Rethinking Sulfur Burning late in flower

• Thread starter Dubwobble
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dubwobble

So I have been following a friends grow. 8 lights, rockwool, H&G fertilizer with Purple Maxx SNowstorm as the only addictional additive.

Ayways, I was there the last week, 1 week before chop down (he was already flushing)... and he had a bit of PM on some buds.

As I was looking a his crop, he setup his sulfur burner in the middle of the room, sprinkled some sulfur prills into it and turned it on.

I asked about it, and he says he does it all the time late in flower, no problems...???

SO I picked his brain a bit more, and here is what he said...

The only time PM shows up on his shit is late in flower, when the buds get so crowded the air movement is reduced. He doesn't like using neem late in flower, because any foliar feeding that late in flower can cause bud rot when the lights go out.

His weed never tastes like sulfur, as a matter of fact he grows some of the dankest weed ever!

I was at his place last night and he was showing some trimmed buds, and yah... they had NO sulfur smell., just pure dank goodness.

:icon_cookie:

M

Malachi

Krusty did this too ... he is one of my hero's for sure. He always ran his humidity high as fuck, but had a sulfur burner always just in case.

H

HannaMan

Interesting -- it sure makes my room smell like sulphur forever, how come the buds dont soak up that smell?

T

the Rock

i have done it late in flower recently with no problems,no residual aftertaste. I tested it on one plant first and it was all good

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I'm thinking the reason your buddy has pm late in the cycle is not that the buds are so big they are reducing air flow.. But the fact that like a human a plant is susceptible at an older age(maturation) and is weaker and whatnot. That plant has had pm the whole cycle just that the pm isn't fruiting and being visible earlier as the plant has it's own mechanisms that it uses to keep the pm at bay til later...Sulfur def leaves a residue, surprised you don't smell it on your flowers ??? Could always treat your plants when they are young and maybe increase your air flow if thats your problem, but relying on a sulfur burn before harvest seems like a bad idea, just my opinion.

D

Dubwobble

I'm telling you from experience now that it doesn't affect the smell or taste.

I was tripping when I saw him do the burn, but I saw the harvested product before drying - no sulfur smell, and after drying - no sulfur smell.

I think the plant may absorb the sulfur (it does use a bit), or maybe it evaporates quickly after crystalizing?

20north

sulfur leaves a very tiny residue i notice it for like 3 days in my tent and its gone.... ive wiped the walls down with R/O water and peroxide it smelled better right away
i would use sulfur any day over using neem or green cure or any of that stuff mold is just soo uncomforting

the only residue i see is on my chain for the sulfur burner ... because your not actually burning the sulfur its being boiled its really a personal decision but in the end most decide mold is a horrible nightmare

and please if you havent used a sulfur burner before please dont just pot your feelings about them

week
1-
2-
3- last day with a 50 day flower
4-the last day to use sulfur safely with a 60day flower
5- last week/day to use a sulfur burner for a 70 day strain and for emergency's this should be the last day if you must use sulfur for a 50 or 60 day strain
6-the very last week one should think they are safe to not get sulfur on their buds with a 70 day strain
7-dehumidifer time week 7 would be the last day i would use anything to fight mold
8- dehumidifer time
9- dehumidifer time
10- dehumidifer time
11- dehumidifer time

cutting out the infected parts of the mildew by trying to seal a big ziplock or a trash bag over the infected area down to the stem you are cutting and then quickly and cleanly remove the infected

i think when people say big buds that dont have alot of air flow get attacked first that is most likely true because the big buds cant transpire as fast as a leaf or small bud

i normaly find powdery mildew in the center area where all the popcorn is

( YOU MUST NEVER USE A SULFUR BURNER WITH THE LIGHTS ON YOUR PLANTS WILL BURN UP AND DIE ) :flower

true grit

true grit

very interesting...and not surprising. I don't believe shit i "hear". I try stuff myself and most the time find the opposite of advice thats on the safe side. People are just afraid to damage plants.

Y

yamama

personally i will never use one again. used a hotbox at week4-5, room stank for days, weed had no sulphur smell or residue on it but i can taste it in everyjoint or bong rip, made bubble hash out of it, still tasted it, made oil out of it an one strain that i was growing still had a tiny taste about it. Out of my bunch of friends only one notices it like me, all the rest think it tastes perfect, but they wouldnt use anywere near the amount of meds i would an dont really care what they smoke. Some people notice some dont.
If i ever get pm again i will be lookin at different methods to cure the problem as this one failed personally for me. there is nothing more heartbraking that workin hard for 3 months to end up hating the final product

Dynamite

Dynamite

IT'S ALL THE VARIABLES !!

Burn time

Room size

Burner Placement

Type/brand of sulfur used

Rooms ventilation after burn/vape is complete

Size of plant

Strain

I know people running a burner for short periods up the week before harvest with ZERO complaints from connoisseurs of weed

Variables

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

week
1-
2-
3- last day with a 50 day flower
4-the last day to use sulfur safely with a 60day flower
5- last week/day to use a sulfur burner for a 70 day strain and for emergency's this should be the last day if you must use sulfur for a 50 or 60 day strain
6-the very last week one should think they are safe to not get sulfur on their buds with a 70 day strain
7-dehumidifer time week 7 would be the last day i would use anything to fight mold
8- dehumidifer time
9- dehumidifer time
10- dehumidifer time
11- dehumidifer time

Wow great post... I luv my sulfur too. I have three of the hot boxes. Now I don't even need to think when I run them. I can just refer to your handy reference guide. :)

20north

yeah if you sulfur a room the smell goes away after time its still on the buds im sorry but your nose is not a chromatography tower is it..science rules

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
IT'S ALL THE VARIABLES !!

Burn time

Room size

Burner Placement

Type/brand of sulfur used

Rooms ventilation after burn/vape is complete

Size of plant

Strain

I know people running a burner for short periods up the week before harvest with ZERO complaints from connoisseurs of weed

Variables

you missed one variant, the most important one: the burner you use

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

which ones do you guys suggest, I am having a veryu little issue and am in my first week of lfower. If you could be elaborate on the variables, placement, type of burner, amount I would be appreciative!

JahSun

JahSun

So I have been following a friends grow. 8 lights, rockwool, H&G fertilizer with Purple Maxx SNowstorm as the only addictional additive.

Ayways, I was there the last week, 1 week before chop down (he was already flushing)... and he had a bit of PM on some buds.

As I was looking a his crop, he setup his sulfur burner in the middle of the room, sprinkled some sulfur prills into it and turned it on.

I asked about it, and he says he does it all the time late in flower, no problems...???

SO I picked his brain a bit more, and here is what he said...

The only time PM shows up on his shit is late in flower, when the buds get so crowded the air movement is reduced. He doesn't like using neem late in flower, because any foliar feeding that late in flower can cause bud rot when the lights go out.

His weed never tastes like sulfur, as a matter of fact he grows some of the dankest weed ever!

I was at his place last night and he was showing some trimmed buds, and yah... they had NO sulfur smell., just pure dank goodness.

:icon_cookie:
I'm very new to this craft, but I've trusted the advice of a teacher who said he believes they like the sulfur. I pressed for an answer as to how they like it but got nothing. However, in battling a major pm issie in my place (25 litez) i couldn't take the gorilla standard of using toxic stuff, and last tome around trying zerotol 2.0 at 40 ml per gal foliar as a last resort didn't handle the issue. So i resorted to sulfur, which my organic bud has disdain for anytime in flower, he burns before flower to clean the room, but then just uses tweetmint before pre flower to contrtol it, and btw he runs at 82-84 F and 80% hume. There's no way i can do that. When my hume gets over 68/70 boom, I'm burning. Well long story short i agree with you. I see no damage or toxicity whatsoever to my end result, and i now have veg and one bloom pm free from a totally infested environment two rtounds ago. But the shitty part is ive been wanting to start using predator mites and cant if i keep burning. Tweetmint has totally changed the game in my rooms, especially veg-ong i love it over traditional toxic methods,
tho, as a preventative, so far in this round of veg, nothing.. but relief, and it alliws me to run a higher humidity which i know these ladies really need.

Top Bottom