Reusing canna coco mixed with perlite

• Thread starter Johnnyblaze2010
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Johnnyblaze2010

I was wondering if anyone reuses their canna coco and what process they go through to get the coco to be ready for a next cycle. A lot of people just say sift through the coco for dead roots, flush for a few days with water and flush for a few days with an enzyme formula like Cannazyme. Also, I read somewhere that if you are using H&G's shooting powder, you can not reuse the coco? Why is this the case and anyone's input, experience would be appreciated. Thanks! JB

G

gloriousgreen

I am using canna line and canna coco and from what i heard and what i am doing its 3 time re use.I been using coco for about 8 months now and my grow shop told me to just remove the center of the plant and put new coco in it and plant the new plant.Its been working for me at least.

justiceman

justiceman

I was wondering if anyone reuses their canna coco and what process they go through to get the coco to be ready for a next cycle. A lot of people just say sift through the coco for dead roots, flush for a few days with water and flush for a few days with an enzyme formula like Cannazyme. Also, I read somewhere that if you are using H&G's shooting powder, you can not reuse the coco? Why is this the case and anyone's input, experience would be appreciated. Thanks! JB

I personally haven't done it however I plan on rinsing it for a bit with some water and cannazym as you stated above. I think that's basically the best way to do it.

As for your H&G shooting powder Q. I have also heard something about the Potassium phosphate or something of the like chemically forming to the coco. Maybe it is unable to break off and creates some type of PK imbalance for when you attempt to veg in it? Not really sure about that one. I personally wouldn't use a product that is said to make the medium usable only once. Sounds weird and I don't like it.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
As I understand it, because of the way coco locks onto calcium and magnesium it not only creates a situation where additional Ca/Mg must be used, but if they're not used sufficiently/frequently enough then potassium can be locked out. I don't know or understand the chemistry behind it, but I have managed to see it in action.

I've read of too many old-timers who do not reuse their coco, but am such a pragmatist that it's just about irresistable to not give it a try. I think if you let it set with a good inoculation of mycorrhizae it might work, but I also wonder how they'd break down the fiber as well. I can tell you with absolute certainty that mycorrhizae eat canvas.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

I reuse my coco with chunky perlite mixed in. I dont flush it, i dont wash it, i dont screen it to take out the old dead roots. I just take the main root ball out, dump my buckets out, break it all up real well, put it back in the pile for next round. I havnt really been strict with any enzyme products lately. Just started back using cannazyme, but it worked fine without it. One thing that has really helped break down old roots and kinda fluffs up the coco and will protect it from pathogens while its sitting waiting to go back in a bucket is Oregonism XL. Roots left in the soil disappear within a week or two. I have noticed that the coco seems to get kinda squishy after about 6 or 7 times of getting reused. Its like sqeezing cotton or something you squeeze and it poofs back out when you let go. I kinda like it.

Tsunami Rose

Tsunami Rose

I'm also looking for a good solution for reusing coco. Currently I am building a screen door to put over a hydro tray and then I'm going to dump coco on top of it and rinse through with RO water. Eeeeh, hopefully it works?

H

Hylife

As I understand it, because of the way coco locks onto calcium and magnesium it not only creates a situation where additional Ca/Mg must be used, but if they're not used sufficiently/frequently enough then potassium can be locked out. I don't know or understand the chemistry behind it, but I have managed to see it in action.

I've read of too many old-timers who do not reuse their coco, but am such a pragmatist that it's just about irresistable to not give it a try. I think if you let it set with a good inoculation of mycorrhizae it might work, but I also wonder how they'd break down the fiber as well. I can tell you with absolute certainty that mycorrhizae eat canvas.

Haha read up on Oregonism XL, it contains strains of 6 endotrophic and 6 ectotrophic mycorrhizae species
*sorry didnt mean to necro

I

ICON

you can use an enzyme like beckett bio barley from home depot for $10 & it will treat like 10,000 gallons per 8once jar or pond zyme + from petco/petsmart $15-20 will do the same its much stronger then cannazyme & will break down all your roots fast. someone did a side by side test with these on another forum in 24 hrs the cannazyme did nothing but the others were alot farther in their brake down using pondzyme & bokashi. Getting my bio barley in the mail soon i'll be using it myself i'll let you all know how it goes.
heres the link check out page 5 for the pix of the break down.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=111148

budboy299

budboy299

So far I am on my 4th run using the same coco. thorougly flushed from the last run, then repotted and the damn stuff seem to get better every time.
I think its because the first run seems to take a bit for the balance in the medium to be right. Ofter lacking in calcium or Mg at first, once this stabilizes it seems to be fine for every sucessive run. weird but thats all I do.

unpot, shake out coco to uncompact it, then repot. I am sure a zyme product could only help and certainly could not hurt, but so far I felt I have not needed one.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

from a site that sells canna coco:

You can re-use Canna coco coir! Double the dose of Cannazym for the last one or two weeks of growing, then once your crop is finished, pull out the plants, along with their root system, then give the coco fiber a double-dose thorough watering of the Cannazyme. Let the Coco drain and sit for 24 hours before replanting in the same container. You can do this up to 3 times without any problems or conflicting of nutrients. (Do not re-use infested materials.)

i'm sure this info comes from canna directly.

budboy299

budboy299

Nice to read from the manufacturers themselves. I'll have to give it a run with the enzymes to see what difference it makes. This run (4th) is the healthiest I've EVER had so it may not be a fair comparison.

The zyme does make sence to break down roots, but so far has been great without it.

S

Sci-fi

Im on my 4th run with coco beds too. Healthiest i had so far too. I run the full H&G line.

Top Bottom