Reversals.... What do you use?

• Thread starter Caninobis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Caninobis

Caninobis

Howdy Ya'll

I was wondering if anyone on here knows of any other reversal sprays besides STS or CS? I know there are a few breeders out there that claim to use something else but they all claim it is some secret proprietary formula.....

Are there any other reversal sprays out there that aren't STS or CS?

Completely pointless back story to the question but you're welcome to read it:

I'm trying to back cross my Platinum Purple pheno with super weak flower production but insane resin production and amazing vigor to my Platinum Purple pheno with better flower production, insane resin production, and poor vigor... well its vigorous just poor branch growth. It just can't seem to push the lower branches to the top but its one of the only phenos i've found that actually produces thick chunky buds. The end goal is to hopefully end up with a progeny that carries the best of both worlds as well as an increase to what is already an insane resin producer that i can then back cross to itself to hopefully get a more stable line of the characteristics i'm looking for. Mainly because these buds are absolutely stunning, visually, and the terps on them are outrageous. Plus i'd like to try my hand at breeding and i thought what the heck why not start by trying to improve on a line that carries strong genetics but hasn't been stabilized...

Here are some pictures of the 2 phenos for your viewing pleasure :)

Reversals what do you use 2

Reversals what do you use

R

redshift75

CS then if need be i can make a batch of STS. Typically the blends are just silver nitrate, sodium thiosulfate, Colloidal silver, ga3 and variations there of. With the possibility of throwing one or two other things in. Ive seen some where they clearly add some sort of fungicide most likely to prevent mold when soaking bud sites. honestly u can use ga3 sts and cs as a trio. I dont use ga3 so i stick to cs and STS. i just started spraying a plant today with cs and will bring into flower shortly. with the female i will pollinate about 3 weeks behind it.

Caninobis

Caninobis

Sts hands down or GA3 but never used it myself.
CS then if need be i can make a batch of STS. Typically the blends are just silver nitrate, sodium thiosulfate, Colloidal silver, ga3 and variations there of. With the possibility of throwing one or two other things in. Ive seen some where they clearly add some sort of fungicide most likely to prevent mold when soaking bud sites. honestly u can use ga3 sts and cs as a trio. I dont use ga3 so i stick to cs and STS. i just started spraying a plant today with cs and will bring into flower shortly. with the female i will pollinate about 3 weeks behind it.

So the only thing that is making me skeptical about STS and CS (more so CS) is that i've read that, especially when using CS, you see much higher rates of herms. I will only doing a small pollination so i won't have that many seeds to test nor the space so i'd like to limit my risk of herms as much as possible. Obviously they come with the territory and 1 here and there is no biggie but these are my thoughts.

How have your results been using STS and CS?
Also, when do you start spraying the plant? Right before flip?
What exactly is GA3?

LuckySeedCo

LuckySeedCo

I dont like to use CS, havent had herm issues from the seeds made unless it's already in the genetics and prone to that, then you wouldn't want to use those genetics anyways. I think cs may work in a different way then sts and GA3 but dont quote me on that. The other way to get pollen is to stress (ex. Light stress) the plant and that for sure will give you tainted pollen. I like to reverse one plant and use the pollen on a clone or something personally instead of reversing and seeding the same plant.

Last edited:
R

redshift75

From my understanding its like 3 levels of effect. One is like a 5% solution one is like a 50% solution and the other like 110% solution. With cs you spray more with sts you spray less with Ga 3 i think its even less than sts. I remember reading about how people use CS on one section sts on another same with ga3 and they do them intervals. sts once every 5 days cs every day ga 3 every 7-10 or something to that nature. its kind of like people that do steroids, you are looking to cycle the various steroids to target different receptors/results kind of deal. Its like a cycle/stack.

Thats just how i look at it. To my knowledge cs or sts or one over the other doesnt cause any traits outside what is in the genetic pool.

If i was selling you a $50/$100/$200 bottle of "***proprietary blend" id tell you they cause hermies too. thats my belief. Im not basing this on science or some thing that i can quote beyond a reasonable doubt. But i just dont see it. havent seen it. Mostly the blends people use are largely based on either A: personal preference or B: success rates

R

redshift75

if i was saying a legitimate reason why i would say STS is a better choice than CS would be. STS has a higher success rate with less applications required for desired results. why i dont like using STS is i have to buy the chemicals and mix them up regularly and they are serious chemicals(caution should be taken like with all). Shelf life isnt great. Thats why you can do CS and then smack it with STS, most blends do a combo of them. but fresher is better and i dont want to be mixing up STS every few days for weeks . even though when you mix it that gives you enough to mix down several times. IDK ive gotten sts on my finger before and as a result its my backup when CS fails. ***edit:Its not bad to mix a little up and just run it through old or not, side by side with CS. which is what i may end up doing just for the success rate.

To the genetic trait aspect. Thats the whole point of breeding and testing genetics. Ive never experienced but there is countless tales from breeders and the likes taking generations to get rid of or refine traits. Thats ultimately the goal when we discuss the bigger picture to the grand scheme.

WankirA

WankirA

OK there C'
GA3 is Gibberellic acid
Its a hormone that diddles with plants in a different way than the Silver from STS or CS.
Never used sts as it looks like it needed mixing, CS comes as a simple spray.
So I've used CS and it works a treat for pollen. Hermie rates are reportedly higher (rumours?!) but ive had none to date: My Godberry isn't susceptible to herm'ing anyway. (Btw another dcs legacy seed)

My understanding is GA3 is NOT considered organic as the hormone regulator is predominantly pharma manufactured (but that could be bollocks!)

I'll stick with CS but a little tip: best to use whatever method on small single cola plants. For the simple convenience of it: especially when the risk of contaminating others is high. Managing a 12 inch pot way easier than a 10g !

Btw the last method and I think anon up there mentioned 'light stress': unsure if he means deliberately messing with light schedules (causing Hermie's) or as I suspect they mean "rodelization" - e.g. take a flowering girl and keep her in 12/12 for an extra 2-3 weeks. She will stress at being unfertilized and start producing nanners...

LuckySeedCo

LuckySeedCo

A lotta CS love here, didn't know people prefer that but I assume it's access issue. Sometimes hard to get the chem, in my experience CS is a lot more work spraying daily and maybe it's just me but STS seemed to have a better success rate and STS is a much cheaper alternative as CS is more expensive and requires a good amount to reverse.

LuckySeedCo

LuckySeedCo

I want to add, if you have a silver coin or piece of silver on hand then CS becomes cheaper to make then STS and you can make your own CS very easily.

WankirA

WankirA

CS becomes cheaper to make

I investigated making and found it to be extremely cheap to make and very simple: can literally make a gallon for pennies. As it happened my son bought me a couple bottles as a b/day pressie so using it up then I'll be making my own.
FYI, I gathered enough pollen today from a single cola for a shit load of plants; e.g. hundreds if not 000's of seeds. As I said, not used ga3 or sts but im happy with CS.

Caninobis

Caninobis

I appreciate all of the info from everyone! Definitely got a better response than i thought i was going to get. I think the conclusion i've drawn is that for my first reversal i'll probably use STS. I've heard a ton of horror stories about the success rates of CS and STS just seems to be like a better product all together. Later on down the line i might experiment with GA3 or maybe even some other hormones that weren't mentioned here but for now i'll be team STS.

Really excited to see what comes out of this cross. Even though its just 2 phenos of the same strain.. It would be really cool to see any kind of upgrade in characteristics after this but i know breeding for a purpose can be a lengthy process filled with let downs so i'm not going to get my hopes up quite yet LOL

LuckySeedCo

LuckySeedCo

Which ever one you choose, keep spraying until sacs start to open or you may end up with duds.

Top Bottom