research based on fundamental science principals

• Thread starter bobtaeger
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

bobtaeger

My first post, I hope this topic is in the right forum.

I'm 48 years old, have a B.S. degree in Horticulture, purchased and smoked my entire life and 4 years ago moved to the Trinity Mountains in Humboldt County, California to be closer to our grown daughter and her family.

For four years now I have listened to "the locals" talk about growing and their "methods", all of which I have traced to about 3 authors and a half dozen books. So I started reading these books and started with the Cannabible series, book 1.

I have not read much yet but already have questions.

1---Why is there no introduction or foreword to this book?

2--On page 13 the author writes "...studies have shown that THC alters brain chemicals involved in sleep....." How come this author, as well as the other books I have flipped through, do not cite references? What study does this author refer to? How would I learn more about this "brain chemical altering research" that the author has just revealed to me?

3---Lastly, I am interested in seeing cannabis research related to these catagories of being high such as; uppity high or cerebral high or body high or contemplative high or whatever categories of high these authors seem to have invented. I would like to read about the experiments and see the raw data particularly. So far, the Netherlands seem to have the only replicable scientific research (non-medicinal oriented) I can find and there is not much there.

Any help directing me towards scientific research and raw data would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

BoB

P

Pie_Rat

Ahoy Matey,

Whenever the ol' Captain needs a bite of scientific research information to whip me crew into shape I just swing by:
http://www.scirus.com/
Ye uses it like google.
Right now, I'm research'n -Motivation through whipping- to help me crew be more efficient in their daily work.
If there be a scientific paper written on ye subjects, be assured ye find it there.

Yaaaaaaaaaarrr
animated-flag.gif

-Captain Pie_Rat

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
LMAO! Welcome to my world, bob! You hit upon pretty much every reason I DON'T buy those books. I spent $10 on one book that was supposed to be a great beginner book. It was crap, cited no references, misspellings, bad grammar, worse yet, really really poor information.

As for doing your own research, start with Google Scholar instead of these books, they hardly qualify as educational UNLESS you're talking about the Clark book, that one was well done. Israel actually has done some of the better cannabis research, but being in the U.S. can make finding papers a little more difficult, especially since I don't belong to any research libraries.

G

Green Supreme

Lol its a coffee table book, not a reference guide. There are many incorrect "Facts" in that series. Peace GS

ps. reference Mechoulam

Misterdirt

Misterdirt

I know what you mean, Bob. I'm an agronomist who has done a bit of research in his life, and I'd love to be unleashed on my favorite plant -- if just to offer decent, statistically sound research on the effectiveness of some of the supplements that are out there.

There's a huge amount of work that needs to be done, but it won't be done until the US and other countries drop their Holy War against weed.

As to the editing of these books and other publications, don't get me started. Many of them appear to have been edited by 12 year olds. I recall reading a couple of Cannabis Culture magazines a few years ago, and couldn't believe that anyone would publish such poorly written crap.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I acted as a consultant/editor for a book on marine reefkeeping a few years ago, so I have an idea of what's involved in getting clues... I mean citing sources! One of the bigger problems for me was that one of the authors was an English major, yet his wording choices left me wondering if English was his first language, he just did not communicate his ideas very well at all.

The other thing that's glaringly missing from these books is a good glossary, along with a proper index. If you're going to use a term, give people a way to determine its true meaning, especially if it's a word that's not in the common nomenclature or is used differently than it is in the common nomenclature.

Blaze

Blaze

You might check out Granny Storm Crow's list of medical marijuana studies:

http://boards.cannabis.com/medicinal-cannabis-health/161539-granny-storm-crows-list.html

O'Shaughnessy's: The Journal of Cannabis in Clinical Practice can also have good info; however I am not sure if it is still being published.

Actual science on cannabis tends to be pretty scarce, and most of these so called grow-books are a joke. The Cannabible series tends to be particularly inaccurate; it's got some pretty pictures in it but I would not believe anything written in there. Even some of the strains are not properly identified or are labeled as something they are not.

Top Bottom