Retro Colored Plastic Bong: Cleaning w/ ISO?

• Thread starter Jack MeOff
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jack MeOff

Jack MeOff

I bought an in expensive ($15) 1980's style colored plastic (or Acrylic?)
Y76green
bong. I use 93% Isopropyl to clean glass bongs, and all small pipes. Is ISo safe for the plastic?

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

It will destroy acrylic(?), it'll crumble into lots of pieces. Clean with something without or with very low levels of iso

nangonug

nangonug

Premium Member
Supporter
Hell at that price just toss it out when its to dirty and buy a new one. Or beter yet find a cheap glass one and put that up in a museum :D Sorry I know, not really helpful, I just could not help myself. Please don't take it to seriously I would hate to insult you ! Only trying for a laugh, I smoked out of one of those all through the 80's Peace

Jack MeOff

Jack MeOff

The bong actually works really well. Perfect size and I am able to do multiple hits while the big aluminum bowl stays lit. Now all I need is a '71 Firebird, my 8-tracks, and to park near my old school and check out the Catholic girls in skirts!

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

better head to your LHS and score one of those big wooden party bowls that scrwe on... Catholic schoolgirls in plad skirts are heavy hitters, thought you knew, lol...

Primo, alchohol eats away at the acrylic, supprised to hear you didnt destroy yours cleaning it with alcohol. ive seen many crumble that way

KennyPowers

KennyPowers

i would try some canola oil and salt on that thing. dish soap to finish.

nangonug

nangonug

Premium Member
Supporter
Ha I had a 71 bird great car, Now I got a 70 camero, Forgot all about the kathy-l-lick girls in uniform. ....I rember now! Hey teacher leave those kid's alone!

Jack MeOff

Jack MeOff

Hot water and dish soap worked fine!
There seemed to be a little give/steam/touch difference with the hot water, so I then used cooler water. I think the heat physics on the acrylic have a lot to do with it cleaning easily. I know from experience that hot water and dish soap does not work with glass bongs, which I must soak with 93% ISO to clean. Glass being less temp sensitive, seems to hold a stronger bond with the resins, which will dissolve in iso.

nebulius

nebulius

It will destroy acrylic(?), it'll crumble into lots of pieces. Clean with something without or with very low levels of iso
Hey Dz1PnK. Always a bad idea to use alcohol with plastic / rubber, however, I have had the same acrylic bong for 16 yrs. and clean it with alcohol diluted with warm water. Never had any problems, but its not my daily device so its still in good condition.
One thing to never do is put your acrylic bong in the dishwasher, the heat will crack it. Dumb mistake I made with my first bong.

nebulius

nebulius

BTW My bong is acrylic but has a glass stem and glass bowl (came original this way but had to replaced both). Every time I have taken it in to have a new stem or bowl replaced that all trip out that it came with glass on glass.
I been to about 10 headshops and haven't seen any with glass on glass they all have metal downstem and bowls. I've seen some glass bowls but never both the stem and the bowl.
Is this the case, or do they still sell glass on glass acrylic bongs?

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

I used to have an acrylic bong with a glass downstem and glass slide style bowl/downstem, but ive never seen a glass on glass acrylic bong. please post pics

Latest posts

Top Bottom