reverse osmosis suggestions?

• Thread starter knubs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

knubs

hello everyone i need some recommendations on a good RO system. i've been using an RO filter system that my friend gave me a few years ago when he stopped growing. very recently it started going a LOT slower. it is a 6 stage and my ppm from it was zero, and it took about 20 minutes for 5 gallons. now it takes over an hour so it's time for a new one... i want something that works about as well as this one did, so if you have a system or have experience with a system you like then let me know. i need to be able to produce at least 30 gallons in a few hours and i would like recommendations based off personal experience.

also there is no label on my system telling me what brand it is or i would just replace the filters. are RO filters standardized in size or is every system different?

K

knubs

Id take the filters with you and attempt to match them up they probably are the reason for the slow flow.

i know it's the small filters slowing it down, but i have no idea how to identify them. are all RO filters universal between brands? if i go into the hydro shop and match the filters up with ones that look the same does that mean they are the same? or are there many kinds?
also i'm not 100% sure i can get the filters out without breaking something. i tried once really quick and the plastic caps are pretty stuck.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Did the ppm change?

Call the manufacturer or just take the whole dam thing to the hydro store. Ace or a local hardware store are a good resource maybe as I don't know what a 6 stage filter is

sixstring

sixstring

there are probably numbers or a name on the top or bottom of the filters,its more than likely the m membrane that needs replaced the most.hydro shops will cost more most times so I would ttry hardware or home depot/lowes first.both my systems def slow way down if I let the filters go past there due dates.they can only clean so much water before they get clogged with dirt/calcium/silt,ect.

K

knubs

i dont know the manufacture of the filter system. it was given to me and all the labels were ruined. i do know (by the way it is plumbed) that it only has 2 different kinds of filters, a larger size (3 of them) and a smaller size (3 of them). all the small ones run in parallel with a common input and output so i know they are all the same. the ppm is still zero, but it is slow and the waste water is the same.. or higher pressure.
and the hydro shop is no help. they are nice guys, but they are not very knowledgeable and have sent me in the wrong direction almost every time i ask them about something... i even almost threw away my hanna ppm meter because 3 different employees on separate occasions calibrated it wrong..

i will try to get my filter casings apart again and see if i can find a model number on the filter. also thanks for the home depot suggestion.

so what filters are you guys using? i still want suggestions in case i break mine getting it apart. also my friend is in the market for a system like mine after he saw the ease of working with 0ppm water from my filter, and i would like to be able to give him a recommendation on what to buy

sixstring

sixstring

I have 2,a culligan 5 stage and a no name 5 stage and they both work fine.they are both rated for 50 gals a day but I only use about 25 between the 2.i actually think the cheaper one puts out more water and the ppms are lower like 6-10 ppm on the cheap one and 12-15 ppm on the culligan.ill try to grab the name off the cheap unit in the morning.

sixstring

sixstring

this is the cheap one I run,no problems with mine over 2 years now other than filters at around 9 months usage.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E9LJD54?psc=1
that first hydrologic system will put out more water with a booster pump as will most systems.also I use 2 tanks in series under my sink so I always have 8 gallons ready for my veggers and my ice maker lol.in flower I have it dump into an old water heater tank so I always have 40 gallons on standby.
http://www.amazon.com/Hydro-Logic-3...d=1385738839&sr=8-27&keywords=reverse+osmosis

M

mrsgreenbuds

Thanks, Isn't there cheaper versions on ebay ''drinking water'' ?
Is there any difference between the 2 ?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
hello everyone i need some recommendations on a good RO system. i've been using an RO filter system that my friend gave me a few years ago when he stopped growing. very recently it started going a LOT slower. it is a 6 stage and my ppm from it was zero, and it took about 20 minutes for 5 gallons. now it takes over an hour so it's time for a new one... i want something that works about as well as this one did, so if you have a system or have experience with a system you like then let me know. i need to be able to produce at least 30 gallons in a few hours and i would like recommendations based off personal experience.

also there is no label on my system telling me what brand it is or i would just replace the filters. are RO filters standardized in size or is every system different?
You don't normally replace the whole filter, you replace the membrane and filtration parts. I have a 6-stage RO/DI. I replace the mechanical filter, the carbon, the membranes and the deionization cartdridges are totally replaced in line.

I got my system from PureWater dot com, for a little over $100. It's pretty cheaply made and according to my husband was a fucking pain in the ass to set up, but it's been going for a few years now just fine. I have to use a lot of Teflon tape when I replace the membranes & filters or it leaks. It's supposed to do 100gpd, but we only use it when we actually need it, so I don't know if it really will produce that much. I added a permeate pump in front of it to help increase efficacy and output.

Cort

Cort

I got the same one SM suggested. It works and uses standard filters that are easy to find.
Skip that hydro store gimmick BS Filter unless you like throwing cash away because "these RO units are made for growing weed man, not filling fish tanks"

RO is RO, get a good quality unit that uses standard filters.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

Love my stealth. All parts are very easy to replace. Easy to set up. The 100 gpd is $200 and the 200 gpd is $250 so your going to spend a bit more

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I got the same one SM suggested. It works and uses standard filters that are easy to find.
Skip that hydro store gimmick BS Filter unless you like throwing cash away because "these RO units are made for growing weed man, not filling fish tanks"

RO is RO, get a good quality unit that uses standard filters.
Is that their selling point??? Good Lord. What was that the man said about a sucker being born every day...?

Cort

Cort

Is that their selling point??? Good Lord. What was that the man said about a sucker being born every day...?
I am assuming it has to be. When they can sell a Small Boy for $100 instead of just using a $20 filter off amazon that does the same thing there has to be some voodoo involved. Hell, my fridge does everything the smallboy does, albeit not at the volume.

Top Bottom