RO Water and Ph Buffering

• Thread starter woodsmaneh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I was doing some reading and came across a statement about RO water not holding Ph very well and that got me to thinking, and researching, guess what RO works better when mixed with 20% regular water or using the method below.

I have been using RO water for 2 years now and have had some Ph issues so have been doing some digging and the more I dig the more I relies there is a better way to use ro water and still get the results without any Ph issues. Here is a short explanation on how to condition your RO water to prevent Ph issues. If you have more info on this please share.

Here is a great tip for those who use reverse osmosis water to buffer your water and help stabilize pH. There are two ways, both efficient.

For those who prefer simplicity, all you have to do is add 20% tap water to your reverse osmosis water.

For the purists who do not want to use tap water, or whose water is particularly bad, here are two easy steps:
1 – First increase your pH up to 10.0 with pH Up or potassium carbonate
2 – Then bring it down to 6.0 with pH Down

In both cases you’ll obtain water well adapted to hydroponic nutritive solutions, while avoiding untimely pH fluctuations.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I've also always cut my RO water with declorinated tap. I've founds 60-80 ppms in the water is a good balancing point. Also, it saves on the wasted water from using pure RO.

ri420patient

ri420patient

i added about 20% in mine td to finish the top off finishing cleaning and putting plants in today oh yeah!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Why do people think stable means better?
Because, I've killed too many fish fucking around with pH. Thousands, I'm ashamed to admit.

Allowing drift is one thing, and one thing I advocate for with specific regard to terrestrial cultivation. But not wildly fluctuating pH. Once I venture into aquatics, my paradigm is to let it get there and keep it there. Far easier with something like hydroponics, in my limited experience using perlite as a medium. Or coir, but that'd cause an argument bringing up coir with regard to hydroponic cultivation.

HighBurn8

HighBurn8

I used to add a little tap to my RO when I lived in cali and my tap was decent. but I have since moved to a location where my tap is Really shitty and would never use it to water my plants with even If it's been sitting for a while.-----> (PH 8.2 // EC 0.8) <----------=-

also, the nutes I use and the 'way" I add them keeps the PH pretty stable for days, with or without an airstone. but I never allow my nutes to sit for more than a day at a time before they are used up anyways.

Latest posts

Top Bottom