Reduced leaflets, corkscrewing, revegging signs but never flowered?

• Thread starter StebeBrule
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StebeBrule

StebeBrule

I don’t know what is going on with my plants, all started from seed in April. All have been growing fine until several weeks ago when new leaves started growing with progressively fewer leaflets and malformations like corkscrewing and and curling up at the teeth margins. To me this looks a lot like plants that I’ve seen revegged but these have never flowered. From what I’ve found online it could be pH instability or possibly mites? I’ve checked the undersides of leaves pretty thoroughly and can’t find any crawlers except the occasional aphid. They were started and grew fine for a couple months in a soil mix I made myself and when I repotted them a couple weeks ago I bulked up the soil with two brands of bagged soil, EB Stone Edna’s Best and Grow 420. I have been feeding pretty constantly since May with around 500ppm 4-1-1 fish emulsion. Any ideas?

thanks
Reduced leaflets corkscrewing revegging signs but never flowered
Reduced leaflets corkscrewing revegging signs but never flowered 2
Reduced leaflets corkscrewing revegging signs but never flowered 3
Reduced leaflets corkscrewing revegging signs but never flowered 4

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
It looks like the leaves are chewed up in some places, check under the leaves for any pest with a loupe if you have one. Probably a ph issues, what nutes are you giving?

StebeBrule

StebeBrule

It looks like the leaves are chewed up in some places, check under the leaves for any pest with a loupe if you have one. Probably a ph issues, what nutes are you giving?

Ive checked under quite a few leaves, old chewed up ones and new ones, high and low and all my plants with a 60X scope and I can’t find anything other than a couple leaf hoppers and aphids. I’ve been feeding with Master Nursery 4-1-1 fish emulsion at half the manufacturers recommended strength which comes out to around 500 ppm on my cheap tds meter. I water about every 2 or three days these days,with every second or third watering being straight hose water. Fert water and hose water is around pH of 6-6.5

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
Ive checked under quite a few leaves, old chewed up ones and new ones, high and low and all my plants with a 60X scope and I can’t find anything other than a couple leaf hoppers and aphids. I’ve been feeding with Master Nursery 4-1-1 fish emulsion at half the manufacturers recommended strength which comes out to around 500 ppm on my cheap tds meter. I water about every 2 or three days these days,with every second or third watering being straight hose water. Fert water and hose water is around pH of 6-6.5
What's the temp/rh ?

StebeBrule

StebeBrule

What's the temp/rh ?
Days are usually in the low 80s we’ve had some days in the 90s here and there. Night temps into the low 50s. RH is moderate. Maybe 30-50%? Inland Northern Cal with some coastal influence.

StebeBrule

StebeBrule

I would do a slurry test, and get an accurate reading of the ph of your hose water I'd bet its probably 7.5-8.0
ok will do thanks. I did a slurry back when I mixed my soil but I can’t remember if I used ro or tap for that

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
ok will do thanks. I did a slurry back when I mixed my soil but I can’t remember if I used ro or tap for that
Make sure you use ro, and make sure that you let it bubble up and steep before. If you need more info just let me know.

StebeBrule

StebeBrule

Make sure you use ro, and make sure that you let it bubble up and steep before. If you need more info just let me know.

Hose water soil slurry is reading 6.8, RO slurry is 6.7. Any suggestions for where to check to find broad mites if this is the case? I can’t find them on any leaf surface, calyx, pistil, or stem I check. Is there a time of day they are more likely to be active on the plants surface?

StebeBrule

StebeBrule

Update: guy at hydro shop said it could be genetics or mites. I don’t think it’s genetics because I’m growing multiple strains that are experiencing this. I sprayed with sulfur in case it’s mites but I’m back to thinking it’s root related. The roots could be experiencing stress because they reached the bottom of my raised beds and hit the hard packed native clay soil beneath. I was growing them in fabric pots for the first two months, then I transplanted them to burlap raised beds around 12 inches deep by 3 ft wide with only hardware cloth as a bottom. Root growth in the potting soil is tremendous and they have tons of it available still, so I hope that they can overcome this.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I don't see any white dots or at least enough to think that it's a bad enough mite infestation to be doing that

It might have something to do with your homemade soil, you might want to do a slurry test with distilled or RO water and post your results

StebeBrule

StebeBrule

I don't see any white dots or at least enough to think that it's a bad enough mite infestation to be doing that

It might have something to do with your homemade soil, you might want to do a slurry test with distilled or RO water and post your results
I already did. Read several comments up.
I should also reiterate that they were all started in my homemade soil and had been growing well for more than two months before they started growing like this. Male plants that are still growing in entirely my homemade soil in smaller pots never became deformed like this

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I already did. Read several comments up.
I should also reiterate that they were all started in my homemade soil and had been growing well for more than two months before they started growing like this. Male plants that are still growing in entirely my homemade soil in smaller pots never became deformed like this
What was the PPM of the slurry? Did you spray anything on them recently?

StebeBrule

StebeBrule

What time of day did you spray? What solution did you use?
Bonide in the evening per manufacturers directions.

The pictures are pre-sulfur spray so how do they look burned? There has been no change since I spray them

Oa.ahhu

Oa.ahhu

Supporter
Bonide in the evening per manufacturers directions.

The pictures are pre-sulfur spray so how do they look burned? There has been no change since I spray them
Have you sprayed them with anything else ever?

Latest posts

Top Bottom