leaves coming out purpleish, likely due to colder weather at night and indica genes.. as the other two that are sativa heavy show not a single lick of purple in same conditions. But it grew in really wierdly during vegatation phase as had originally started indoors but did better once went outside. Not huge yield with 5 gallon bucket but looks quality

Red mites not going away   harvest wash 4
Red mites not going away   harvest wash 5
Red mites not going away   harvest wash 6

This last one I am not even sure the strain, it was a random seed i found in my weed but seems sativa heavy based on smell and look.
Red mites not going away   harvest wash 7
Red mites not going away   harvest wash 8

Really appreciate advice in besy way to handle between desire to minimize damage to smokable weed while maximizing potency and yield of harvest

B

Burned Haze

One suggestion is get yourself a usb 100-1000x+ computer scope (they are cheap on amazon, tons of models )& anther great thing about them it helps you know when your harvest is done compared to a mobile microscope , I never could see shit with those things lol,and then take samples to your scope so you can get a better view on what kind of species of mites you have . It wouldn’t matter what nuke or what pesticides your fighting if it’s the wrong species your fighting the whole process . Plus these kind of IPM things from being able to see eggs to taking pics to small specied bugs or even finding any. Saves you before you get high populations and you have to “ go nuke” or use chemicals that would never would be needed IPM is scheduled and processed ( not dissing you, trying to educate )

If I was going to suggest something it would be IPM for broad mites and soft bodied pest management: Grandevo and venerate xc + wetting agent to both every 3 days up to harvest . I applied grandevo ( + regalia as my systemic fungicide) than every 7 days venerate xc for this outdoors) if I had your issues I would of did every 3 days and regalia every 7days since it’s only needed every 7-10days

Those two products will work together (don’t mix em together lol, I mean rotate IPM ) to not only protect, repel and kill ( not instantly and not for huge population infections but great products exp for flower stage foliar accepted and work so good on so many pest management/repel or killing them )
You can apply these in cannabis flower stage and since it’s not a beneficial bacteria or nasty oil based, check out the sci and try it out ! Once I started started using biocontrol instead of traditional IPM and pest management .

if you have want to use your household hydro ingredients to battle those mites , you could could apply cold water with h202 @ “Pour 8 ounces of 3-percent ( if you have higher % make that percentage for cheaper way to make 3% than buying it) hydrogen peroxide in 1 gallon of water, and add 8 ounces blackstrap molasses or white sugar + wetting agent like yucca . Stir the solution and pour it into a spray bottle. Then, spray the plant with the mixture, fully soaking the surface underneath the leaves, the soil and the crown of the plant”

Last edited by a moderator:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hey All,

Have a few plants I started late (hit soil early june) so are just finishing up flower stage now. If I had to guess could use up to two more weeks of flowering time to maximize potency/yield.

However, I am now understanding why folks call mites the borg. As i had sprayed azamax and spinosad begrudingly right before flower at first sign and they seemed to be gone.

However saw they came back a week ago and are red ones (was all white/black before...). I have been basically just trying to keep the population down by putting a fan on the plants, adding diatomaceous earth on bottom, spraying fan leaves only with neam oil, and tried spraying leaves with oil/water mix and basically everything i have read online that wouldnt mess with the flowers...

Basically i am wondering, am i better off just harvesting now before they ruin the flowers? Or just try to manage as I am for another week? Or do i perhaps break down and do a full spray of like azamax and just plan on rinsing the buds when i harvest? Never done it before but read that folks do it to clean up any remnants from bugs and sprays.

Really appreciate the advice... As this is for a home grow, not commerical as i realize if i had a ton of plants folks say to just trash em... But this is all i got unless i start over new indoor grow until next season.

The plant most concerned with is this one, blue dream. Its way bigger between socal genes and 15g bucket and seems to have more of the mites.
View attachment 902678View attachment 902679View attachment 902680

This one is OG Kush, seems to have a few mites but is much cleaner looking than the blue dream. Buds have really come in over past week with sugar leaves coming out purpleish, likely due to colder weather at night and indica genes.. as the other two that are sativa heavy show not a single lick of purple in same conditions. But it grew in really wierdly during vegatation phase as had originally started indoors but did better once went outside. Not huge yield with 5 gallon bucket but looks quality

View attachment 902681View attachment 902682View attachment 902683

This last one I am not even sure the strain, it was a random seed i found in my weed but seems sativa heavy based on smell and look.View attachment 902684View attachment 902685

Really appreciate advice in besy way to handle between desire to minimize damage to smokable weed while maximizing potency and yield of harvest
Whichever you choose to do I would recommend you wash that bud regardless, best wishes

B

Brendan311

One suggestion is get yourself a usb 100-1000x+ computer scope (they are cheap on amazon, tons of models )& anther great thing about them it helps you know when your harvest is done compared to a mobile microscope , I never could see shit with those things lol,and then take samples to your scope so you can get a better view on what kind of species of mites you have . It wouldn’t matter what nuke or what pesticides your fighting if it’s the wrong species your fighting the whole process . Plus these kind of IPM things from being able to see eggs to taking pics to small specied bugs or even finding any. Saves you before you get high populations and you have to “ go nuke” or use chemicals that would never would be needed IPM is scheduled and processed ( not dissing you, trying to educate )

Yeah I tried buying this 'Orb' camera on amazon which claims 50x magnification but for fucks sake it doesn't come with a stand, requires you plugging it to computer and bringing out to the plant with you and I can't get it to take a clear picture to save my life. Any recommendations? This is only my 2nd grow... if you noticed I did buy a big net to cover them as last year I had a rude introduction to budworms which ruined almost my entire crop. At least this year I harvested 3 plants clean, and just these 3 dealing with the mites.... but ya def agree get smarter to not only detect early but properly detect... and definitely need to figure out how to proactively prevent. shit is more work than expected and dont have a ton of time.

If I was going to suggest something it would be IPM for broad mites and soft bodied pest management: Grandevo and venerate xc + wetting agent to both every 3 days up to harvest . I applied grandevo ( + regalia as my systemic fungicide) than every 7 days venerate xc for this outdoors) if I had your issues I would of did every 3 days and regalia every 7days since it’s only needed every 7-10days

Those two products will work together (don’t mix em together lol, I mean rotate IPM ) to not only protect, repel and kill ( not instantly and not for huge population infections but great products exp for flower stage foliar accepted and work so good on so many pest management/repel or killing them )
You can apply these in cannabis flower stage and since it’s not a beneficial bacteria or nasty oil based, check out the sci and try it out ! Once I started started using biocontrol instead of traditional IPM and pest management .

Never heard of either of these products... just mix and foliar spray on that rotation? Any work about getting on the flowers? Also, those are huge expensive packages that make sense for commercial grow (plus no reviews). Is there somewhere with smaller amounts to purchase? I have seen so much snake oil seemingly when it comes to cannibus growing related products that I tend to start skeptical, and thats too big an investment given 3 plants.

if you have want to use your household hydro ingredients to battle those mites , you could could apply cold water with h202 @ “Pour 8 ounces of 3-percent ( if you have higher % make that percentage for cheaper way to make 3% than buying it) hydrogen peroxide in 1 gallon of water, and add 8 ounces blackstrap molasses or white sugar + wetting agent like yucca . Stir the solution and pour it into a spray bottle. Then, spray the plant with the mixture, fully soaking the surface underneath the leaves, the soil and the crown of the plant”
Interesting... I did try using the OG Biowar Foliar spray compost TEA (added foliar pack and rootpack + blackstrap and some worm castings) but it didn't seem to do much to the mites. I will try this though. Anything to just buy me another week to minimize damage and let them finish it out. Learn from it for next year to be preventative.[/QUOTE]

B

Brendan311

Whichever you choose to do I would recommend you wash that bud regardless, best wishes

Yeah, have never done that before... any advice or links on best way to do it? Is it as simple as getting 2 buckets of distilled water... adding some H202 in the first, and than the second untouched for a clean follow up rinse and than hang them?

or do I try to like rub them or shakethem in the water lol... i honestly don't know. Wetting buds always seemed like it would hurt the flower but am reading that it doesn't too much... and here in socal its very dry so should dry out again quickly presumably.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Yeah, have never done that before... any advice or links on best way to do it? Is it as simple as getting 2 buckets of distilled water... adding some H202 in the first, and than the second untouched for a clean follow up rinse and than hang them?

or do I try to like rub them or shakethem in the water lol... i honestly don't know. Wetting buds always seemed like it would hurt the flower but am reading that it doesn't too much... and here in socal its very dry so should dry out again quickly presumably.

QuestForZest

QuestForZest

Yeah I tried buying this 'Orb' camera on amazon which claims 50x magnification but for fucks sake it doesn't come with a stand, requires you plugging it to computer and bringing out to the plant with you and I can't get it to take a clear picture to save my life. Any recommendations? This is only my 2nd grow... if you noticed I did buy a big net to cover them as last year I had a rude introduction to budworms which ruined almost my entire crop. At least this year I harvested 3 plants clean, and just these 3 dealing with the mites.... but ya def agree get smarter to not only detect early but properly detect... and definitely need to figure out how to proactively prevent. shit is more work than expected and dont have a ton of time.

Never heard of either of these products... just mix and foliar spray on that rotation? Any work about getting on the flowers? Also, those are huge expensive packages that make sense for commercial grow (plus no reviews). Is there somewhere with smaller amounts to purchase? I have seen so much snake oil seemingly when it comes to cannibus growing related products that I tend to start skeptical, and thats too big an investment given 3 plants.

Interesting... I did try using the OG Biowar Foliar spray compost TEA (added foliar pack and rootpack + blackstrap and some worm castings) but it didn't seem to do much to the mites. I will try this though. Anything to just buy me another week to minimize damage and let them finish it out. Learn from it for next year to be preventative.
[/QUOTE]

It's true those products that were suggested are very expensive and if you're in California you can not get them without an agricultural license...

There's also a product called plant therapy which you can get in a small bottle and is safe to use up till Harvest... It does however have an oil as a emulsion (canola) but it should definitely help your situation...

QuestForZest

QuestForZest

It's true those products that were suggested are very expensive and if you're in California you can not get them without an agricultural license...

There's also a product called plant therapy which you can get in a small bottle and is safe to use up till Harvest... It does however have an oil as a emulsion (canola) but it should definitely help your situation...
[/QUOTE]

I cannot decipher from the pictures that you posted what insect you're dealing with but I have heard success with ISO alcohol and Dawn dish soap if you have aphids or scales.. I myself have not personally tried it but it's worth a shot..

Latest posts

Top Bottom