Reef Tank Protein Skimmer Skimmate Fish Poo

• Thread starter anti
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

anti

Hello, I have a 75 gal reef tank and I have a protein skimmer that pulls about a pint or two of this dark brown smelly fish poo juice every few days, I havent PH tested it but every time I clean the skimmer out I feel like im throwing away something that I could possible be using on my plants at least for some flavor if nothing else, anyone ever use this shit??? I guess the only concern is that the liquid part of the fish poo is salt water and growing in coco salt build up can already be a problem, the other concern would be the PH of the poo which can easily be tested I think ima give it a shot ?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

What if it was diluted and broken down with enzymes? Salinity is a factor - I would never apply directly to soil - but what if it was diluted, ph'ed, aerated with enzymes and the mix tested for salinity?
I've often thought it could be very useful. NftG line loves its seafood and the plants sing and pray ...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You can test for specific gravity, total salinity may require some different types of testing other than what I'm familiar with. I would expect SG to be rather high, simply because skimmate is so concentrated (assuming your skimmer is working properly!). I don't think you'd need to add enzymes, and diluted it could be alright but I would be careful due to the inability to test just for NaCl.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

And coco uses salt ferts anyway. NftG uses lots of seafood.

I think testing for gravity this would really work. Also remember (as you know), one can run a very wet skimmate.

Further, I wonder if it would make a good foliar and bug repellent. Mites can't possibly love Coral and clam excrement.

I'm building a new Reef system and getting back in the hobby.

Im going to try this.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Having a custom stand built this month! I'm so excited. It's been way too long.
Do you have a saltwater tank up now?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

Didn't realize you worked or owned (?) a LFS.

Do you use any Reef supplies in your terrestrial farming?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Didn't realize you worked or owned (?) a LFS.

Do you use any Reef supplies in your terrestrial farming?
No, I got rid of all that gear YEARS ago. I really wish I still had some of my lighting and filters, though, I tell you what!

Yes, I spent many years working both fish shops and on the wholesale side of things, as well as a little time at a public aquarium in SoCal. I had to find work in the trade, so I could pay for my fish habit. It was pretty bad for a while there! I also used to have a home-based business setting up and maintaining aquariums. I loved doing that, except for the one restaurant, when drunk people would drop cigarette butts and their leftover drinks into the tank. Once, they killed everything in it. After that I convinced the owner that Pakistani butterflies were actually *not* in his best interest. Made good money doing that, too. A lot less work than growing weed as well, so it was a far superior return on my investment than growing weed has been.

I'm thinking Bulk Reef Supply who carries pH buffers, ceramic pellets, etc
I think they're one of the better suppliers online nowadays. Do you use any of the marine fishkeeping sites? My husband and I actually met on reefs dot org, back in '02 or so. It's DEAD now, I'd say ReefCentral would be THE place to get the best and most up-to-date information, and I know a lot of my old trade contacts are still active there. That's actually where I found a thread a guy had put up on his 1,500gal system (it broke, the tank was manu'd by the guys who are on that show Tanked, MAJOR fuck up there!) and how he'd been growing mangroves using plasma lighting, then switched to LEDs and saw much improved growth. In MANGROVES of all things!!!

Anyway, if you'd like I can hit up some of my old contacts and ask who they think is the better online supplier.

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I was curious if you used any crossover products, like oh buffers or ceramic filler media specifically?
LOL at reefs dot org. Used to use that site a lot. Got booted off RC for shilling for a client. Ha. Went back but dropped it since I took a hobby break.

The guys on Tanked are yayhoos. Interesting builds sometimes but total fng yayhoos.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If I had them, I would totally use buffers, especially what they've formulated for the Central and South American fishes that help keep things buffered down. I'm tempted to ask your username, mine is pretty easy to figure out, and then I went and reregistered as a frying pan. ;)

And +2 about the guys on Tanked!

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I meant ceramic media or pH buffers designed for aquariums being useful for grow.
pH is so very very important to keep in a narrow range of course and ceramic media appears to have great potential in grow medium as well as in tank filters. Make sense?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I know fish tank carbon is supposed to be cheaper in bulk and totally effective to recharge carbon air filters, eg.

I'm curious what other useful aquarium products could be bought at better cost and be useful in grow too.

Funkadelic is the name of the greatest band of all time. ;-)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hmm... well, you may know that I have a thing for Sea-90, but it is definitely *not* the same beast as salts for making your own seawater. However, adding up to 10% seawater may improve things, a la the great Italian Seawater Tomato Study.

Better cost may be a relative thing. A lot of the products aimed at reefkeepers are expensive, as it's an expensive hobby. I mean the whole fragging scene, which didn't exist when I was still working the trade, has gotten absolutely INSANE.

Are you saying you're Funkadelic on RDO as well?

Funkadelic

Funkadelic

I know you have a thing for herb, ocean animals, and your husband. Oh, and rice hulls. Hard to keep track of all your fixations. =D

I figured you'd be in agreement that skimmate would - if diluted and measured properly - have great potential in a coco/hydro setup.

Im not on RDO any more. It died long ago...

BTW do you still use aspirin in your plant waterings, or foliar, or both? Also do you think stinky skimmate would be better as drench, foliar, or both? Seaweed / kelp is mostly used in foliar?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Yes, I use aspirin in my waterings, if I'm giving a foliar then I might add it as well. I use seaweed/kelp formulations mostly as feeds because as foliar it leaves staining that I don't like.

I would use the skimmate as a drench here as well.

Yes, RDO died a long time ago. I'd say may it rest in peace but the Sump keeps it going.

Top Bottom