Rock Wool Seed Starting

• Thread starter Hyman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hyman

I need some tips with starting seeds in rock wool. I've started some in soil, but I want to try growing hydro, and my luck with rock wool isn't too great. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I need some tips with starting seeds in rock wool. I've started some in soil, but I want to try growing hydro, and my luck with rock wool isn't too great. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I find RW keeps things too wet. When I run dro I use rapid rooters. Plop the bean in then I take just a tad wee bit of soil and cover the hole so the seed is in darkness then keep em moist. Been using this method for years. Works great for me.

420bassmastr

420bassmastr

What I do to sprout seeds is take a piece of paper towel fold it up a few times. Wet it with warm tap water and place seed in paper towel, fold paper towel over the seed so there's good contact with the seed. Now place that on a Styrofoam plate, put another plate over top to create a dome. Now find a warm spot in your house and place the plate for 1-2 days. I've used my TV, hot water heater, and propane stove. The pilot burner from the stove is always on keeping my seedling warm n moist constantly. Works every time for me.

Once your seed sprouts and has a tail about an inch you can put that into the rockwool and put under a light.
Hope this helps.

H

Hyman

What I do to sprout seeds is take a piece of paper towel fold it up a few times. Wet it with warm tap water and place seed in paper towel, fold paper towel over the seed so there's good contact with the seed. Now place that on a Styrofoam plate, put another plate over top to create a dome. Now find a warm spot in your house and place the plate for 1-2 days. I've used my TV, hot water heater, and propane stove. The pilot burner from the stove is always on keeping my seedling warm n moist constantly. Works every time for me.

Once your seed sprouts and has a tail about an inch you can put that into the rockwool and put under a light.
Hope this helps.
I haven't had any luck with the paper towel method. I've set them in plastic bags on a heat mat and nothing popped. Could be the water temp I was using; I used some collected rain water, guess I'll try the warm tap water.

H

Hyman

I find RW keeps things too wet. When I run dro I use rapid rooters. Plop the bean in then I take just a tad wee bit of soil and cover the hole so the seed is in darkness then keep em moist. Been using this method for years. Works great for me.

I think I'll be trying the rapid rooters. I'm trying to grow both in and out of soil, so this is a good all purpose seed starter. Thanks!!!!!

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

whats there to know soak rockwool in 5.8 ph water rinse and repeat
germinate seeds cut rockwool in half or open half up place germinated seed use string or tape to tie wool back up and your good to go one roots are really established transplant into 4 - 5 " rock wool cubes and your good to go

H

Hyman

whats there to know soak rockwool in 5.8 ph water rinse and repeat
germinate seeds cut rockwool in half or open half up place germinated seed use string or tape to tie wool back up and your good to go one roots are really established transplant into 4 - 5 " rock wool cubes and your good to go

Yeah I wasn't have any success at all with germinating a seed in rock wool at all. So I was thinking about germinating outside and then cutting rock wool open and using a rubber band to hold it back together.

H

Hyman

So I got the rapid rooters in, put a little bit of soil on top, and they popped up in no time. All 6 that I started, this has been my best success rate. Thanks Purpletrain!!!!

incogneato

incogneato

I'm gonna try this method on my next run. Saves me 2 steps from what I just did.

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Jiffy rooting plugs are sold in most retail superstores and hardware stores. You just add water until they swell up, put the seed in the spot made for a seed to go and gently squeeze to cover the seed and keep them moist.

Top Bottom