Revisiting And Pollinating An Old Friend

• Thread starter Oregonak
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Oregonak

Oregonak

Hello out there. Ive decided to go for my first grow log/diarie. The last few months have been kind of bumpy but i am making progress in a good direction. Am hoping that documenting this grow and interacting with others throughout will help me to come back around so to speak.

I was inspired this summer to make seeds after seeing a seedling resisting russet mites even though about a quarter of the plant was intertwined with a heavily infested plant from clone.

Seedlings are considerably stronger and more resistant hands down.

I make no claims to any experience or expertise of any kind breeding marijuana. Just thought someone might like to watch.

My goal is to make seeds of a particular lady i recently re aquired. I am not attempting to stabilize her or anything of that nature. I am simply trying to preserve some of her genetics.

Her name is frosted flakes and she was gifted to me about 14-15 years ago. She seems to be a hybrid of sorts. Maybe 50/50. Maybe a little towards the indica side. Nine and a half to ten weeks average bloom. Very, very strong. Ive heard of strains that could induce spins and vomiting in less experienced smokers because of the potency. This is the only one i ever actually came across.

Tonight i am spraying everything down with a mixture of neem, azamax and dish soap. Everything that can't die gets a heavy bleach solution. I brought in a few outdoor plants to re veg and they brought the powdery with them. Ive been pretty down and out mentally and let it get bad. You'll see in the pics later.

Hoping to have everything sprayed down and cleaned up enough to germinate seeds tomorrow.

I'll take some pics and post a list of strains to be impregnated and a list of possible pollen donors. Would love to hear any input or tips from the community as to strain compatibility if anyone has made crosses with what i have.

Just to name a few of the clone onlys: original cough, pacific northwest coffee, og kush cut i received 13 years ago. Not sure which one its considered but it was the first one i came across.

Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate positivity:)

Oregonak

Oregonak

Running behind as usual.

I placed them in soil on nov 2nd and they started popping up on the 5th. First up was one of the blue mango crosses followed by the purple paro. Two inch pots to start using nectar for the gods #4 wetted down with chloramine free water and foliar pack @ 1 tsp/gal. I will try to update once a week or so.

Pakistani valley
Wild Thailand
Columbian gold
Huckleberry kush ibl
P91bx2
Purple paro valley
Royal purple kush
Caramello
Lebanese x citrus sap
Glazed cherry x barneys farm lsd
Blue mango x afghani
Lemon haze

20161105 222654

Purple paro valley from mandala

20161105 222726

Lemon haze

The focus is to find some good males to cross with the frosted flakes. Ill probably use some of the huckleberry pollen first so i can see how the wos Pakistani does before i commit to using its pollen. The huckleberry is dynastys 2015 ibl version.

I've set up a 4x4 tent with an led fixture dedicated to seeds. I have stored pollen for citrus sap and sour banana sherbet. Not sure which I'll be using first but i have a couple weeks to decide. Males from this germination will have to wait till the next round. Which really wont be that far out as i don't plan to finish the plants, just long enough for the seeds to mature. That way i can squeeze in an extra seed cycle before i move.

Cuts to make seeds with:

Frosted flakes
Og kush
Platinum kush
Pnw coffee
Cinex
Uw
Hindu kush
Original cough
Franks gift
Champagne
Ogpb
Gg#4
Saipan

Thanks for stopping in. Till next week...

Oregonak

Oregonak

Weekly update

They stalled out for a day or two but are still doing their thing. Still learning the medium and was neglecting to ph the plain filtered water ive been using for the last week. They had began to turn a bit pale and developed purpling on main stems and a little in the leaf veins and petioles. The ph of the water was 7.3. I applied gh flora @ 0.3 ec ph 6.1 and they perked up overnight. Not doing 100% organic this round. Am going for simplicity. Weekly top dress, weekly feed of the nectar line, multiple daily watering via drip system of low ec gh flora series. Compared to what ive been doing that is a breeze. I love the nectar but mixing 3-4 times a day got old quick.

Some of them look very mutated. I was told that older seeds can sometimes look a little scraggly compared to fresher stock until they develope further. The p91's in particular. They looked like they had sprouted with russets. They were also the frostiest seedlings i have ever grown.

1 out of ten on the wos pakistani valley made it. Have a feeling i should have scuffed and or cracked them before germination. Or perhaps the paper towel method may have been beneficial. Ive always germinated in soil or rw. I had noticed one seed had a puncture when planting. I questioned its viability and it turned out to be the one that popped. Two days after the one popped i went digging. All had rehydrated and had been unable to break the husk. I did my best to remove the husk but decay had already set in. One other did break the soil line but has stalled at the first leaf set. Fingers crossed. Either way im hoping the first one up is a male.

Should be freshly transplanted next update. Heres some pics:)
20161113 163722

Mutated and frostie. Nicknamed lil toxie.
Toxicavenger LG

20161113 163806

Six in front left corner are the p91.
20161113 163855

:)

Moto

Moto

Weekly update

They stalled out for a day or two but are still doing their thing. Still learning the medium and was neglecting to ph the plain filtered water ive been using for the last week. They had began to turn a bit pale and developed purpling on main stems and a little in the leaf veins and petioles. The ph of the water was 7.3. I applied gh flora @ 0.3 ec ph 6.1 and they perked up overnight. Not doing 100% organic this round. Am going for simplicity. Weekly top dress, weekly feed of the nectar line, multiple daily watering via drip system of low ec gh flora series. Compared to what ive been doing that is a breeze. I love the nectar but mixing 3-4 times a day got old quick.

Some of them look very mutated. I was told that older seeds can sometimes look a little scraggly compared to fresher stock until they develope further. The p91's in particular. They looked like they had sprouted with russets. They were also the frostiest seedlings i have ever grown.

1 out of ten on the wos pakistani valley made it. Have a feeling i should have scuffed and or cracked them before germination. Or perhaps the paper towel method may have been beneficial. Ive always germinated in soil or rw. I had noticed one seed had a puncture when planting. I questioned its viability and it turned out to be the one that popped. Two days after the one popped i went digging. All had rehydrated and had been unable to break the husk. I did my best to remove the husk but decay had already set in. One other did break the soil line but has stalled at the first leaf set. Fingers crossed. Either way im hoping the first one up is a male.

Should be freshly transplanted next update. Heres some pics:)
View attachment 645925
Mutated and frostie. Nicknamed lil toxie.
View attachment 645927
View attachment 645928
Six in front left corner are the p91.
View attachment 645929
:)

Thanks for sharing your pictures and it happens to the best of us. :) Sometimes nature wants to play games with us when we are growing them.

Keep up the updates and along for the ride.

Moto

Oregonak

Oregonak

Good day all. For all but a few its been almost two weeks and they are doing what they do. I transplanted on 11/17 into dixie cups of roots original and innoculated with foliar pack and azos @ one tsp/gal each. I can see roots in the drainage holes of most of them today. The roots is a little hot and i'm seeing some light leaf curling but i think they'll be ok. I dropped the t5 down to about 12"-14" today to stop them from stretching much. A couple more days and they'll transition to a 1k mh.

Heres some pics of the honorable mentions. The white spots is from the foliar pack and azos.

20161120 203912

20161120 204840

The world of seeds columbia gold and wild thailand are not what they claim. Maybe im wrong but they dont seem anywhere near pure sativa to me. I do however have very limited exp with pure sativas.
20161120 211638

20161120 212159

20161120 212524

20161120 221713

20161120 223253

20161120 223529

20161120 224315

20161120 230022

20161120 230602

20161120 230830

20161120 231111

20161120 231225

This one went from single blade to five, to seven!
20161120 231423

The only one that made it.
20161120 231713

Not sure what male was used for these.
20161120 232443

20161120 232641

20161120 233935

20161120 234240

Not from seeds but new to me. Am super excited about the crater lake. I have some nevilles haze x mango haze, mango haze inbred generation and mango haze x afghan haze seeds to mix her with. Being that the mango is a sister line of the ssh i thinks there be some flavors to be found. Especially with the huckleberry in the mix. Till next week, i hope you're all staying warm.

Love

Oregonak

Oregonak

Better late than never...right? With my head in the gutter the weekly updates were too much lately. The girls have really been helping the last few weeks...they dont care how crazy and out there i feel...they always take me back with open arms. Love this plant:)

All the seedlings that made it through the veg culling are about to go into bloom. I let them get bigger than i should have so have some heavy prunning to do. They all look pretty good. I'll get pics up after work.

The love shack seed tent is coming along well. My frosted flakes and several others are very much prego with sour banana sherbet being the dad. I dropped pollen at week three and think i may have over pollinated a little...these girls are almost all seed.

The flakes looked different than all the rest once the seeds began to form, almost like they were forming with no outer bract. Naked. The others all had full bracts with seeds forming inside them. I was concerned that something wasnt right but as the days have passed they seem to be developing as they should...just no bract...bare seeds. Is this common or normal?

I have placed three of the huckleberry males in the bloom tent for the next round. Figure i can keep a close eye on them and harvest pollen before the flowers open to use on round two. If a little pollen drops in the tent i dont think it will hurt much as the first round is nearly finished. I pollinated on 12/18 and have viable beans beggining to take color:)

Hope everyone's day is filled with happy thoughts, joy and understanding...both extended and recieved. A few good laughs doesnt hurt either:)

Love

Full tent shot...bit of over fert. And the flakes with seemingly naked beans.
20161226 150820
20161226 150111

incogneato

incogneato

Hey @incogneato . This guy is growing some wild thailand by world of seeds. Let's take a seat and see how they turn out.
Roll one up and I'll get us some chairs!
The world of seeds columbia gold and wild thailand are not what they claim. Maybe im wrong but they dont seem anywhere near pure sativa to me.
World of seeds uses what's called "stabilization" on their landrace seeds...basically they cross the landrace with another strain making a hybrid. I believe if you look hard enough on the package you with find something indicating "stabilized"

Oregonak

Oregonak

Thanks rmoltis...made my day:) spent a chunk of it getting examined, x rayed and poked...glad thats over so i can be with my girls.

The beans came from attitude in "stealth" mode so i wasnt able to view the packaging. Regardless of what the mix is the smell is great. Sweet or fruity varieties dont usually float my boat but the thai and the columbian gold from wos both have a strong fruity fuel kind of smell that gets me going. With the new info about stabilization (thanks incogneato) have to say that the smells are similar enough for me to wonder if they used the same male for the "stabilization". However they were made it will be fun to see how they finish...and i have a few cuts from them to dust for the sake of saving some genes. Ended up with one male and one female of each.

Heres pics of a few honorable mentions. Some preggers and some pheno searching.
20170104 111201
this is a partial auto flower blue mango x afghani.
20170104 111245
sour lemon alien dawg x chernobyl...i call her nuclear lemon dawg abduction:) has mini beach ball sized beans.
20170104 111106
UW
20170104 111602
franks gift...have to say that the effect of frank is not for me. First time smoking it felt like it was causing heart problems to the point that i wondered if it was somehow contaminated...second smoke, same effect. Talked with the grower who said same thing...and def not contaminated. Guess the 2:1 19% cbd- 9% thc ratio is not for me. But it helps others so she'll be around for a while.
20170104 185323
wos seeds wild thailand
20170104 185508
wos columbian gold
20170104 185537
mandalas purple paro valley. Mandala states that these are not suitable for indoor cultivation...had to try...i am stubborn. I really wanted the genetics for pnw outdoor experiments...fem'd or not, supposed to be a tank in adverse conditions.
20170104 185623
this came to me as saipan. Full sativa...trying to bloom in one gallons to keep them from taking off. First time in bloom.
20170104 185718

This was a gifted seed of glazed cherries x barneys farm lsd. Love the smell...the structure...mmmm...good things to come.

White residue is foliar pack...
Hope everyone's staying warm.

Love

Oregonak

Oregonak

Happy days to all. This is to be round two in the love shack. Flipped it sidewayz to give the ladies a bit more room. Nobody likes to be smothered. Last round i only had one frosted flakes mom to pollinate...this round there is six. Along with cuts of all the new seedlings that are on their first round through. Figure i can select afterwards and just eat the ones that arent up to par. I harvested huckleberry ibl pollen to dust them with this round.

Making all these beans has been a blast...playing the genetic lottery or not...i love being able to share this gift with the world and having peace of mind knowing that I'll never be without. Is truly a good feeling.

Wanted to share a pic of vortex by a brother...have seen pics but this is the first time I've seen this it front of me...sap? Resin? Beautiful either way.

Hope alls well for everyone...thanks for the love and support...its helped.

Love

20170131 001756
20170131 001837
20170130 224714

Top Bottom