Removing Fan Leaves In Veg, Yay Or Nay ? (lst)

• Thread starter xinobyte
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
xinobyte

xinobyte

Should i remove fan leaves under fully developed branches in veg so light can penetrate more easily ? If so should i do it incrementally or take them all off in one go ? Thanks

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
I just go by feeling and if they are too bushy and their bushiness blocking the light and air movement between leaves and on growth tips, i do take leaves down. Don’t need to take much usually but even if you take all the leaves down, it will replenish. Just takes some time. Maybe pics would be better.

xinobyte

xinobyte

I couldn't take a picture of the branches or stem because of how i trained them + the lack of coco in my pots.
Here's a before and after picture, should i do the same for the other plants ? they're pretty much all the same.

Don't mind the burnt one in the back, i got lazy and stopped checking runoff PPMs/pH for a few days. Big mistake

Before
After

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Yeah you can take those down. That much defoliation is good. Especially in veg it will be replaced pretty quickly. I always take down when a leaf gets old and sandpapery.
Pretty much the every path you would choose will be ok for cannabis. Taking all the leaves at the same time or plucking 1 each day :) and everything in between. Just do it for a reason.
Don’t take leafs that are on the outer perimeter of the plant as they will probably never block anything. And take the top leafs to let the light get down to the middle and lower branches. Also take down leafs that have turned brown, yellow, sickly looking and/or very big and sandpapery. This is my route. And in flowering i am defoliating the big buds at the top to let the light get to the lower branches. They like this regimen ime.

Last edited:
London bud

London bud

Your plants look a bit small to worry about trimming, the more green leaf on the plant the faster it grows.
Imo you don't need to trim untill your nearly ready to flip to 12.12, then you can give it a shape up to get it ready for flower

xinobyte

xinobyte

Your plants look a bit small to worry about trimming, the more green leaf on the plant the faster it grows.
Imo you don't need to trim untill your nearly ready to flip to 12.12, then you can give it a shape up to get it ready for flower

I'm flipping them in 4 days, they broke ground a month ago.
Don't have time to go longer because it's a 10 weeker and i'm moving this year.

I've got 10 "colas" right now on each plants, hoping the stretch will bring it to 12, maybe 14 each.

S

Simplicio

Good advice

Madmax

Madmax

Ive never had to take leaves off plant.only damaged ones.leaves are the lungs of your plant.they also absorb nutrients for the plant..i do pull yellow leaves off towards end of grow .was told by a respected big time grower not to and have stood by his words..

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Ive never had to take leaves off plant.only damaged ones.leaves are the lungs of your plant.they also absorb nutrients for the plant..i do pull yellow leaves off towards end of grow .was told by a respected big time grower not to and have stood by his words..
And some defoliate very hard and swear by it. I have seen videos where people strip almost all the leaves and then switch to 12/12 and get huge colas. It is just a preference imo, related to your lights and grow environment. It is impossible to tell if its counter productive or not. Not unless anyone has an ability to jump to an alternate reality and compare results :)

Madmax

Madmax

Agree ..a plant will always keep growing..in a perfect world you would have to have 2 plant exactly the same to see the difference .but you would have to say the plant with less stomatas isnt going to breath and transpire aswell as one with more.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Agree ..a plant will always keep growing..in a perfect world you would have to have 2 plant exactly the same to see the difference .but you would have to say the plant with less stomatas isnt going to breath and transpire aswell as one with more.
But the claim is, for those heavy defoliators at least, is that pluckin the leaves speeds up the metabolism of the plant and encourages a growth spurt.
I personally never go that deep. But i do take leaves down and gettin pretty good nugs.
Really, a preference.

Indoornewbe

Indoornewbe

Should i remove fan leaves under fully developed branches in veg so light can penetrate more easily ? If so should i do it incrementally or take them all off in one go ? Thanks
Just me but i strip everything under the top leaves. Then when ots in flower i strip all that i dont want, 2 3rds of the branches and only leave what i want for returns to bud. Sometimes im sure i loose a lottle on returns, but the buds are big and fat amd rock hard, the way i like em.
I clear out most sun leaves but always leave the ones that are conneted at the end of the branch to the main stalk, if you take the sun leaf from where the branch and the main come together, the branch will grow slower then the ones with the sun leave. So when i get a branch thats going nuts amd growing faster then the others, i tale the sun leaf at the main, amd it slows down. Just dont want to take the leaves that help the branches grow IMO........NEWBIE HERE. But has worked great for me. I now keep my canopys all with in 18 inches or so of each other........

20181103 122821
20181101 022918
Top Bottom