Repot from 15g to 45 g?

• Thread starter valjack
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
valjack

valjack

I have an large outdoor plant in a 15 gallon smartpot. Seems as if the 15 gallon plants require watering everyday whereas the 45 gallon pots can wait a bit longer. Also, plant very large and it appears to be choking in the 15 gallon. Since I just culled garden of males I have available 45 gallon pots. My question is can I safely cut the sides of the 15 gallon and swipe a machete under the bottom to remove stuck roots going through bottom of pot and repot it into a 45 gallon? Not in flower yet , just starting to show a white pistol so still in veg but not for long.

I found this on a search in forum: START
I wouldn’t transplant them at this point due to the fact that you should avoid shocking them. Instead, you could always just double pot them. The roots will grow through the bottom holes of your smaller pots and continue growth into the bottom/larger pots. END Quote

However, most people state NOT to repot because of stress. Looking at this big plant in small 15 gallon it appears to be needing bigger pot. Since it is in a fabric smartpot can I repot into bigger double potting with fabric pot? Seems logical answer is no.
Anyone want to advise on this?

Last edited:
valjack

valjack

I have an large outdoor plant in a 15 gallon smartpot. Seems as if the 15 gallon plants require watering everyday whereas the 45 gallon pots can wait a bit longer. Also, plant very large and it appears to be choking in the 15 gallon. Since I just culled garden of males I have available 45 gallon pots. My question is can I safely cut the sides of the 15 gallon and swipe a machete under the bottom to remove stuck roots going through bottom of pot and repot it into a 45 gallon? Not in flower yet , just starting to show a white pistol so still in veg but not for long.
A bit later:
Never mind. Got antsy and just slit the fabric pot , 4 slits and then pulled the bottom off and put into the 45 gallon. Ripped off roots that grew through the bottom of pot. Then placed 2 square tomato cages around, fed branches through. I think it will be OK. Plant is 8 feet tall and very wide.

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I found this on a search in forum: START
Once mine have started to flower I don't transplant. I've known others that have no issues doing so but I'm not gentle enough I guess.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I always up pot “prior “ to flip. Now if she isn’t that far out, you can repot. But avoid the Root zone damage, cut the smart pot out, with scissors, and peel it back. Bottom where u say it’s poking through, cut out without damaging the roots too much, a few lost here and there wouldn’t hurt it. Jut don’t feed for a week or so, plain water , let her starve to setout roots. Also if possible shade it a bit till it’s stable .

valjack

valjack

Thank you for the replies. I will return in time and report how this Candied Grapes from ARCHIVE reacted to the repot. I have a symbiotic relationship with my plants and she was asking for a bigger pot! This year I am trying 6 foot square tomato cages. Took two adjoined to wrap around her. She is about 2 feet higher than the cage.

Top Bottom