Rmoltis's Planning Thread

• Thread starter rmoltis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
This is for air movement exchange calcs. Very handy.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I should start with my useable area is 20 cu ft in the tent.
I think the lowest cfm rated 6" I have seen is 400 cfm.
Which means no 6" could possibly be underpowered lol.

It will have plenty of headroom for me to dial in airflow for heating demands.

Really I'm just asking for brand selection/product choice.
Things like reliability of parts suggested, quality, value, quietness, etc.

I just don't want to end up with cheap junk.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I opened up a fortune cookie today.

This is what I found inside.

20151228 203105

Seems the future has plans for me.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

I should start with my useable area is 20 cu ft in the tent.
I think the lowest cfm rated 6" I have seen is 400 cfm.
Which means no 6" could possibly be underpowered lol.
I could be wrong but I though you wanted to circulate the air 3 times a minute
Figure with filter and flex hose resistance your probably moving 250-300 cfm your still moving air more than 10x a minute
That's my two cents anyway

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Would anyone by chance have a fan brand they would recommend for me.

I need it to be able to

1.) be speed controlled from a controller.

2.) be relatively quiet ( doesn't need to be silent, just not annoying)

3.) Be charcoal filter compatible (not a flimsy duct booster fan)

4.) Be 6"

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I found an inline fan today with a built in thermostat. They offer it in 4" & 6". If the temp is above setpoint the fan speeds up. If it is at or below setpoint the fan drops to its lowest setting and remains there until needed. While "monitoring air temp every 1.5 minutes"

http://www.horticulturesource.com/p...cts_id=10172&gclid=CIj30eKOjMoCFdCPHwodh38CPA

Anyone have experience with these?
It seems useful to buy one item that controls it all rather than a bunch of seperate ones.

If I wanted a quiet fan I could get this. It is designed for full home air cycling and is designed to be quiet as to not annoy the home owner into turning it off (negating the air cycling)

But then I would need a fan speed and temp controller.

Last edited:
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Would anyone by chance have a fan brand they would recommend for me.

I need it to be able to

1.) be speed controlled from a controller.

2.) be relatively quiet ( doesn't need to be silent, just not annoying)

3.) Be charcoal filter compatible (not a flimsy duct booster fan)

4.) Be 6"

Ive had good luck with hurricanes, smooth operation, quite when mounted properly and move quite a bit of air. Amazon sells them with the correct controller.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Also thought id post a diy here. I have heard of people using these with great success. Smell is not a factor for me but thought you might be jnterested as the design is cheaper and lighterweight than most traditional filters and should work well with a tent.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I ordered a titan control mercury 4 fan controller.
It looked to be exactly what I wanted. Lowest price online was $84

I also just got approved for a new credit card. The citi bank double cash card. It gives %2 cash back on anything. I am waiting for it so I can put the fan and charcoal filter on it. (I pay off my cards every month and keep them under %10 utilization ) just trying to build credit while earning cash back.

After talking with jumpincactus I will use the phresh carbon filter and can fan brand fan he uses.

I am eyeing the 6"×16" charcoal filter to conserve space. It is good for 400cfm. it is #701005. Cheapest price online I've found is $127.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I also just got approved for a new credit card. The citi bank double cash card. It gives %2 cash back on anything. I am waiting for it so I can put the fan and charcoal filter on it. (I pay off my cards every month and keep them under %10 utilization ) just trying to build credit while earning cash back.

After talking with jumpincactus I will use the phresh carbon filter and can fan brand fan he uses.

I am eyeing the 6"×16" charcoal filter to conserve space. It is good for 400cfm. it is #701005. Cheapest price online I've found is $127.

Phresh is a good brand. You will be pleased.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Phresh is a good brand. You will be pleased.

I'm hoping so. I am in a place where smell WILL be a problem. So I would love to be discreet.

The sweet taste of a bargain is long forgotten after the bitter taste of low quality sets in.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
My hortilux mh & hps bulbs & ballast showed up today.
I thought 400w bulbs would be smaller than they were.

Tested their fitment into the light fixture.
My main concern was if the bulb base screw would match the light fixture socket.
Both bulbs screwed right in.

Plugged the ballast into the kill-a-watt strip.
Put the hortilux blue in the light fixture and did a test fire to make sure everything was in working order.
Actual electrical draw from the lighting was 430 watts.
This 400watt ballast is huge! It is 30 lbs shipping weight
And consumes "8W x "13.5L x "6.25H. I have a nice shelf right outside the tent to set it on too. It will help keep the heat of the ballast outside of the tent.

My house has all 5000k cfl lights with an actual draw of 23 watts ea and 1700 lumens ea (very bright in most conditions and blue light.) They will be replaced soon with some cree led bulbs (in the mail now) rated at 5000k and 450 lumens ea with 6w draw (1/4 the draw of the cfls). Well once the mh warmed up, the light originating from it was so blue... that the existing 5000k cfl home lighting looked red in the house lol.

The brightness is ridiculous. Good thing too because this was my chance to test out the tent's light retaining ability. When light was fully warmed I closed the tent and turned lights out. If I had to estimate escaping light. I would put it at under %1. It was barely noticeable at the zipper and at the "velcro window ports"

I'm getting excited now!!!

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I have been looking for a solid timer that won't burn my house down. So I ordered the apollo 4 today. Problem solved.

Lowest price was $64 from a top rated ebay seller

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Got my fan controller today in the mail.
It is pretty sweet. It has low temp setpoint.
It has idle fan set speed (so that the fan doesn't stop at low temp). It allows air cycling to still occur at a low rate of airflow. It also allows you to set the controller to turn the fan off if it encounters a low temp condition (low temp condition is 10° below low temp set point.)

It comes with a temperature probe (cord length from plug body to the end of probe is 6ft)

And it has a photocell to determine its behavior between night and day.

Seems like a great unit

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I received my t5 8 bulb setup and installed it in the lower 2x2x1 veg chamber. I must say 16,000 lumens is pretty bright for a 4 cu ft space. What is that 4k lumens per cu ft. I have a small fan in there as well.

I removed the chamber isolators to access more easily the structure to hang the fixture. I also placed ithe fixture towards the rear so it was surrounded on 3 sides. This leaves a lower light area up front for clones. While having a high intensity area in the back.

20160109 135238

20160109 135323

I zipped up the chamber with all 8 bulbs on and the fan running. I let the chamber warm up and see how the temp felt. It was warm but not hot. I feel like the heat generated will help seedlings grow.

2016 01 09 141928
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

I cant remember where my chart is, it has the percentages to factor for cfm loss keep in mind that you have to allow for parasitic loss with any filters, bends in vent tubes how many fixtures the fan has to pull thru etc. Total CFM may be lower than you expect based on these loss factors. If I can locate it I will post it up.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I cant remember where my chart is, it has the percentages to factor for cfm loss keep in mind that you have to allow for parasitic loss with any filters, bends in vent tubes how many fixtures the fan has to pull thru etc. Total CFM may be lower than you expect based on these loss factors. If I can locate it I will post it up.

It's ok jumpincactus I have allowed for a large amount of headroom. Ideally a 4" fan with 200 cfm would cycle the 20 cu ft of air 10x a min (without restrictions).

But since I have added a light 150watts larger than the tent manufacturer's recommended. I would like to accomodate for the extra heat being generated around the light bulb. By having it carried away by exhausted air to the outside of the tent.

Factor in restrictions like passive intake, intake filter, cool tube, charcoal filter, and ducting.

I will be getting a 6" original can fan (around 400cfm). Their flow rating charts showing cfm performance under different restrictions/pressure seem impressive.
There is no way a 400cfm 6" fan could be underpowered in this 20 cu ft space. Add that fan speed controller to dial it in. I'll be golden.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom