Removing Chloramine With H2o2?

• Thread starter Saint Skinny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

Hey all!
I just moved into a new place and am new to dealing with Chlorine and Chloramine in tap water. I have an RO unit that (assuming all goes well) I'll be using to filter the water before too long. The problem is to use it I have to either:
  • get a faucet to garden hose adapter
or
  • crawl under the house, and either:
    • figure out why the outside garden hose faucet isn't working ( Could be abandoned, or could just need a to turn the handle on a ball valve) or
    • look around until I find a decent place in the pipes to install one myself...
...Neither of which am I looking forward to doing. I hope to have the hose set up in under a week, I just have a few other projects that the mobile home park requires being done within a certain amount of time, so those need done first.

I was doing some research and found some people saying something about H2O2 being used to remove chlorine and chloramine. Does anyone do this and know it to work/be safe for the plants? I would only do this with a few herbs and my Romanesco I have outside, and only until I get my RO unit hooked up... to be 100% honest I don't even know if there IS chloramine in there, but I can smell the chlorine itself in the water (not strong or anything, I think it may be because I've been using well water so long, my brain isn't used the smell it so it stands out) and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm not as worried as if I were watering my girls with it, however this is the first time I've ever grown Romanesco and I'm really wanting to see it through to that Spiked, Fibbonacci Spiraled, fractal, alien looking head they grow! Ever since I saw the heads I wanted to grow this stuff. Because I had to leave the plants that were in the outdoor beds at my old house, I only have this one left growing and I'd be pretty bummed if it didn't make it. Not to mention It'd be good to know for future reference, you never know!

Thanks all!
~Saint

MW7945

MW7945

Pour water into containers and let it sit out for at least 24 hours. Much easier solution

sun

sun

Pour water into containers and let it sit out for at least 24 hours. Much easier solution
is this correct ? i thought thats how you got rid of chlorine .seems like i remember Seamaiden saying that it was more complicated .

Saint Skinny

Saint Skinny

is this correct ? i thought thats how you got rid of chlorine .seems like i remember Seamaiden saying that it was more complicated .
Yeah it's a bit more complicated than that, Chlorine and choramine are easy to confuse, especially when your reading them. Maybe if I'm lucky Seamaiden will swim by to give me a lil help again lol She's a gem around here!

That works for chlorine, but chloramine is a little different. I'm actually bubbling some water right now, I figured even if it's chloramine instead of chlorine, bubbling wont hurt anything. If it is chlorine, bubbling/circulating just speeds up the process a bit as opposed to it just sitting out.

Reactions: sun
sun

sun

right on Saint skinny , sometimes i like to phrase things in the form of a ? so as not to offend .

As for sea shes been mia for a while , she might not be back it seams , she always had wonderfull information that was always a pleasure to read.

fatawa

fatawa

Standing,arrerated,or boil will remove most chloromine.chloromine/chlorine was never affectd me n im n dwc.and i also get water straight from tap n water all house plants here.there r def differnt levels n everyones city water.n if its high only true forsure method is carbon.

xenon730

xenon730

Boiling for 20-30 removes chloramine, sitting out removes chlorine. Your city should have a water test online somewhere you can look at. Bubbling will create carbonates and raise the ph and make it harder to lower it. Only relevant in dwc really or if you hate using ph down. It will remove the chlorine a little faster but probably is negligible. I think it's all overstated and mostly irrelevant unless youre using well water. I know countless dispensaries using tap, not to mention everyone's outdoor gardens. If your tap ppm is low enough, let it sit and its probably fine. Other options are ro or to collect rainwater. Hooking up ro properly is usually a one time cost and worth it, but i wouldn't use ro unless i was on well water like i am currently. Romanesco isn't difficult to grow and plenty of eastern European grandma's here grow it with 600ppm well water. I think you're over thinking it. Why is the broccoli getting more attention than the cannabis?

Top Bottom