Red tick/bug looking insect in worm bin

• Thread starter PhMe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhMe

PhMe

I received my worms today, and after inspecting it. I notice some red looking bug crawling around with the worms

I looked it up, it said it is common to find these with your worms. My question is, is it safe for me to use "Diatomaceous Earth" in my worm bin without killing my worm?

Some say it's safe but I want to get some more opinion on this.

drbombay

drbombay

your worms have been under a fair amount of stress with traveling. i would not add de. it is a very rough edged grit for their bodies. can you float the unwanted bugs out with a rain water or filter water(ro/di) rinse? after they have adjusted de is ok i guess . i only put it in the finished bottom layer for the silica. mostly they get sand green sand and granite dust for digestion aid. oh and crab meal/clam shell bits. the last two are my favorites.

OGONLY

OGONLY

My girlfriend put my worm bin under my t5 yesterday because they were trying to get out. When I went to move them I noticed there were lots of super small red bugs crawling on the bedding in the bin. I've seen these before elsewhere but don't know what they are. They are like the size of a pin head and leave a red smear when killed.
I wouldn't have noticed them if they were not under the light. Looks like they like the moist environment. Hopefully they don't become an issue.

ttystikk

ttystikk

My girlfriend put my worm bin under my t5 yesterday because they were trying to get out. When I went to move them I noticed there were lots of super small red bugs crawling on the bedding in the bin. I've seen these before elsewhere but don't know what they are. They are like the size of a pin head and leave a red smear when killed.
I wouldn't have noticed them if they were not under the light. Looks like they like the moist environment. Hopefully they don't become an issue.

Before assuming they're bad, check them out under a microscope. Do they have 8 legs? That would make them arachnids, not insects- and between that, their preference for moisture and color, they stand a good chance of being biological spider mite PREDATORS. You would definitely not want to get rid of those!

PhMe

PhMe

your worms have been under a fair amount of stress with traveling. i would not add de. it is a very rough edged grit for their bodies. can you float the unwanted bugs out with a rain water or filter water(ro/di) rinse? after they have adjusted de is ok i guess . i only put it in the finished bottom layer for the silica. mostly they get sand green sand and granite dust for digestion aid. oh and crab meal/clam shell bits. the last two are my favorites.

thank, I'll keep the crab meal/clam shell bits in mind.

Before assuming they're bad, check them out under a microscope. Do they have 8 legs? That would make them arachnids, not insects- and between that, their preference for moisture and color, they stand a good chance of being biological spider mite PREDATORS. You would definitely not want to get rid of those!

I tired to even capture one to take a look, but it's harder then it sound without smashing it or having it stand still. I just thought it was crazy when I was transferring the worms into my bin and all i saw was red bugs all over my hand and got worried.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I tired to even capture one to take a look, but it's harder then it sound without smashing it or having it stand still. I just thought it was crazy when I was transferring the worms into my bin and all i saw was red bugs all over my hand and got worried.

The faster they are, the more likely they are to be predators. The plants aren't moving, so the parasites we want to eradicate don't need to move very fast.

PhMe

PhMe

The faster they are, the more likely they are to be predators. The plants aren't moving, so the parasites we want to eradicate don't need to move very fast.

Thanks, they are indeed moving fast.

Top Bottom