Reflective Loft Insulation To Reflect Light And Keep In Heat ?

• Thread starter Totallynew
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Totallynew

Hey all,

I'm starting my first indoor grow box and I need some help with reflective surfaces and keeping in heat. I live in a cold climate where its usually in the 0-7C so keeping heat in my grow box is a big part. I was wondering if anyone has experience with using reflective loft insulation in a grow box ? I'm talking about the ones that come in the rolls. Does it do a good job of reflecting light and keeping in heat ? Or does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions that would do a better job that aren't expensive. Thanks for the help.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Hey all,

I'm starting my first indoor grow box and I need some help with reflective surfaces and keeping in heat. I live in a cold climate where its usually in the 0-7C so keeping heat in my grow box is a big part. I was wondering if anyone has experience with using reflective loft insulation in a grow box ? I'm talking about the ones that come in the rolls. Does it do a good job of reflecting light and keeping in heat ? Or does anyone have any other ideas or suggestions that would do a better job that aren't expensive. Thanks for the help.
There ways to go.

Emergency blankets
Reflectix
The sun shade for Cars.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

id think depends on the size of your box u got a big 1000w when its on its going to keep it hot hot hot but at night going to need a heater

Toaster79

Toaster79

There ways to go.

Emergency blankets
Reflectix
The sun shade for Cars.

It's all mylar and it works. If NASA uses it in outer space then it's gonna keep a plant safe too. It basically reflects 99% of everything that hits it even in the UV and IR spectrum (heat included)

T

Totallynew

It's all mylar and it works. If NASA uses it in outer space then it's gonna keep a plant safe too. It basically reflects 99% of everything that hits it even in the UV and IR spectrum (heat included)
Its going to be a very small size box , and i'll be only using 125-200w CFL. Do you think this combined with the mylar will be enough to keep the plants at optimal temperature? What do you thinks better the mylar with the black back and white front or the regular mylar ?Oh one more thing do you recommend using a heater or something else for when the lights are off ? Chances are the light schedule will be 18/6 if that helps.

Last edited:
Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Actually tge mylar available to the public is only 90% reflective.

keiksweat

keiksweat

Panda film works fine.nice n cheap too.flat white paint even?.orca film is most reflective and most expensive.depends how anal you wanna get with it.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

why don't u go with a auto and keep the light on 24/7
I wouldnt go 24/7. The plants need rest cycles too. Less stress and issues with the plants. I recommend 18 hours on and 6 hours off.

I also recommend auto flower.

I need some Northern Lights seeds, but every where i look they are $11-15 a seed, or that company doesnt ship to the US.

what would be second best would be any Indica auto flower, the only place i found was in the Netherlands, $2.38 a seed but they wont ship to US. )-:

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

I done it both ways at the same time and 24 on was always about 25% more bud lil less size of leafs but I guess im just lucky

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I've read many times 24/7 is key to decent yeilds (of even decent is possible) with autos. This is in comparison to an photo strains.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

sssshhhhh don't tell anyone but I keep all my veg plants in 24/7

T

Totallynew

sssshhhhh don't tell anyone but I keep all my veg plants in 24/7
Reason I wasn't going to keep lights on 24/7 was because of bills. I'm starting to think running a decent heater for 6 hours a day will cost just as much to run as keeping the lights on 24/7. I'll be running a 250w light set up (1x 125w CFl red spectrum for flowering + 1x 125w CFL blue spectrum for veg) . The only heater that would fit in my grow box that I can get at the local shop is 1kw. I've heard a couple of different recommendations about how many watts I should use per plant , i've heard that I should use 80w per plant from some people and from others i've heard that I should use 100w for one plant and 50w more for each of the other plants. Which one should I do ? I'm most likely going to go for the light setup I just spoke about and am going to try and do 1-3 plants do you think this will be enough ? I'll have both the lights in at the same time by the way. Thanks

T

Totallynew

I wouldnt go 24/7. The plants need rest cycles too. Less stress and issues with the plants. I recommend 18 hours on and 6 hours off.

I also recommend auto flower.

I need some Northern Lights seeds, but every where i look they are $11-15 a seed, or that company doesnt ship to the US.

what would be second best would be any Indica auto flower, the only place i found was in the Netherlands, $2.38 a seed but they wont ship to US. )-:
You can get 3 seeds of northern lights for $23 on gorilla seeds and they ship worldwide so I guess you could have a look there.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Its going to be a very small size box , and i'll be only using 125-200w CFL. Do you think this combined with the mylar will be enough to keep the plants at optimal temperature? What do you thinks better the mylar with the black back and white front or the regular mylar ?Oh one more thing do you recommend using a heater or something else for when the lights are off ? Chances are the light schedule will be 18/6 if that helps.
For tighter internodal distance and chunkier buds try not to let your lights "off" temps vary too far from 10 Deg F from your lights "on" temps. You want to keep the nodes fairly tight . Just my .2 cents. You can always get a space heater, just make sure you keep an eye out to find the balance you need. And dont let hot air blow directly on your plants.

tinderthumbs

tinderthumbs

I always been told 100w of light per plant but I have used way less and still got good bulk

T

Totallynew

For tighter internodal distance and chunkier buds try not to let your lights "off" temps vary too far from 10 Deg F from your lights "on" temps. You want to keep the nodes fairly tight . Just my .2 cents. You can always get a space heater, just make sure you keep an eye out to find the balance you need. And dont let hot air blow directly on your plants.
Thanks i'll definitely keep that in mind, space heater probably isn't an option for me as I am on a budget but i'm still looking around for cheaper alternatives.

Top Bottom