Reverse Osmosis

• Thread starter Papa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Papa

Papa

Supporter
Now the the Merlin has been discontinued, what are folks buying instead?

Papa

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I've been dealing with purewaterclub.com for a little while now. I had an issue with a D.I. filter once and they handled it pretty quickly. Just picked up a 150 gpd 0ppm unit from them for under 125 with shipping.

HookedonPonics

HookedonPonics

They discontinued the merlin? do you know if there going to continue to sell replacement filters for it? man thats a giant disappointment, by far the best RO filter ive ever used :rain

Papa

Papa

Supporter
here's what i've been able to find out . . . or at least what i was told.

GE has stopped delivering the Merlin "until the late summer." don't know why. some places recommend the Evolution, which is much pricier.

i've had RO units discontinued in the past and have been able to source replacement filters for years afterwards. i doubt that that will be a problem with the merlin.

after calling dozens of places, i found a merlin that was still on the shelf, so i'm set for now.

thanks for the responses.

Papa

S

Shamrock

I've been dealing with purewaterclub.com for a little while now. I had an issue with a D.I. filter once and they handled it pretty quickly. Just picked up a 150 gpd 0ppm unit from them for under 125 with shipping.

I just ordered the same unit. Ordered at 8am and they sent me an email saying that it was shipped at 11:30am.

purewaterclub.com

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

i love my stealth but not nearly the gpd of the merlins

N

Ne Obliviscaris

GE has stopped delivering the Merlin "until the late summer." don't know why. some places recommend the Evolution, which is much pricier.

This sounds like they havent actually discontinued production, they've just delayed it. Are they going to start shipping again in late summer?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
NO,

'let me try that again,

Ne Obliviscaris,

i've heard conflicting reports. the merlin fit the specs i needed (including price), so i back in may i searched for days until i found a guy who had a few sitting on the shelf. i'm sure ge will continue making filters for it, so i'm betting that that will not be a problem.

my personal theory about why it may have been discontinued is that there were constant problems with people attempting to use it with low pressure . . . which does not work. the efficiency of r/o systems is directly tied to the water pressure. the merlin works best at almost, but not over, 80 psi. most people don't have 80 psi to work with, and fail to install a pump to get it, so the system doesn't work well, and they end up complaining that the merlin doesn't work. i've got 80 psi coming to my merlin, so i'm good with that. i think the merlin system may have been designed with a smaller "window" of water pressure needed than some other systems.

unfortunately, i could not identify another continuous supply system in the $400 price range. but if you have more to spend, i've seen some really beautiful systems. i'd love to try the growonix products.

Papa

Asbestos4u

Asbestos4u

So are you saying Merlin will not make low PPM water with out the proper water PSi, or does it just take longer to make the water?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
So are you saying Merlin will not make low PPM water with out the proper water PSi, or does it just take longer to make the water?

i believe it's not as effective, yes, higher ppms. water pressure is an important factor in r/o . . . in commercial systems, it's highly controlled . . . but it's beyond the typical homeowner. maybe those typical home systems work alright at 45psi . . . but a system like the merlin chokes at that pressure. you would just need to plumb a booster pump.

this would explain the diversity of opinions from merlin owners. i read dozens of reviews from people who said the system was by far the best they've had. And i read dozens of reviews from people who hated it and said it didn't work.

anyway, that's my personal theory.

mine works great at 80psi.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter
Growonix

I spoke with the Growonix guys at the indoor garden expo yesterday and these are some very well built units. the 150 and the 300 are 2:1 waste ratio and the 600 and 1000 have a 1:1 waste ratio. there is also a booster pump that they say pushes the 1000 to 1800 gpd. they seemed to be very solid and used more rugged materials than my hydrologic stealth ro 200. I believe they cost a little more though.

Asbestos4u

Asbestos4u

So do the Growonix RO systems also require high water PSI like the Merlin? I looked on their website but did not see any talk about water pressure requirements.

I have a spectrum pure RO system now. I have never had a problem with it. It’s just sad to watch all the wasted water run down the drain.

deacon1503

deacon1503

I spoke with the Growonix guys at the indoor garden expo yesterday and these are some very well built units. the 150 and the 300 are 2:1 waste ratio and the 600 and 1000 have a 1:1 waste ratio. there is also a booster pump that they say pushes the 1000 to 1800 gpd. they seemed to be very solid and used more rugged materials than my hydrologic stealth ro 200. I believe they cost a little more though.

one of my gardens has a growonix gx1000 with the booster pump. out of the box with 130ppm city water i was getting .82 gpm, 1180 a day, coming out at 20 ppm.

So do the Growonix RO systems also require high water PSI like the Merlin? I looked on their website but did not see any talk about water pressure requirements.

I have a spectrum pure RO system now. I have never had a problem with it. It’s just sad to watch all the wasted water run down the drain.

running just the line pressure w/o the pump it was working fine, so prolly 60psi, but id say the booster pump verifiably doubles output. its used to boost the membrane input.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

Recover it and use it for other things, it's filtered better than the water that came into the unit. Trash can, Wally World has 45gal cans on wheels for cheap. If it's outside, put a mosquito dunk in it. Use that to water plants.

Also, with some units a permeate pump can help improve efficiency (assuming good pressure coming into the unit). I'm fairly certain all RO units require around 60psi as a minimum good operating pressure. That's one possible reason why some folks need a booster pump, or they have to replace membranes too often.

sealed138

sealed138

First Starfighter
Supporter

40 psi

S

ScrOGer

The growonix systems are awesome and you can get them for half the price of a merlin. 2:1 is great and like mentioned above, they have 1:1 units too. about the price for a merlin. Filters are easy to source. and the best thing about them, is a pressure feature that allows you blow thru your last filter, to keep it clean. the filter/membrane last twice as long if you use that feature once week.

I'm sold on growonix. sturdy/solid construction and you can speak to a real person if you need tech support. the system is pretty much plug and play.

N

Ne Obliviscaris

I'm thinking about getting this portable system, can anyone comment on it? The price is VERY reasonable

@CelticEBE you said you use this brand, have you used this system?

Top Bottom