Res temp rising

• Thread starter Dako
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dako

Running a 35-40 gal rdwc in 2-27 gal totes for plants(4 plants per), and 8 gal res housing the circulation pump.
2-600w cool tubes running MHz/hps.
4x4 tent with 465cfm 6" exhaust fan.
GH hardwater nutes, and some CalMag for my RO water(50%)
My res temps have climbed from 68-70f avg to 74-76f. I add about 3ml per gal of 29% h2o2 every 3 days.
I've got 4 good crops under my belt out of 2 tents, but had some wilt and die from either the ph being 6.1-6.4 for the first 4 weeks, the temps rising, or some sort of root rot issues. I also didnt keep up with the h2o2 3 day regimen...
I cleaned and sanitized everything and salvaged 2 plants that will have a very low output from the stress.
I guess my question is... How much of a problem is the res temp? As long as I keep adding h2o2 it should be fine right?
I've been trying frozen water bottles 3 times a day to bring the temps down with negligible results. :(
I've read it's ideal to keep res temps below 72f. Does that 4-5 degrees make that much difference?

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
What is the temps of your tents? Water temps can move depending on the rest of the temps.....

example...you can have warmer water if room is below ideal temps...you want cooler water in a warmer environment.

They make a product that might be more productive for the price in your situation. I know water chillers are expensive...they make a product called ICE PROBE...it is attached as a bulkhead fitting...it only uses like 100 watts of electricity or sumn like that...but it will drop like a 25 gal ressy I think up to 5 degrees

D

Dako

Room is running 77-86 with the fan on full, and a small booster (maybe 150cfm) pushing air in too. Also the pump is only running 15mins on, 45 off.
That ice probe sounds like the perfect solution. I'll look into it. Thx

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
temps like that I would get that water temp cooler!

Is a portable A/C an option? pipe right into your tent....

D

Dako

Sorry mistyped. It cools down to 73 at night. But yeah. Keeping the house at 73, you'd think the cold air would settle down to the basement tents...

D

Dako

Ordering an ice probe tomorrow. In the meantime, will I be ok at these temps until it gets here? As long as I keep the h2o2 up?

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
Order an ICE PROBE?...wondering how they work....

Until you figure it out....change your ressy more often to assist with keeping it cooler and keep up with frozen bottles. I couldn't tell you about H202...I don't use it

D

Dako

Well, I made a chiller with 25 ft stainless steel wort coil, a 50qt igloo chest cooler, and a small water pump. Works great! I dump ice in the morning, and before lights out. Keeps it below 69 so far. Dialing in the timer now to keep it around 68. It dropped to 65 over night after I went to a smaller circulation pump.

NEW PROBLEM! From the week or 2 of high temps the roots exposed to air have "blackened" a bit. And now I'm seeing grey/brown sludge particles floating in the res, and caught up in the roots.
Should I flush that crap out of the roots with a hose and spray them down with 3% h2o2, and change the res? 2 plants are "falling over" now... :( or could it have been the colder res? I'm thinkin it's the sludge...

D

Dako

Rinsed roots, then bathed them in tap water, gently rubbing the dark areas. Then a bath in tap water with 5ml 35% h2o2 per gallon.
Changing the res today. They perked Roth back up! :) thx for the help.

J

Jalisco Kid

Get rid of that pump that's heating your water.JK
if you are using a mag type pump the water in that 8 gal will be hotter then the air in most places. I have found iwaki pumps to run cooler

Latest posts

Top Bottom