Replacing Perlite With Lavarock

• Thread starter Sun Valley
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sun Valley

Sun Valley

Hey farmers. Considering dropping perlite from my super soil mix and replacing it with lavarock. What would you say is a good ratio to have it at?

Smerb

Smerb

Hey farmers. Considering dropping perlite from my super soil mix and replacing it with lavarock. What would you say is a good ratio to have it at?
That's a lot of rock... the lava rock could impact the soil if at bottom of container. Evenly mixing the rock into your medium might not go as well as you think,pockets of compacted medium around rock throughout the pot won't help. I used to put rocks in bottom of pots because I thought my soil was compacting tight to the bottom of pot,nope. Hope ta help. Some folks do it, it works for them....

Sun Valley

Sun Valley

Yeah figured it's going to be a lot. I have a little mixed in as is but want to start recycling the medium in a worm farm and not sure perlite is a good idea. What would be a better sub

Freshone

Freshone

It works great,I use it at about 20% after I mix in some rice hulls,don't use the big stuff,use the pea sized(1/4-3/8).Sometimes they call it cinders or pumice also.

Freshone

Freshone

Sunvalley look up Clackamas coots mix for a good read on ratios,I'm on my tablet and can't cut and paste it right now,its also on buildasoils website.

Top Bottom