Reversing the light cycle.

• Thread starter Zimblow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zimblow

Zimblow

Hi there, I'm very new to growing and nearing the end of my first grow. I had an arrangement with someone to provide me with fresh clones for my next grow, but that got smashed due to lockdown.

I tried making my own clones but have failed, I have tried with Honey, with willow leaves with aspirin and various combinations of the above - no luck.

A firend suggested that if I leave one of the branches on the bush and revert the lighting and feeding to "growth" mode, will the plant recover and continue growing?

My feeling is that the hormonal change is irreversible and since this is an annual, it will die.

All input appreciated.

Misty 1jpg
Green 1jpg
Zimblow

Zimblow

Yes it will work. But it takes a long time for it to revert. Starting from seed would be faster.
I have another question, I believe that exposing flowering plants to light outside of the flowering cycle could cause the plant to either become a male or become hermaphrodite.

With how much certainty will this work, I could put one of the branches outside of the tent.

Maybe I can make my own seeds?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have sometimes just taken a branch from a growing plant and try to root it. Re-vegging takes a few weeks, but rooting might be easier.

Zimblow

Zimblow

I have sometimes just taken a branch from a growing plant and try to root it. Re-vegging takes a few weeks, but rooting might be easier.
Thanks Jimster, I asked BigCube another question, above.

Any idea......or is that what you mean by re-vegging?

FourthCity

FourthCity

I have another question, I believe that exposing flowering plants to light outside of the flowering cycle could cause the plant to either become a male or become hermaphrodite.

With how much certainty will this work, I could put one of the branches outside of the tent.

Maybe I can make my own seeds?
If you take a flowering female plant and and change its lighting from 12/12 to 18/6 it will revert to veg, this will not cause a plant to change sex or become a hermaphrodite. Stress can cause female plants to produce male parts but this does not make them genetic hermaphrodites as this trait would not be passed to clones or future generations if you were to breed the plant. It takes about a month from switching back to 18/6 before the plant will have vegging branches large enough to clone. I currently have a plant revegging, I have more seeds of the same strain so I didn't think to clone it earlier but the particular phenotype performed so well that I wanted to make sure I could grow the exact plant again.

Zimblow

Zimblow

If you take a flowering female plant and and change its lighting from 12/12 to 18/6 it will revert to veg, this will not cause a plant to change sex or become a hermaphrodite. Stress can cause female plants to produce male parts but this does not make them genetic hermaphrodites as this trait would not be passed to clones or future generations if you were to breed the plant. It takes about a month from switching back to 18/6 before the plant will have vegging branches large enough to clone. I currently have a plant revegging, I have more seeds of the same strain so I didn't think to clone it earlier but the particular phenotype performed so well that I wanted to make sure I could grow the exact plant again.
Thanks, if it's vegging again, will it not flower after a while? It will be the exact same plant!

Why would you then want to clone it?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks, if it's vegging again, will it not flower after a while? It will be the exact same plant!

When you re-veg a plant, it goes through a series of changes. You could and people do ... but that re-vegged plant can have some unpredictable leaf and growth patterns before it settles out. People clone them because by the time you have growth that you can clone, the growth has returned to more like what you're used to and the clones can be trained to fit an indoor space much easier.

I have heard of people putting a revegged plant outside for a summer run.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Size and shape. Its not exactly the same plant considering I have harvested 90% of it. I could reflower my revegged plant but it just wouldnt produce as much as the clones can or fit in with the canopy of my other plants. I also want multiple clones, so this plant will be a mother of sorts until one of the them can take its place.
20200330 140711 HDR
20200330 140654 HDR

BigCube

BigCube

Another option for you may be seeding a plant or portion of a plant. Basically if you spray a branch of cannabis starting when you flip the lights to 12 12 with colloidal silver it will cause just that branch to turn male, and give you pollen. You can then pollinate a few of the other buds on the same plant. This would give you seeds.

Zimblow

Zimblow

When you re-veg a plant, it goes through a series of changes. You could and people do ... but that re-vegged plant can have some unpredictable leaf and growth patterns before it settles out. People clone them because by the time you have growth that you can clone, the growth has returned to more like what you're used to and the clones can be trained to fit an indoor space much easier.

I have heard of people putting a revegged plant outside for a summer run.
Thanks for the clarification..

Zimblow

Zimblow

Another option for you may be seeding a plant or portion of a plant. Basically if you spray a branch of cannabis starting when you flip the lights to 12 12 with colloidal silver it will cause just that branch to turn male, and give you pollen. You can then pollinate a few of the other buds on the same plant. This would give you seeds.
I reckon I missed that bus, I flipped the lights nearly a month ago.
Size and shape. Its not exactly the same plant considering I have harvested 90% of it. I could reflower my revegged plant but it just wouldnt produce as much as the clones can or fit in with the canopy of my other plants. I also want multiple clones, so this plant will be a mother of sorts until one of the them can take its place.
View attachment 955696View attachment 955697
can one clone a flowering plant, bearing in mind that it's not in "grow" mode?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

It "can" be done. People have done it. I have never tried it while still in flower. I have heard it's hard (just not impossible) because it's not in "grow" mode like you said.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Cloning a flowering plant isnt really any harder than cloning a vegging plant but flowering plants will have far fewer branches that are suitable for cloning. It is not really beneficial to clone the plant while it is in flower, the clones will perform much better if cut from the plant after it has reverted to veg. If you want to keep the genetics there are really only two useful methods for you at this point, use the colloidal silver like bigcube mentioned and do it now so you have mature seeds ready when the plant is finished or reveg and clone after harvesting most of the plant like I have shown. Fwiw, I also chop the bottom 2/3 of my rootball before revegging but Im also in dwc, not sure what medium youre in.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

This is second-hand knowledge that I haven't tried yet myself, but there's a way of cloning that's used in winemaking that should also work with weed.

If you bend down a branch on a plant and submerge a part of it in dirt, it will eventually start rooting.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
This is second-hand knowledge that I haven't tried yet myself, but there's a way of cloning that's used in winemaking that should also work with weed.

If you bend down a branch on a plant and submerge a part of it in dirt, it will eventually start rooting.

But the branch will still be flowering. At this point his only option is to reveg. Don’t spray shit on it just harvest it and leave a few buds on it and revert it back to veg. Keep it simple.

You really should learn how to clone. It’s not hard. I have a step by step guide on here that works damn near 100%. It’s cheap and easy to do and will save your ass.

I feel like the level of practical grow comprehension on this forum has dwindled over the last few months. It’s frustrating.

Top Bottom