Reusing / Refilling Can Carbon Filters?

• Thread starter hashit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hashit

hashit

I have a Can33 that I've been using for a few grows and I think it's time to change it out. Instead of buying a new one, can I just empty it out and refil it with any type of activated carbon? I'm assuming it will work the same, and will allow me to save $150+.

Anyone?

G

Green Supreme

Yes, it is kinda messy but can be done. Peace GS

J

jimbobthe3rd

Yea mate easy as piss. It'll work even better since the carbon will be fresh and new obv.

E

ent

I had somebody tell me very recently that packing carbon filters is a science. That the good manufactures will use some sort of vacuum when pouring the carbon so the pellets all fall in a certain pattern. Any truth to that?

I also noticed it may be cheaper sometimes to buy a new filter than to refill one.

G

Green Supreme

I would also recommend a good bleaching, as the carbon traps a lot of stuff that may stick to the inside surfaces. Peace GS

J

jimbobthe3rd

Where i live many years ago when filters were the new. There was only one bloke making them in my state (not in us/canada), and he was charging 700-800$ per 10" x 1m filter. Was cheaper to re-fil then. But now competition has come, i get the same filter for 200$, so its cheaper to buy a new one lulz.

B

Bobby Smith

For the time, money, and mess you'd be making if trying to refill, I'd just buy a new one every 12-18 months.

Not really a big expense when you take everything into consideration, and smell is something that I don't fuck around with.

L

Lungus

When I refill mine I do lots and lots of gentle shaking to make sure it's packed in tight. Just when I think I've got all I can in there I always seem to be able to get in another scoop.

hashit

hashit

Hmm..how can I check if it's stiff effective other than waiting for flowering? I used it for a few grows and it worked well...does it expire? Anyways, I'm going to purchase a new once since it is cheaper.

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I had somebody tell me very recently that packing carbon filters is a science. That the good manufactures will use some sort of vacuum when pouring the carbon so the pellets all fall in a certain pattern. Any truth to that?

I also noticed it may be cheaper sometimes to buy a new filter than to refill one.

I've made a few and refilled. Dumbest thing ever.

I think it's a machined process we can't duplicate. They are rated for certain cfm fans and are guaranteed to perform at that level of pull.

It does suck to have to spend the dough but it sucks more to be wasting time messing around refilling and making these only to be left with a half arse filter in the end. Then again i like new stuff. lol

fred

B

Bobby Smith

Some things are worth DIY'ing, and some aren't.

If you've got a closet CFL grow, you could probably DIY a filter and be okay with it.

Anything more and you need to spend a couple hundred on a decent filter - if you need one and can't afford one, then you need to get your priorities straight.

Eat Ramen for a month if you need to, but get a legit filter.

I wouldn't be too stoked to be trusting my freedom to some rolled up pantyhose duct taped to some fish aquarium carbon.

Just my $.02.

hashit

hashit

Yea I have no problem spending for it..I'm just a cheap bastard! I think I may upgrade to a Can66.

sky high

sky high

here's an option

with Free shipping it's an OK deal, IMO. There was another thread on this same topic a few months ago and I believe Jalisco Kid popped an additional link out that may have been more economical (?).

As far as refilling filters, the entire "it's machine packed and you cannot duplicate our process at home" line is crap. If you've ever seen the rabbit pelllet looking charcoal can Filter uses you'd know it can't be "compacted" very damn much. shaken/vibrated a bit..maybe. Packed? I doubt it. Jesus..the SIDE/INSIDE of all of these filter are just a thin metal mesh. If you applied much 'pressure" whatsoever the filter would collapse/explode or the mesh would start to buckle.

FYI....the Australian RC-48 carbon used in the Phats/Phresh's/Rhino's....is very irregular/angular and kinda resembles the painted rocks you'd buy for a smalll aquarium in size and shape. Far more dusty.....but it packs in there tighter due to the smaller particles.

In the end I would take the filter apart and weight my charcoal and see how many refills....or what part of a refill a 35 lb bag might take care of.

FWIW...I have 2 - 6 year old "Probio" 10" inline filters that actually have an access hole built into the filter for (easy??) refilling when needed. (same company that makes the 'Coliseum' grow unit) Unfortunately they discontinued these filters in about 2006. the closest thing I've seen is the inline Can filter....

I've refilled these filters 3 times in 6 years and am about to do it all again. Makes em just like new here.... and I've had NO problem getting em completely filled up, nor have i had any odor issues after doing so.

good luck

s h

Dorje

Dorje

Just got Atmosphere Pro Filters (they make the Vortex fans), the end cap and flange are interchangeable and they are made to be refillable. It's a lot of metal to to scrap, IMO... I'd rather reuse.

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

Sounds messy. Lungus,we have never spoke but I use to read the Lucas thread at CW and read some of your post. Good to see another very knowledgable person at the farm.welcome

Top Bottom