Removing Spindly Lower Branches

• Thread starter MrBlue
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MrBlue

MrBlue

I have some branches at the very bottom of my plants that are real spindly with very small buds forming at the tops on them compared to the rest. There at week 2-3 flowering so should they be removed at this time.

MeJuana

MeJuana

My answer could be no for some strains such as Triangle Kush or a low producing plant, in that case I would say you need to bend it over preserving the bud sites like gold. But if it is not a low producing strain but rather a strain with tons of bud node sites I would definitely remove the popcorn nonsense.

Otherwise now is a perfect time to trim foliage from the plant because it is forming buds right now and you will leave it with excess root mass so that energy would conceivable be diverted to the forming buds. Just remember some side shoots are starting low on the stem so just remove the sections outside of the light penetration. (There's charts you can Google showing your penetration)

I typically train my plants in veg using multiple tops spreading them out and I also usually do my final transplant in veg and allow the plant to take hold before flowering. But when working with a new strain it isn't always coming in months ahead of time optimally allowing you to research, tune and develop it for flower.

P.S. Clean your tools with alcohol and make sure to remove the dead foliage from your flower room. Save for compost it's perfect.

MrBlue

MrBlue

My answer could be no for some strains such as Triangle Kush or a low producing plant, in that case I would say you need to bend it over preserving the bud sites like gold. But if it is not a low producing strain but rather a strain with tons of bud node sites I would definitely remove the popcorn nonsense.

Otherwise now is a perfect time to trim foliage from the plant because it is forming buds right now and you will leave it with excess root mass so that energy would conceivable be diverted to the roots. Just remember some side shoots are starting low on the stem so just remove the sections outside of the light penetration. (There's charts you can Google showing your penetration)

I typically train my plants in veg using multiple tops spreading them out and I also usually do my final transplant in veg and allow the plant to take hold before flowering. But when working with a new strain it isn't always coming in months ahead of time optimally allowing you to research, tune and develop it for flower.

P.S. Clean your tools with alcohol and make sure to remove the dead foliage from your flower room. Save for compost it's perfect.

Heres how crappy the lower ones look. I only have two out of three left as the other one wasn't doing well from the start. I topped these two early. I thought that if I removed the two spindly lower branches, then the plant would spend more time putting energy into the tops. Its a first time grow.

MeJuana

MeJuana

That plant is not bursting with bud node sites from what I see and I think those shoots will stretch toward the light. It's like an og structure that you don't want to remove the shoots. It seems that maybe your lights don't have great penetration? If that is true we should talk about pinching the top then bending it over so we can lower the lights and fatten up the side shoots.

Bannacis

Bannacis

They look ell into flowering, I wouldn't pinch anything as of now. you can slightly bend and tie branches over to reduce bud top height.
I would let them go, you can always snip those lower popcorns off early for a tasty tease.

MrBlue

MrBlue

That plant is not bursting with bud node sites from what I see and I think those shoots will stretch toward the light. It's like an og structure that you don't want to remove the shoots. It seems that maybe your lights don't have great penetration? If that is true we should talk about pinching the top then bending it over so we can lower the lights and fatten up the side shoots.

Yeah, I've had them under a T5 since the beginning. Thats all I had at the time. Its as close as it can be from the canopy. Its at 2 inchs from tops. Had to save up for a ballast and hood. The reflector I got is air cooled. Dont have an extractor to cool it with yet so worried about running it without one the heat might nuke them.

20160527 085610
Last edited:
Mr Bee

Mr Bee

I have some branches at the very bottom of my plants that are real spindly with very small buds forming at the tops on them compared to the rest. There at week 2-3 flowering so should they be removed at this time.
Depends really.if its not getting any light i remove mine like this..
20160227 011643

N

Nog

If you tie down or supercrop, those lower branches could become the biggest producing cola's.

I had that my last grow, the biggest cola's on some of them grew from the lowest branches.

But I would say wait till half way through flowering to see how they are budding up, and if they look like they will just be popcorn then chop them off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom