Remember to support your power cords!!

• Thread starter GuySmiley
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GuySmiley

GuySmiley

My turn to be a good example of a bad example. Two grows with the power cord for my 1000W HPS unsupported caught up with me. This is the result. One pin git hot and melted a bit of the plastic. Need a new cord and 3-pin receptacle to fix it. Make sure you don't allow those heavy cords to pull down at the connection points.

Remember to support your power cords

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
My turn to be a good example of a bad example. Two grows with the power cord for my 1000W HPS unsupported caught up with me. This is the result. One pin git hot and melted a bit of the plastic. Need a new cord and 3-pin receptacle to fix it. Make sure you don't allow those heavy cords to pull down at the connection points.

View attachment 1313930
Do you mean you stressed/bent the cord? I've been thinking about the electrical issues, there are times when a professional should be used. One concern i have before I get started is how things are from the socket inward.......the integrity of the wiring in the walls/house. I don't know the numbers but I'm gonna bet that as the number of indoor growers increases, so will the number of fires, and electrical problems. I know my strengths and weaknesses.......and I'm not an electrician. It's probably wise to get a professional to check things out before starting an indoor syatem.

GuySmiley

GuySmiley

Do you mean you stressed/bent the cord? I've been thinking about the electrical issues, there are times when a professional should be used. One concern i have before I get started is how things are from the socket inward.......the integrity of the wiring in the walls/house. I don't know the numbers but I'm gonna bet that as the number of indoor growers increases, so will the number of fires, and electrical problems. I know my strengths and weaknesses.......and I'm not an electrician. It's probably wise to get a professional to check things out before starting an indoor syatem.
Yeah, I stressed the cord. Starting an indoor system? This is my third grow as I mentioned in my post. Thanks for the advice but I'm competent with the fix.

E

elusiveshame

Unless you're going to tear down the walls / ceiling (depending on how the wire is run) to get a look at all of the wiring for that socket, you'll never know the condition of the wires. If there is compromised cabling, it won't matter what's plugged into that outlet.

The biggest thing people will need to learn is making sure you're not pulling more power from the outlet or surge strip than one should. You typically won't run into this unless you have splitters galore in your outlet while trying to run 4 1000w devices. Same for surge strips and extension cords. Make sure you get the proper rating for what you're going to pull.

The only time a profession would be needed, IMO, is if you're going above and beyond a grow tent (i.e., you're turning a large room that will be running a few thousand watt lights) to make sure your electric consumption isn't going to cause an issue, and to breaker it properly.

Aside from that, making sure your cabling is secured and has enough room for movement for things like lights so there's no stress on the plug or pins is an easy, yet important thing to do.

Here's a site with the most common causes of electrical fires: https://www.firerescue1.com/fire-pr...-causes-of-electrical-fires-olFt6TUMOsWg7re2/

But yes, secure your cabling and ensure there's enough slack for devices that move (like lights) :P

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Unless you're going to tear down the walls / ceiling (depending on how the wire is run) to get a look at all of the wiring for that socket, you'll never know the condition of the wires. If there is compromised cabling, it won't matter what's plugged into that outlet.

The biggest thing people will need to learn is making sure you're not pulling more power from the outlet or surge strip than one should. You typically won't run into this unless you have splitters galore in your outlet while trying to run 4 1000w devices. Same for surge strips and extension cords. Make sure you get the proper rating for what you're going to pull.

The only time a profession would be needed, IMO, is if you're going above and beyond a grow tent (i.e., you're turning a large room that will be running a few thousand watt lights) to make sure your electric consumption isn't going to cause an issue, and to breaker it properly.

Aside from that, making sure your cabling is secured and has enough room for movement for things like lights so there's no stress on the plug or pins is an easy, yet important thing to do.

Here's a site with the most common causes of electrical fires: https://www.firerescue1.com/fire-pr...-causes-of-electrical-fires-olFt6TUMOsWg7re2/

But yes, secure your cabling and ensure there's enough slack for devices that move (like lights) :P
There are a lot of factors to consider.....the age of the house, the quality of the electrical system.....how much power is available, how much is being used, how much is being drawn from one socket.......we have a whole house surge protector, and other individual ones, then there's GFI boxes......I have a luttle knowledge, but not enough to just start setting up systems and letting things run while we're not there. One example......mice. mice chew wires. Chewed wires can cause fires. They make nests out of insulation......

And there are a lot of people who aren't even this aware of things. I say, better safe than sorry. If you're going to set up a system......not a tiny little tent, but something next level, i think it would be wise to have a professional make sure you're as good as can be. Tear the walls down? No. Test the lines, boxes.......it's worth some extra peace of mind and safety. Same for plumbing.......running lines, hoses, filtration systems.......look, if you're knowledgeable, exoerienced.....fine. But better safe than sorry. I'm not going away for a week, hundreds if miles away, to see Phish, the greatest band of our generation......and have some flood or fire happen. ;)

sambapati

sambapati

Installing higher gauge wire with dedicated circuit breakers -- would also help. Having a really big extension cord with an integral 20amp breaker gives me a lot more confidence in my set up.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Installing higher gauge wire with dedicated circuit breakers -- would also help. Having a really big extension cord with an integral 20amp breaker gives me a lot more confidence in my set up.
You just said "bloobity blah circuit, blabbity bloo breaker". ;)

And that's why I have an electrician. But no, seriously I'm all about learning and tackling new things, projects. I'll keep learning about electrical stuff, it's just that there are some things you don't want to have to learn by trial and error....

E

elusiveshame

There are a lot of factors to consider.....the age of the house, the quality of the electrical system.....how much power is available, how much is being used, how much is being drawn from one socket.......we have a whole house surge protector, and other individual ones, then there's GFI boxes......I have a luttle knowledge, but not enough to just start setting up systems and letting things run while we're not there. One example......mice. mice chew wires. Chewed wires can cause fires. They make nests out of insulation......

And there are a lot of people who aren't even this aware of things. I say, better safe than sorry. If you're going to set up a system......not a tiny little tent, but something next level, i think it would be wise to have a professional make sure you're as good as can be. Tear the walls down? No. Test the lines, boxes.......it's worth some extra peace of mind and safety. Same for plumbing.......running lines, hoses, filtration systems.......look, if you're knowledgeable, exoerienced.....fine. But better safe than sorry. I'm not going away for a week, hundreds if miles away, to see Phish, the greatest band of our generation......and have some flood or fire happen. ;)
Definitely agree if youā€™re going larger than a tent, you should either have electrical knowledge or hire an electrician to do a thorough inspection to make sure everything is up to par.

My post was mainly for small setups. Once you start pulling power greater than your major appliances, then you need to take greater precautions.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Definitely agree if youā€™re going larger than a tent, you should either have electrical knowledge or hire an electrician to do a thorough inspection to make sure everything is up to par.

My post was mainly for small setups. Once you start pulling power greater than your major appliances, then you need to take greater precautions.
Yeah I'm gonna be working a new HLG Scorpion Diablo and Scorpion RSpec, 12' x 6'. Good time to ask everyone about their tjoughts on UVA/B...... ;)

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
hope they used they correct size cabling for your grow aswell, we in the middle of reno of the future grow room and i needed to get 4mm cabling which is around double size of standard, this is for 8 lights tho
Correct size cabling??? Argh!!!

;). Yeah.....I was pretty straight up with the guy what my goal is. I almost can't find anyone in my area that doesn't grow....

E

elusiveshame

Correct size cabling??? Argh!!!

;). Yeah.....I was pretty straight up with the guy what my goal is. I almost can't find anyone in my area that doesn't grow....
So many people I know now grow or want to start growing since it became legal in this state (albeit it with plant limitation based on medical status or not).

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

So many people I know now grow or want to start growing since it became legal in this state (albeit it with plant limitation based on medical status or not).
which is why im enjoying decriminalization, not limits on plants or amount you carry on you. just no smoking in public which is chill cause i dont want my smoke to potential offend people you know

E

elusiveshame

which is why im enjoying decriminalization, not limits on plants or amount you carry on you. just no smoking in public which is chill cause i dont want my smoke to potential offend people you know
Agreed. Weā€™re allowed 6 plants here if youā€™re a medical card holder (3 flowering, 3 veg, cloning is illegal), and I think 3 if youā€™re recreational only (recreational still isnā€™t ā€œlegalā€ yet, at least to purchase).

We canā€™t even buy seeds here at our dispensaries, and unlikely ever will.

At least weā€™re moving in the right direction.

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
same here, just look for the guys not

I've always said that someone has to have large amounts......otherwise how are people supposed to get little amounts? Should every beer drinker brew at home? Is Anhauser-Busch evil because they have so much? Well.......they're evil because they sell fetid garbage......but there's going to be a lot more home growers. Most of it will be anywhete from not so good to pretty good. A lot of 7s and 8s. But to grow a 10........that requires mastering a whole bunch of steps, and all that extra special attention to detail......no matter how much average to pretty good weed there is, the top top quality will akways be special.

By the way, here in the city.......probably in all decrim/legal cities, people who smoke in public, walking down the streets, in parks......for the most part it's young people who just want to be seen.

Top Bottom