Rhizosphere . Signal . Rhizobium . Agrobacterium . Quorum-sensing . Plant Hormones . Plantbacteria I

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ecompost

Ecompost

My mind is blown.....while it's in pieces I wanted to ask what you guys think of atmospheric nitrogen and nitrogen fixing microbes....so is ther atmospheric phosphorous and atmospheric potassium and are there phosphorus and potassium fixing microbes? My mind is all so volatile so even if I get it, it won't stay with me long....
we can fix P or rather we can move it from a fixed pool not available in to a soluble pool, some bacteria and mostly fungus perform this task by secreting organic acids which dissolve the calphos in to P and Ca2 for example.
We can use them to get access to organic material, such as lignin, breaking this down in to plant ready P or K, so we can make use of fallen leaves, and matter which breaks down in to plant ready NPK. They can convert the bodies of dead insects, animal waste and plant waste, back in to forms which the next plant can benefit from if not an existing plant.
bacteria only fix atmospheric N under certain conditions and only NO3- nitrate forms, this conversion taking place at a higher pH than most MJ growers are used too. Low pH values will prevent the conversion and so we tend to find more NH4+ nitrogen in more acidic soils.
As a rule, when Azospirillum lipoferum is added to the soil, it multiplies in millions and can supply 20-40 kg of nitrogen per hectare per season.
All the things we need to grow plants are already present in healthy soil, we should not need too much added NPK, rather we need to learn how to better access the plentiful PK that already exists

epitome

epitome

Right on. So with red wigglers castings is it a major difference using fresh castings vs cold composted castings vs hot composting casting? And/or would each have its own benefit? I have a ton of castings and am wondering the best way to utilize them...@jumpincactus I assume I'm not far off topic since castings are a major component of most healthy soils, throw me hint if I'm thread jacking or far off topic.
P.s. you should really put that book together ;^} can you link up a grow with your pictures? Something tells me your flowers have immense soul in them. Peace

epitome

epitome

over time, soil profiles will be come fungal dominant and so in the right conditions, you might see this.
You lost m3...maybe you responded to a different thread or? Have you started a thread with pics here yet? I'm sure you grow nice meds also, peace.

A. Muse

A. Muse

Thanks for sharing. I've been an in-frequent visitor to this site but the knowledge has brought me back. And I also try to contribute when my knowledge base allows me.

some bacteria and mostly fungus perform this task by secreting organic acids which dissolve the calphos in to P and Ca2 for example

Researched your comments and found some permies.com (http://www.permies.com/t/17936/organic/Soil-Inoculant-Fix-Nitrogen-legumes) info: "Certain bacteria, namely Azospirillum, Paenibacillus Polymyxa, Klebsiella Pneumoniae, Azotobacter, and a certain species of Pseudomonas (amongst others) can all fix nitrogen in association with non-leguminous plant roots. Of those, Azospirillum and Azotobacter can do so in the presence of oxygen (which usually inhibits the nitrogen fixing enzymes), whereas the others do so by eating up all the oxygen in their immediate surroundings." and "A. Brazilense is more active during warmer months, whereas A. Lipoferum (from earth juice) is more active during the cool season."

So I'm looking at EM & Bokashi and wondering what fungi & bacteria are produced. Also, freeing K & P in coco mixes.

Some stuff:

And slightly off-topic, but brings me back to having read "The Secret Life of Plants" all those years ago: http://www.emsustains.co.uk/EM-ceramics.htm

MrRojos

MrRojos

Bravo to all of you! Threads and discussions like these get me all excited.Soil biology and how plants communicate with the microorganisms who've formed symbiotic relationships with them and targeting specific beneficial organisms!F#/! £€! Awesome Bravo you guys.
My grandparents and dad were farmers and had a intimate knowledge and relationship with there soil and the organisms it took to have thriving harvests with minimal added amendments.It's really excitingto see all this knowledge being dropped.The day s.h.t.f alot of great bottled chemical growers will be S.o.L keep doing threads like these!

Ecompost

Ecompost

Thanks for sharing. I've been an in-frequent visitor to this site but the knowledge has brought me back. And I also try to contribute when my knowledge base allows me.

Researched your comments and found some permies.com (http://www.permies.com/t/17936/organic/Soil-Inoculant-Fix-Nitrogen-legumes) info: "Certain bacteria, namely Azospirillum, Paenibacillus Polymyxa, Klebsiella Pneumoniae, Azotobacter, and a certain species of Pseudomonas (amongst others) can all fix nitrogen in association with non-leguminous plant roots. Of those, Azospirillum and Azotobacter can do so in the presence of oxygen (which usually inhibits the nitrogen fixing enzymes), whereas the others do so by eating up all the oxygen in their immediate surroundings." and "A. Brazilense is more active during warmer months, whereas A. Lipoferum (from earth juice) is more active during the cool season."

So I'm looking at EM & Bokashi and wondering what fungi & bacteria are produced. Also, freeing K & P in coco mixes.

Some stuff:

And slightly off-topic, but brings me back to having read "The Secret Life of Plants" all those years ago: http://www.emsustains.co.uk/EM-ceramics.htm

We found Azotobacter chrococcum works for N really well on MJ

For moving P
bacillus megaterium will be a PSB among others, Bacillus coagulans bacteria
you might also use yeast bacterium such as Torulospora globosa

For K
Frateuria aurantia among others

For S
Acidithiobacillus thiooxidans
For Zinc and Micros
Pseudomonas spp. and Bacillus spp will do Zinc

dont forget bac sub is the warrior of bacteria, it fixes N S and chelate fe as a sidephore so prevent Iron leaking in to rivers and causing acid fish baths which the wasted N and P then fill with algae.

Last edited:
Ecompost

Ecompost

Some stuff:

Most people dont have the cyanobacteria, nor the right yeast based microbes to make this. This is EM1 lite if you like
but very very effective never the less and well worth investigating. Simple way to make LAB for sure

Top Bottom