Report Explains Why Plant Clones Aren’t Identical

• Thread starter datDANK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
datDANK

datDANK

A team from Oxford University and King Abdullah University of Science and Technology has shown why cloned plants are not actually identical: the genomes of regenerant plants carry relatively high frequencies of new DNA sequence mutations that were not present in the genome of the donor plant.

“Where these new mutations actually come from is still a mystery,” said one of the authors of the study. “They may arise during the regeneration process itself or during the cell divisions in the donor plant that gave rise to the root cells from which the regenerant plants are created.”

(Source: www.sciencedaily.com)

what yall think

T

TreFarmer

Mutation come from an osmosis like effect... had a genetisist from the Dam explain in detail... but proprietary...

S

sensisaint

well def seem s very interesting. i'll have to look into . nice thread bro,peace

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
If it is true then a cut could mutate into something even better and not necessarily worse.

just sayin'

dankworth

dankworth

Like Kaliman having a cheese clone spontaneously turn into a legit male that could be used for breeding purposes. If we could induce this intentionally we could overcome the limitations of S1s.

true grit

true grit

If it is true then a cut could mutate into something even better and not necessarily worse.

just sayin'

I think so. I've had certain plants that no matter how many cuts I take, there is definitely some variation. With that I've been able to find cuts that seem to have
a. more/less vigor
b. more/less branching
c. more/less resistance to abiotic stresses

From this I've been able to improve some moms over a couple generations of clones. But also in turn, have seen some degrade and not stick around in the stable. When i pull cuts, if I have a real standout- she always gets momm'd up and compared to current mom...and often replacing.

M

MediMary

Always wondered why some clones respond differently, nice share

big twinn

big twinn

The cells for example in the apical root tip are constantly being torn off as the plant grows. Mitosis, the process of cell replication and division is what is responsible for repairs. In humans, our DNA is constantly being repaired at 50 nucleotides per second. During the Mitotic phases of replication, certain errors can occur as the chromosomes split and cross over. Errors constantly occur during mitosis for both animals and plants. As such both plant and animals have repair mechanisms that fix and repair these errors during dna transcription and rna translation. Some times errors dont get repaired. Stress, the environment, and UV also contribute to DNA damage/repair and possible mutation. All these mutations contribute to the genotypic and phenotypical variation seen in clones taken from the same mother, over time.
BT

Dvs

Dvs

sounds interesting but i doubt it comes from an osmosis or diffusion like effect as mentioned above it may have something to do with apical dominance and the plant growth regulator auxin that flows from stem tips downwards as opposed to up like most fluids in a plant due to cappilary action, auxin is responsible for cell elongation by creating an acid that breaks down the fibrous tissue in the cell wall making it flaccid and stretchable during this process gene mutation is very possible as they may become damaged/changed then replicate themselves by mitosis, the possibilty exists that the plants just make mistakes as BT said since the plant is understress and pressure to produce roots as fast as it can once being taken as a cuting

homebrew420

homebrew420

are we sure this is speaking of "cutting" not "cloned" plants. Cloned would suggest that they were created using tissue culture. Which make a whole lot of sense. However phenotype expresssion is not nessisarily a genetic mutation. Don't misunderstand me, for I know that mutations happen spontaneously, just don't think it happens with the frequency as in tissue culture generated clones.

Peace

c6j0e3

c6j0e3

I would be very interested to see how these mutations vary from one climate/region to another, using the same donor for cuttings, and of course, over a long duration of time (so that the strain may acclimate).

Cool post!

Top Bottom