• Thread starter logic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Subcool-Death.jpg

After several years of battling a rare condition, well-known grower/breeder Subcool has died. He suffered from Alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency (AAT) and COPD.

Little is known about Subcool's personal life before he became a hot cannabis cultivator, famous for breeding such strains as Vortex and Jack the Ripper. He sold them and other strains via his companies TGA Genetics and Subcool Seeds.

Born Montgomery Ball, he eventually moved from Oregon to California in 2013 after buildng up his reputation there and being inducted into the High Times Seed Bank Hall of Fame in 2009.

Subcool wrote several books, including Dank: The Quest for the Very Best Marijuana, and hosted the Weed Nerd show on YouTube.

In 2017, the wildfire that tore through parts of Santa Rosa burned down he and his wife's grow facility. He and MzJill subsequently separated and divorced. She kept TGA Genetics and he started his new Dank line.

About his condition, Subcool told Big Buds in 2016:

"I’m having a really hard time dealing with Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. It’s passed from parents to their children through their genes, and creates serious lung disease in adults. It can cause liver disease at any age. This disease creates serious shortness of breath, but it’s also a liver disease, and mine has progressed pretty rapidly. The bottom line is I’m slowly choking to death, but there’s little I can do about it.

"There’s no cure for this genetic condition, but I get weekly infusions that prolong my life. Problem is, the infusions are incredibly expensive. My health insurance cost more than my mortgage.

"Ironically, given how much I love to inhale cannabis, this damned disease makes it unhealthy for me to smoke weed or even be around people that do. Because of this I’ve become somewhat isolated. People used to love to visit and get high with me. But these days, people rarely visit, because they can’t smoke or dab around me. I also have to watch out for contact with people, because I’m very susceptible to colds and flu. I tend to do most of my work via e-mail and social media. It’s a lonely disease."

As far as how he developed his strains, Subcool explained:

"My primary original goal was to create a line of marijuana seeds that grew out to be high-yielding, fruit-flavored hybrids. The first fruit taste and scent we perfected was lemon. Then came grape, cherry, and orange. Pretty soon, we were working with chocolate tastes and scents. I was so excited about these cultivars and I gave them out to other professional growers to see what they said. People told me they loved these strains. Not just the taste and scent, but also their new kinds of highs."

Article Author: Steve Bloom

below frigid

below frigid

View attachment 936719

After several years of battling a rare condition, well-known grower/breeder Subcool has died. He suffered from Alpha 1-antitrypsin deficiency (AAT) and COPD.

Little is known about Subcool's personal life before he became a hot cannabis cultivator, famous for breeding such strains as Vortex and Jack the Ripper. He sold them and other strains via his companies TGA Genetics and Subcool Seeds.

Born Montgomery Ball, he eventually moved from Oregon to California in 2013 after buildng up his reputation there and being inducted into the High Times Seed Bank Hall of Fame in 2009.

Subcool wrote several books, including Dank: The Quest for the Very Best Marijuana, and hosted the Weed Nerd show on YouTube.

In 2017, the wildfire that tore through parts of Santa Rosa burned down he and his wife's grow facility. He and MzJill subsequently separated and divorced. She kept TGA Genetics and he started his new Dank line.

"I’m having a really hard time dealing with Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency. It’s passed from parents to their children through their genes, and creates serious lung disease in adults. It can cause liver disease at any age. This disease creates serious shortness of breath, but it’s also a liver disease, and mine has progressed pretty rapidly. The bottom line is I’m slowly choking to death, but there’s little I can do about it.

"There’s no cure for this genetic condition, but I get weekly infusions that prolong my life. Problem is, the infusions are incredibly expensive. My health insurance cost more than my mortgage.

"Ironically, given how much I love to inhale cannabis, this damned disease makes it unhealthy for me to smoke weed or even be around people that do. Because of this I’ve become somewhat isolated. People used to love to visit and get high with me. But these days, people rarely visit, because they can’t smoke or dab around me. I also have to watch out for contact with people, because I’m very susceptible to colds and flu. I tend to do most of my work via e-mail and social media. It’s a lonely disease."

"My primary original goal was to create a line of marijuana seeds that grew out to be high-yielding, fruit-flavored hybrids. The first fruit taste and scent we perfected was lemon. Then came grape, cherry, and orange. Pretty soon, we were working with chocolate tastes and scents. I was so excited about these cultivars and I gave them out to other professional growers to see what they said. People told me they loved these strains. Not just the taste and scent, but also their new kinds of highs."

RIP SubCool, so sad!

Stkyfngaz

Stkyfngaz

Hat's off to anyone devoting their life to breeding, cultivating, and everything marijuana. Rest In Heaven my brother, and may God bless your soul and your family as well.
Hopefully the majority of Subcools work continue to shine and bless veteran and new growers alike.

SunnyRadio

SunnyRadio

Only the good die young... so we say, subcool was bad ass... ripped off... he, himself and his, all of us too... no rest for the wicked... so we say, subcool was wicked as hell, may he breed perfect ganja in heaven free from the suffering of the human condition...

Bchbudman

Bchbudman

View attachment 936719

RIP Mate, now your in Heaven with the Ultimate Grower, and no more pain. I will smoke one with you one day, till then, just kick back and watch the sunsets.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Thank you for sharing this Logic. I listened to Subcool daily for a good amount of time on the weed nerd and really appreciated his raw humor as well as his ability to bring others together to share in the plant we all love. He also raised quite a bit of money for autism through his show. He was a good guy and will be missed and I remember when he announced his terminal condition. Now I'm going to listen to a few of the weed nerd shows that are still around.

RIP Subcool!
Submain

caligirl

caligirl

View attachment 936719

View attachment 936719

Subcool was a great seed breeder. Dairy queen, jillybean and pandora were my faves. Grew a 10foot Chernobyl that smelled like melons and champagne

shaganja

shaganja

wow! new to the scene. bout four years. had to search for info on cannabis. until i saw weed nerd. after, i had to see all video. then, was adam dunn, hash church, the potcast etc....thank you for all the knowledge subcool! and thanks even more to be the first breeder, (in my eyes) that developed a thcv strain! nobody knew thcv befor jack the ripper!! this strain brought me down a rabbit hole of info on thcv. this may be the cannabinoid that makes og kush what it is. and blue dream, and girl scout cookies, and maybe more!! thanks so much subcool. am now buying your kids stuff! liking the homegrown natural wonders strains! keep watching, and cheering us on up there! thanks again sub!

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
RIP. You never know when your number is going to be called. Thank you for your innovations in producing seeds and keeping the growing program going.

PeelsWindy

PeelsWindy

Much Respect for your work. You’re Already missed. R.I.P. my brother. I’ve four JTR seeds left and they’ll be grown this summer in your memory,,, left to go to seed I hope & I’ll keep you around personally. 🐒

sanvanalona

sanvanalona

My uncle grew out so many of his seeds in the mid 00’s and he found so many awesome sour fruit flavors from many of his varieties. He definitely left his mark on the cannabis community and found one of the best males of all time, space dude. Rest easy Subcool

The Rabbit

The Rabbit

Thanks for all of your love for bud pioneering. A great cloud to you. RIP

Top Bottom