Reverse Osmosis vs Water Distiller?

• Thread starter wildman21
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
wildman21

wildman21

I found my ultrasonic humidifier spewing white power (calcium carbonate) due to my having hard water and this clogs the carbon filter.
I can't buy enough distilled water fast enough for my 2 tents, and 2 humidifiers and need a solution. Can you advise whether I should go with reverse osmosis or a water distiller?
Reverse osmosis would be a filter system, and distiller is counter top model. And, can you recommend one in particular?
Thank y'all.

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Can the countertop distiller supply enough water for your needs? Ro is great but 1/3 goes down the drain

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

I found my ultrasonic humidifier spewing white power (calcium carbonate) due to my having hard water and this clogs the carbon filter.
I can't buy enough distilled water fast enough for my 2 tents, and 2 humidifiers and need a solution. Can you advise whether I should go with reverse osmosis or a water distiller?
Reverse osmosis would be a filter system, and distiller is counter top model. And, can you recommend one in particular?
Thank y'all.

I would say hydrologic and growonix for RO systems depending what your water demand and ppm of input water is.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

RO allday everyday hook it up at your house. And get easy RO water from the sink.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

can you link me to a wick humidifier? I've not heard of that design, and son't find one when i search. thanks

its a regular fan run humidifier. I use this one to humidify my whole upstairs and grow rooms. I use one wick filter per season at about $20 cost.

wildman21

wildman21

Before i go buy another humidifier, let me ask. Would the high ppm cause stunted plant growth? My friends plants started from same clones are 3x the size of mine. Another reason I was thinking of getting a reverse osmosis filter. thanks for the humidifier link.

Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

RO water- great for nutrient solution. Easy af to harvest enough water for your reservoirs. Has near 0 ppm to start. Potentially can carry some pathogens so not as good for humidifiers and such as distilled

Distilled water- also great for mixing. Not as easy to harvest (you have to refill over and over afaik) and uses electricity. No chance of pathogens.

I would go with ro

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Should reply to the message. I might not have read this question. Or just use @Username to alert someone.

and yes too much nutrients will stunt plants. Humidity is only a problem at extremes. Maybe you should start a help thread with pics and info.

3 balls

3 balls

I installed inline refrigerator type filters with universal fittings- no more snow.

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

That looks like a standard RO for under the counter type. They also make portable RO systems that make it so you don’t have to install anything. That’s what I did.
You will want to add some tap water back into the RO water before using it on the plants. They need some minerals, just not 350ppm.

wildman21

wildman21

That looks like a standard RO for under the counter type. They also make portable RO systems that make it so you don’t have to install anything. That’s what I did.
You will want to add some tap water back into the RO water before using it on the plants. They need some minerals, just not 350ppm.
Thanks. I just changed my order to the the countertop version. I grow in fox farms ocean forest and give fox farms nutrients. Will I still need to add some tap water? thanks

Last edited:
goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I would. Tap (well) water has dissolved minerals in it that the plants need like calcium and magnesium ect. If you used straight RO water, you would likely start to show deficiencies without adding minerals back in, like cal-mag. You can probably eliminate needing any of that by just adding tap water. Plus, you won’t have to filter as much RO water.

wildman21

wildman21

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I bought a cheap one like 4 years ago and hooked it up to my basement sink and put a hose timer on it. It works sweet, set-it and forget-it. It is still working good but it is just starting to get slower (less efficient) so I'll probably replace it with another cheapy before my next grow.
I add enough tap water to bring my ppm up to 40-50 before adding anything else and I don't use cal-mag. I am using a heavily amended super-soil though.

SINK
TheBioMaster

TheBioMaster

I did install a whole house filter system but tds ppm did not decrease at all. At around 350 ppm.

You need to check your water pressure if this is true.....no RO filter will work properly with too little pressure. You would need to add a pump to increase pressure.

wildman21

wildman21

You need to check your water pressure if this is true.....no RO filter will work properly with too little pressure. You would need to add a pump to increase pressure.
The whole house sytem I installed was not RO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom