Reflector Insulation

• Thread starter ballbeanking
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ballbeanking

ballbeanking

Hey farmers, anyone insulating their hoods? If so does it cut down on heat and is there any materials anyone could suggest for diy..I assume this only works for vented reflectors? ?thanks all.

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Edit, this one is probably better for what you want it for. The first is good for sound and heat.

You would have to cover it with something as it says it is dusty so maybe the first dust free one would be better.

Last edited:
DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Back in my sound competition days we used to like the entire inside the car with dynamat. It's a heat barrier and sound barrier material. Sticky backed and easily laid out with a roller and razor blades to cut to fit.

Should work for insulating hoods

Natural

Natural

I never understood insulating a hood..all my hoods are barely warm to the touch. If hoods are vented proper, I don't see the purpose

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

I run 3x 600 hps in big kahuna hoods with 2x 8" 720 cfm fans at 100%. My hoods still get warm, not too hot to touch tho.

Natural

Natural

I run 3x 600 hps in big kahuna hoods with 2x 8" 720 cfm fans at 100%. My hoods still get warm, not too hot to touch tho.
that's proper venting :)
my brain tells me the heat would just reflect out of the glass with insulation. I wonder what the over-all reduction of btu's is?
I don't see many people using them. You would think if it was drastic enough a difference, more pros would be on it

ballbeanking

ballbeanking

I never understood insulating a hood..all my hoods are barely warm to the touch. If hoods are vented proper, I don't see the purpose
I've just been having heat problems. Running 4k sealed with a Goodman 2 ton..my reflectors are old first generation vented ones with 4" offset flanges. .probably be better to upgrade to 6" or 8" reflecors.. how many cfm do you run..I have two runs of 3 1ks but I can't really run them all because it's so hard on the ac. Also read that if the outside temperature is as much as the indoor temp it actually doesn't help venting? ??? Idk.. they are vented though but been contemplating just running it sealed with no venting now that summer is almost here.

Natural

Natural

I run 760 through 3kw and 454 through 1600w. If it were me I would put money into 8" reflectors for sure. How can not venting lights be any cooler than non-vented? Pulling hot air through hoods is cooler than leaving them un-vented.

ballbeanking

ballbeanking

That's what I thought too. Night temps in the summer here probably average 75 or so, maybe they meant venting the room.idk. thanks DemonTrich n natural. .

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Veg tent is 5x 10 with 3x 600mh in big kahuna hoods and 2x8" 720cfm fans at 100%. I have my hoods at 100/75/75% as my glues are in the right side and grow quicker than my other strains. This is an air exchange tent

Flower room is a built sealed 8x12x7 room w/14k btu ac, 5 x 18" fans and co2 system, 2nd 8" 720 cfm hood cooling fans.

Big kahuna hoods are only 6", not 8. Wish I got 8" inlets. But I upgrade my rooms nearly every harvest. Lol

ballbeanking

ballbeanking

My rooms are sealed in a 16 x 24 framed building. .13 x 9 flowering area and have a wall partitioning the back 9 x 16 for veg..I only have a 2 ton ac and have 6 1k's I'm trying to run for flower. .I just realized my ac is insufficient for 6 older style vented hoods with the 4" vents. So I've only been running 4k.. need to try to upgrade my hoods cause they are 10+ years old. Been checking into different options, tubes with reflectors or vented reflectors?? .name brand or knock offs?? Definitely want 8" if I go vented but also considering up sizing ac..there's a good video on monster gardens about reflectors was pretty cool and I learned a lot. .sorry about Ramblin on sitting around the fire and can't smoke got a test in a few days. .thanks for the input man..ballbean

Top Bottom