Repotting plants...does it matter?

• Thread starter Mugwort
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mugwort

Mugwort

I start seedlings and clones in Dixie cups. After a few weeks they go into one quart pots. A couple of weeks later they take up permanent residence in 7 gal fabric pots. I read where some do it more incrementally, transplanting a couple of more times maybe using a 1 gal and 3 gal pot before putting them into a bigger one. Is this necessary?

Ponky

Ponky

I go from ⅛th tray pots directly to 5 gallon square. Root mass is 100% when they're done.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

I’m an inside starter and outside grower and go from 4” starter pots under T5 lights to 8” pots under lights plus a week or so of outside hardening to permanent outside in 10 gallon holes in ground or pots. No need for all the incrementally small increases. Too much chance for transplanting mishaps.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I’m an inside starter and outside grower and go from 4” starter pots under T5 lights to 8” pots under lights plus a week or so of outside hardening to permanent outside in 10 gallon holes in ground or pots. No need for all the incrementally small increases. Too much chance for transplanting mishaps.
3 times this what I do as well again it’s mostly about watering , but some about size control for me anyways

growsince79

growsince79

I start seedlings and clones in Dixie cups. After a few weeks they go into one quart pots. A couple of weeks later they take up permanent residence in 7 gal fabric pots. I read where some do it more incrementally, transplanting a couple of more times maybe using a 1 gal and 3 gal pot before putting them into a bigger one. Is this necessary?
7 gal is big enough to grow a tree. The problem with putting a little plant in it is watering. If you water it completely, it will take forever to dry. You might have a mature gnat colony before its time to water again. Not to mention fungus and viruses that thrive in constantly wet soil. If you don't water completely, you get dry pockets.

Ponky

Ponky

I like a nice fresh cube of promix. Not too dry. And a nursery pot that was watered like 4 days prior. And put the slightly more moist root ball into the promix for transplant. Wait a day or two. Water. After transplant I always spray. Keep fungus and bugs away.

Mugwort

Mugwort

7 gal is big enough to grow a tree. The problem with putting a little plant in it is watering. If you water it completely, it will take forever to dry. You might have a mature gnat colony before its time to water again. Not to mention fungus and viruses that thrive in constantly wet soil. If you don't water completely, you get dry pockets.
Ahhh...

Mugwort

Mugwort

How big of plant do you want? 3 gal pots can grow pretty big plants. I can't imagine ever using 7gal indoors.
I didn’t think about the root system from coming out of a 32oz pot going into 7 gal of soil. Water will sit until roots get bigger. Stagnant moisture and time could = problems. I don’t like problems! Future grows will throw in extra repot.

Mugwort

Mugwort

How big of plant do you want? 3 gal pots can grow pretty big plants. I can't imagine ever using 7gal indoors.
Just saw your post on pot size. I’m learning as I’m going along here. I just jarred 12 oz from 3 plants (all different strains but with same flowering times). So, for a scrog grow in a 4x4 tent, three plants, are you saying 3 gal pots should be used? I want to try and fill every hole in net with healthy bud sites and keep canopy height < 3 ft.

ThatRapperWeed

ThatRapperWeed

The advantage to starting in smaller pots (or plugs or solo cups) is it's easier to water the plants more efficiently. The plants also form dense root balls that produce more extensive root systems when potted up. You don't have to do it but I do believe it produces better results.

Mugwort

Mugwort

Thanks thatrapper...the pic below is of my last grow right after I removed the SCROG net, chopped, and hung. It was my 4th grow and first time I had more than one pot. Are 3 gal fabric pots more efficient with regards to root respiration and water/nutrients delivery than the 7 gal pots I used? For future SCROG grows with 2-3 plants, wanting to fill every hole in net, and a target canopy height of 30-36” (from soil to top) in my 4’x4’ tent should I be using 3 gal fabric pots?
23293F8D 3AC8 4E3E 81AD 95A311B0762F
23293F8D 3AC8 4E3E 81AD 95A311B0762F
7D76E7B2 EE54 4FC2 B4D0 AEB688596C1E

B026B570 15EC 4096 960A 2C53482F188C
Ponky

Ponky

Thanks thatrapper...the pic below is of my last grow right after I removed the SCROG net, chopped, and hung. It was my 4th grow and first time I had more than one pot. Are 3 gal fabric pots more efficient with regards to root respiration and water/nutrients delivery than the 7 gal pots I used? For future SCROG grows with 2-3 plants, wanting to fill every hole in net, and a target canopy height of 30-36” (from soil to top) in my 4’x4’ tent should I be using 3 gal fabric pots?View attachment 1177945View attachment 1177945View attachment 1177946
If this was the result I would repeat the method. Looks like it went perfect.

Mugwort

Mugwort

If this was the result I would repeat the method. Looks like it went perfect.
Thx for compliment but can I achieve similar results with 3 gal pots? I cloned 5 plants from them and culled three. While they were in closet waiting for their place in the tent I had some leaf issues with 2 of the clones. I started them in Dixie cups, transferred them to 32oz plastic pots before I finally put them in 7 gal fabric pots. I’m pretty sure I left them in the one quart pots too long before I put them in the 7 gal pots and this was the man contributing factor for the leaf problem. I threw the worst of the two out. I checked the runoff pH and ppm of the second one with the leaf discoloration and pH was 5.4 and ppm was 2280. I flushed it with 10 gal of r/o water with 1/4 strength nutrients one gal at a time. I stopped when runoff pH reached 6.1 and ppm dropped to around 800. Last flush was with a gal of full nutrients (10cc “FF Grow Big and 5cc CalMag Plus). My r/o water is 6.7 out of tap! She looks great and didn’t even droop after flush!
However, I realize that having to flush a plant is a shock for any plant not to mention a hassle. Would it behoove me to use 3 gal fabric pots? I’m thinking that waiting too long while they sat in 32oz plastic pots caused the roots to ball up and created a toxic zone around roots which led to water sitting in soil too long even though I’ve been careful not too overwater. I’m learning but knowing a little can sometimes be dangerous. Plus FFOF soil is expensive and if I can achieve same results with 3/7th the amount of soil....

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Hey Mugwart, Wow nice plants.
I am just starting seed for my next summer grow. They will be Mothered 14-8 until springtime then put outside.
As I rather enjoy mainlining and of course low stress training. It won't be long until I'm working on my mother plants.
I noted how many sub branches your plants have. Are there tricks that get the plant to grow more sub branches from nodes of main stalk and sub sub branches?
If so I'd sure appreciate some enlightenment.
Ron

Ponky

Ponky

Thx for compliment but can I achieve similar results with 3 gal pots? I cloned 5 plants from them and culled three. While they were in closet waiting for their place in the tent I had some leaf issues with 2 of the clones. I started them in Dixie cups, transferred them to 32oz plastic pots before I finally put them in 7 gal fabric pots. I’m pretty sure I left them in the one quart pots too long before I put them in the 7 gal pots and this was the man contributing factor for the leaf problem. I threw the worst of the two out. I checked the runoff pH and ppm of the second one with the leaf discoloration and pH was 5.4 and ppm was 2280. I flushed it with 10 gal of r/o water with 1/4 strength nutrients one gal at a time. I stopped when runoff pH reached 6.1 and ppm dropped to around 800. Last flush was with a gal of full nutrients (10cc “FF Grow Big and 5cc CalMag Plus). My r/o water is 6.7 out of tap! She looks great and didn’t even droop after flush!
However, I realize that having to flush a plant is a shock for any plant not to mention a hassle. Would it behoove me to use 3 gal fabric pots? I’m thinking that waiting too long while they sat in 32oz plastic pots caused the roots to ball up and created a toxic zone around roots which led to water sitting in soil too long even though I’ve been careful not too overwater. I’m learning but knowing a little can sometimes be dangerous. Plus FFOF soil is expensive and if I can achieve same results with 3/7th the amount of soil....
I would only do 3 gallon pots if your going to use more pots. What you're doing works so deviating would be an experiment.

Ponky

Ponky

I guess what I'm saying is your soil to canopy ratio looks good. I'd keep it the same. If you use 3 gallon pots use more of them.

Mugwort

Mugwort

Hey Mugwart, Wow nice plants.
I am just starting seed for my next summer grow. They will be Mothered 14-8 until springtime then put outside.
As I rather enjoy mainlining and of course low stress training. It won't be long until I'm working on my mother plants.
I noted how many sub branches your plants have. Are there tricks that get the plant to grow more sub branches from nodes of main stalk and sub sub branches?
If so I'd sure appreciate some enlightenment.
Ron
I wish I could grow outside! I live in Lake Havasu City, AZ and summer time temps can and do get > 120° with long stretches of nighttime temperatures that never get < 100°....not to mention the wind blows > 30mph on many days! As far as your question how I use LST to achieve so many sub-branches—I did nothing more than top the front plant twice before laying down the SCROG net and weaved the branches through the net. The front plant is a strain called Cali Orange and it grew at least twice as fast and much more rigorously than the back two! The back one on the left is Maui Waui and the back one on the right is Chem Dawg. They were only topped once. There was such a disparity in growth rate that even topping the Cali Orange twice the other two couldn’t keep up in height so they were only topped once. The C Orange also drank twice as much! They had the same 9-11 week flowering time but I’ve learned the hard way that flowering time is not the only variable to consider when growing different strains in same tent at same time. I jarred 6 ozs of the Cali Orange and 6 ozs of the other two combined! They also dried at different rates! The grow went OK but I wish I had not cloned them. I have three plants of three different strains AGAIN in my tent. Next grow will be from some Bruce Banner seeds I have and will be grown by themselves. The future B Banner grow I will try to employ some LST and manifolding techniques to achieve a more homogeneous and symmetrical canopy! And no more growing in 7 gal pots! Thank you to everyone who has replied to my questions!

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Thanks for taking the time top answer. Glad you enjoyed your harvest.
I came in just a little under 8 lbs this summer. A few friends are going to get a pound each for Christmas.
I'm not aloud to sell it, So it's give it away or burn it in the wood stove for heat. Maybe get the folks down the street all baked.
I'm growing 4 strains next year. Just sprouted the first, a Black Gorilla and potted it. It's not threw the ground yet.
Thanks again.

Top Bottom