Results from my experiment of overstressing

• Thread starter Vb2flat2surf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

I am in the midst of my second grow ever and decided to have some fun with one of 6 plants and expirement with what positives could come from overstressing.
I chose to do this because this particular plant was one that barely made it through seedling stage. By tye time it actually was looking about 75% healthy it was into week 5 and preflower. At that time the total plant was less then 10" in tall. All leaves had 3 blades and very stunted, so that's why I chose to say fuck it and try an experiment.
I read nightly about growing herb or watch videos and it's truly become my hobbies. I had done alot of reading about how stress can create possibly have an effect on tricomes. (I'm still confused as to whether it means more, larger, healthier as this is still all new new to me. But I know that more trics are good lol.
Things I did to overstress my plant.
Gelato Autoflower From ILGM
1. Had it closest to the light at week 5 when I decided to try this. Mars Hydro TSL 2000 at 14" from light in 4x2x5 grow tent.
2. Overfed nutrients. I use the 3 pack of FoxFarm that has "Grow Big", "Buds and Blooms" and "Big Bloom". I also use Humboldts Plant Enzymes, CalMag and Flower Fuel (supposedly great for fattening Buds with great reviews. First time trying). I basically took whatever instruction of feeding and always added 1/3 more for each watering. Basically on an instruction list it would fall in between a "general feeding" and a "heavy feeding".
3. Severe fluctuation of temperature. I had a real problem keeping my Temps down in my tent no matter what I did and could afford to do. For the entire grow the temperature at the distance from flower to light was consistently 87°. So the past 2 weeks I took my plant out of my tent, put in a closet where we don't have our air on and Temps got down to 65°
4. Flush with refrigerated 6.0PH water every other watering.
5. Kept in dark for 6 nights before chopping to harvest tonight.
*My other plants are all under a scrog and this plant remain untouched. No LST or anything besides pulling leaves*
So what did I find compared to what my other plants look like right now.
1. I got seed to harvest fastest
2. Short, small, stealthy plant. Literally 16"
3. ALOT more Tricomes and ALOT more purples. (I still need to compare when I harvest the rest of the plants if there is a difference)
4. It is my plant with the fewest colas, only 5, BUT they are each about the size of a coke can.
Hell, this could all just be luck regarding all the positives I found. I would like to think there are truths behind it or some of it. Would I do it to a whole grow? Probably not unless I lived somewhere where I had to be stealthy OR in desperate need of weed quickly lol. Am I pleased from taking a plant that was basically dead and get the results I got, absolutely
Figured I would share my little expirement see if anyone thinks there are any truths behind any of these ideas of stress?
I'll have to update in a few weeks as I'm also doing a much longer, slower, cooler dry this time before trimming

Results from my experiment of overstressing
Results from my experiment of overstressing 2
Results from my experiment of overstressing 3
Bullmark69

Bullmark69

Wow….great looking buds. Do u have pics of the others? I’d love to see them.
How many watts is that LED? Did u run it at max intensity??
My first reaction is the plant had to have those genetics or it would not have turned out. But it makes u wonder if those buds turned out so big (and frosty and dank and dense, etc) because of what you did to it? Or despite what you put it through??
Again I’d like to see the rest of the grow…although each seed is it’s own set of traits.
Nice work man…..I love the adventurous side.
I have a grow with 3 autos that just won’t ripen….they are in week 16 and still spitting out white pistils and have almost no amber trichs. Just yesterday I decided to split the stalk on one of them. I cut a 1’ slice through the middle down near the base and stuck a bamboo skewer through it……I thought wtf….it can’t hurt it. It’s the one closest to being done, has no white pistils left and could be chopped today, but I want a few more ambers. I’m gonna wait a few days and see if it induces any kind of reaction.
Thanks for sharing your efforts…..I’ve enjoyed the post and would like to see the rest of the grow…..

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

Thank you. So I have cut and trimmed 4 out of 6 plants and have come out with right at 8 ounces. Tye plants that I expiremented with by far us the prettiest Buds. I ran light at 100 percent pretty much from week 4 at around 25" inch away till I was able to get down to around 16" away tye final weeks.
Towards the end of my grow I but an ac unit on tye outside of the tent to get the coolest Temps I could without freezing my wife out of the room lol. And as soon as the A.C was added it was within days that alot purples came out especially in the bruce banners. I lost a ton of good pictures but here are a few of the end results

20220128 195913
20220128 195840
GridArt 20220120 202134760
GridArt 20220122 162437360
GridArt 20220128 170253594
GridArt 20220127 235232209
Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

These were the 6 plants. The one I circled, was my expirement plant right at the point I decided to start applying everything I stated I did. I lost everything from that picture till recently including my grow journal. None of it was backed up to my phone for some reason. But you can see in this picture how much fatter the Buds were on that one plant just on day 59.

Screenshot 20220204 214837 Chrome
Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

Here is the Bruce Banner which was the plant in front of NY "experiment". This one I did all of my normal stuff too but let it go an extra 7 days from when I "thought" it was ready. 95 Grams total weight for bud and 55 grams of usable trim for a 90 day seed to harvest.

GridArt 20220211 162104586
sambapati

sambapati

I am in the midst of my second grow ever and decided to have some fun with one of 6 plants and expirement with what positives could come from overstressing.
I chose to do this because this particular plant was one that barely made it through seedling stage. By tye time it actually was looking about 75% healthy it was into week 5 and preflower. At that time the total plant was less then 10" in tall. All leaves had 3 blades and very stunted, so that's why I chose to say fuck it and try an experiment.
I read nightly about growing herb or watch videos and it's truly become my hobbies. I had done alot of reading about how stress can create possibly have an effect on tricomes. (I'm still confused as to whether it means more, larger, healthier as this is still all new new to me. But I know that more trics are good lol.
Things I did to overstress my plant.
Gelato Autoflower From ILGM
1. Had it closest to the light at week 5 when I decided to try this. Mars Hydro TSL 2000 at 14" from light in 4x2x5 grow tent.
2. Overfed nutrients. I use the 3 pack of FoxFarm that has "Grow Big", "Buds and Blooms" and "Big Bloom". I also use Humboldts Plant Enzymes, CalMag and Flower Fuel (supposedly great for fattening Buds with great reviews. First time trying). I basically took whatever instruction of feeding and always added 1/3 more for each watering. Basically on an instruction list it would fall in between a "general feeding" and a "heavy feeding".
3. Severe fluctuation of temperature. I had a real problem keeping my Temps down in my tent no matter what I did and could afford to do. For the entire grow the temperature at the distance from flower to light was consistently 87°. So the past 2 weeks I took my plant out of my tent, put in a closet where we don't have our air on and Temps got down to 65°
4. Flush with refrigerated 6.0PH water every other watering.
5. Kept in dark for 6 nights before chopping to harvest tonight.
*My other plants are all under a scrog and this plant remain untouched. No LST or anything besides pulling leaves*
So what did I find compared to what my other plants look like right now.
1. I got seed to harvest fastest
2. Short, small, stealthy plant. Literally 16"
3. ALOT more Tricomes and ALOT more purples. (I still need to compare when I harvest the rest of the plants if there is a difference)
4. It is my plant with the fewest colas, only 5, BUT they are each about the size of a coke can.
Hell, this could all just be luck regarding all the positives I found. I would like to think there are truths behind it or some of it. Would I do it to a whole grow? Probably not unless I lived somewhere where I had to be stealthy OR in desperate need of weed quickly lol. Am I pleased from taking a plant that was basically dead and get the results I got, absolutely
Figured I would share my little expirement see if anyone thinks there are any truths behind any of these ideas of stress?
I'll have to update in a few weeks as I'm also doing a much longer, slower, cooler dry this time before trimming
Wow, the six nights of darkness made a huge difference in color. That is consistent with before and after pictures of my buds and others I've seen here. The slower cooler dry has been documented on the farm, it turned out great for the farmer. The buds looked like some South African pot I got one time; really gray/brown and super dense -- hard to roll. You can find that in the finishing thread, worth a read. Do you usually keep water in the refrigerator for the plants and do you use a bubbler/air stone thing? Very good write up and appreciate the effort you put into making this farm a mo' beta place.

Vb2flat2surf

Vb2flat2surf

Hey thanks so much. So no I don't use a bubbler (have not yet) and that late in the grow I just throw Bottled Water in the fridge and use that. Effortless and simple and I really do think it made a big difference. I'm excited about the Durban poison I just started 11 days ago, but as my previous 2 grows I'm already struggling in Seedling stage. As much as I said I didn't want to do autos anymore, I really do enjoy them and I'm curious what my mentality will be after this grow is over and I can compared autos to photos if I keep these same things going. Thank you for the feedback

sambapati

sambapati

Hey thanks so much. So no I don't use a bubbler (have not yet) and that late in the grow I just throw Bottled Water in the fridge and use that. Effortless and simple and I really do think it made a big difference. I'm excited about the Durban poison I just started 11 days ago, but as my previous 2 grows I'm already struggling in Seedling stage. As much as I said I didn't want to do autos anymore, I really do enjoy them and I'm curious what my mentality will be after this grow is over and I can compared autos to photos if I keep these same things going. Thank you for the feedback

[Available] Solar Powered Oxygenator Water Oxygen Pump Pond Aerator with 1 Air Stone Aquarium Airpump 2L/min for garden fish tank -- this is my next have thing...I musthavit....​

Top Bottom