Rh While Hanging To Dry?

• Thread starter Gamechanga12
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gamechanga12

Hey everyone. I usually remove all fan leaves from my plants before I hang to dry. I then hang to dry for 7 days at 50% RH and temps are at 74. Should I have a humidifier in my room along with my dehumidifers also to make sure the % stays good?

Spectre

Spectre

Don't remove any leaves before you hang them. Dry first and they'll break off easily later. Also if you trim them wet, that plant smell will linger.

Hang them for 10 days @ 60% any lower and you're losing weight. no fans or humidifiers.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've seen molding occur at RH levels above 55%, in my opinion it's better to keep things in that 50%-55% range for drying. 60%-65% is perfect for curing, again in my opinion.

I see your problem, but I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to add a humidifier unless you allow yourself a bit of wiggle room, i.e. set each at about 10% RH difference from each other. In other words, set the dehuey at 50%, and the humidifier at 60%, then test to make certain you're not just feeding the dehuey with the water from the humidifier. Make sense?

Personally, I have more of an issue with your drying temperature than anything else here. Far too warm, IMO.

G

Gamechanga12

I've seen molding occur at RH levels above 55%, in my opinion it's better to keep things in that 50%-55% range for drying. 60%-65% is perfect for curing, again in my opinion.

I see your problem, but I'm not so sure it would be a good idea to add a humidifier unless you allow yourself a bit of wiggle room, i.e. set each at about 10% RH difference from each other. In other words, set the dehuey at 50%, and the humidifier at 60%, then test to make certain you're not just feeding the dehuey with the water from the humidifier. Make sense?

Personally, I have more of an issue with your drying temperature than anything else here. Far too warm, IMO.

Is it ok to remove all fan leaves before hanging to dry or should I leave them on? Also, you said the room is to warm what temperature should I set it at with rh at 50%?

Paul Simon

Paul Simon

Isn't the issue that the spores were there already then if stuff is molding over 55% RH? We hve always dried/cured in one process at 62f 65-70%RH. We HAVE had issues with plants from less clean enviroments, but not one issue in years. A nice hack is to get a box fan for your drying space and buy a HEPA/MERV filter of the same size and place it behind the fan, instant low cost air cleaner, it will also help diffuse the aair flow from the fan.

Spectre

Spectre

I've never seen mold form while flowering or drying above 60%. Well, not never. But it was an airflow issue that caused the mold.

I try to keep my temp about 10-15 points higher than RH during all stages. A bigger gap results in your plants or medium drying out faster.

If you absolutely must or want to dry @ 50-55% you should lower your temp to 60-65 if possible.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Is it ok to remove all fan leaves before hanging to dry or should I leave them on? Also, you said the room is to warm what temperature should I set it at with rh at 50%?
It's ok, it's just not what I do. But if it's what suits your style best, then do it. :) It does speed up drying.

I personally prefer as low a drying temp as possible. After harvest, my basement wouldn't get much warmer than 55*F, often in the mid to low 40s, so that's what I had to work with and I do feel it gives a good result. YMMV of course, and if you need to use AC or something to get temps down that may not be reasonable or even feasible in your situation.

Isn't the issue that the spores were there already then if stuff is molding over 55% RH? We hve always dried/cured in one process at 62f 65-70%RH. We HAVE had issues with plants from less clean enviroments, but not one issue in years. A nice hack is to get a box fan for your drying space and buy a HEPA/MERV filter of the same size and place it behind the fan, instant low cost air cleaner, it will also help diffuse the aair flow from the fan.
It could be, but I have no way to test that. The basement I have been using, was using, is open earth and we finished out part of it. The area itself has those open vents, because radon apparently. Air flow isn't sufficient to prevent molding in a scenario like this IME.

This had been my method for handling my OD plants, as taught to me by some old timers.

G

Gamechanga12

It's ok, it's just not what I do. But if it's what suits your style best, then do it. :) It does speed up drying.

I personally prefer as low a drying temp as possible. After harvest, my basement wouldn't get much warmer than 55*F, often in the mid to low 40s, so that's what I had to work with and I do feel it gives a good result. YMMV of course, and if you need to use AC or something to get temps down that may not be reasonable or even feasible in your situation.

It could be, but I have no way to test that. The basement I have been using, was using, is open earth and we finished out part of it. The area itself has those open vents, because radon apparently. Air flow isn't sufficient to prevent molding in a scenario like this IME.

This had been my method for handling my OD plants, as taught to me by some old timers.

The reason I Want to remove fan leaves before hand is to make it easier to trim..

Top Bottom