rock wool?

• Thread starter Nef420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nef420

Nef420

So im doing my first grow with rockwool cubes I have 8 clones in cubes and was just wondering if any people out there grown with rockwool cubes before from seedling/baby clones to harvest ? Any tips or willing to share info to better give me an idea of how to go about it. Ive successfully grown in soil before but want to see wats up with these cubes. Heres a pic of my set up. Later on today I will be puting them on a table with some trays for them. But should I water from the top or dip the bottom in the water? Thanks for any help ppl!!!!!!!!!

20140803 113428
LadyLuck

LadyLuck

I haven't used rockwool thru harvest but have used it to veg out clones a little before placing them in hydroton. Most people water from the top down because in rockwool, that is how you add oxygen which is what makes them so awesome. a lot of people use top drip feeders on a cycle of usually once a day to start and then twice a day as they demand more water if I remember correctly. make sure your table drains completely as well to avoid algae since rockwool is pretty famous for it and will get it anywhere that light hits. the tops of your rockwool with turn green so you can get some panda or reflective film, cut circles or squares, then cut once half way to the middle so you can slide the stem to the middle and then put a little tape to hold the cut part together. also, don't squeeze water out of your cubes because that will ruin the internal structure and O2 rates will not be as good and it won't hold water as well as it would if you didn't do that.

Nef420

Nef420

Nice!!!! Thanks! I think ima experiment a little and see how it goes all the way through harvest. Thanks for the good reply. Really helpful! Ima try that today. Lol I see very little bit of algae is it bad to have a lot?

LadyLuck

LadyLuck

algae is an anaerobic bacteria and any anaerobic bacteria is bad. if you just have a little bit, tear off the piece that has it on there and then cover it so no more light hits it. anywhere light hits water in your hydro is no good. you'll get root rot and that shit SUCKS and is the only reason I'm doing organics. I can't seem to beat it even if I follow all the rules. I even tried a dead rez which helped a lot. If you are using rockwool though, you should run a live rez or use a bacterial inoculant with your feedings. rockwool is a great habitat for bennies. Also, read up on how to prepare your rockwool before using if you haven't already. the pH needs to be adjusted and sometimes it will rise over time due to the rock material they use to spin the rockwool. I ran a ebb and flow table with hydroton but a DTW with rockwool should be really easy as long as you mix before you feed. now I'm wondering why I didn't do just that?! lol hind sight is sore sometimes.

derelict

derelict

ladyluck, do your research before giving advice. most algae are not bacteria, the exception being cyanobacteria - which you should not get in cannabis cultivation. you might get diatoms, which are completely unrelated, but they are not anaerobic as you have suggested. if you're getting algal growth, if due to light and excessive nutrients, not anaerobic conditions. algae are not directly harmful, but can be indicative of conditions which will lead to issues.

Nef420

Nef420

Nice!!!! Thank you both for the replies! I think it would probably would be best to remove it. Lol

Pisces

Pisces

Been growing in RW for some time now….

Check out my thread in the search option …… "Skitty Buckets".

Peace and take care,
Pisces

Pisces

Pisces

And for those of you having issues with algae…. try Panda Mulch. ;)

Never had ANY issues with algae….ever.

Roots reaching all the way to the top of the pots… can you do that in organics? lol

Panda mulch2
Sb day154

LadyLuck

LadyLuck

well my roots won't grow to the top unless I'm a lazy soil grower who won't move up to the next pot size which I've never done to my cannabis but the tomatoes in containers outside have roots all the way up in the topsoil. I do have to say that my plants are healthier and somehow don't get PM anymore in soil even with increased humidity because of the raised beds. I haven't done anything except switch grow methods. I was really resistant to doing organics but am really glad I did. hydro is fun too but the organics is so much easier and now I don't have to spend so much time dialing in like I did in hydro and go play!!

I only answered his question because no one else had for almost two days and the hydro people were ignoring the thread. When I think of algae, I think non moving water which leads me to think that it's anaerobic and on any account shouldn't be in your hydro rez or growing on your rockwool. when I took the time to relook it up afterwards, it consumes oxygen and in huge quantities can drive down your DO so that is where I got confused and it's not causation. But thank you so much for clearing that up so eloquently!

Nef420, I would also like to point out you should fact check any info you get from a cannabis forum. it's filled with people coming in swinging their dicks around and then signing off with Peace.

Glad you got the exact definition of what it was and I'm really glad we agreed on what to do about it and that it's not a good sign!! I don't grow in rockwool because of the algae it is known to accumulate. I never see that shit on my clay pellets.

Pisces

Pisces

Nef420, I would also like to point out you should fact check any info you get from a cannabis forum. it's filled with people coming in swinging their dicks around and then signing off with Peace.

The reason why YOU (LadyLuck) were getting algae on your RW is because YOU didn't know how to prevent it from happening while it was going on.

So you moved on to Organics and have been bashing RW ever since because it doesn't work for YOU!

Well good for you!

But you shouldn't belittle or knock down those that do use it and do so successfully!!!

Like I said before,, I have been growing in RW for quite a while now and have never been happier.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Show me how Organics is easier then My DTW RW set up while all the while getting the same results as shown with Pics in my thread, "Skitty Buckets" and I will happily make the switch myself

Peace, (swinging my dick)

Pisces~

Pisces

Pisces

OMFGGGGG….. LadyLuck…. quit giving advice when you yourself haven't even grown shit.

I just checked your threads and this is what I found……

New farmer here who hasn't been very successful thus far and could really use some advice on what to do

So before you go on to give any more advice, I suggest you live a little and get yourself some experience first.

In the mean time, quit giving bogus advice on subjects you know nothing about!!!

Pisces~

LadyLuck

LadyLuck

I didn't knock hydro and I said that I didn't get algae in my pellets so I don't know why your saying that my system was full of algae. I said root rot and there's a difference. you made the comment, "Roots reaching all the way to the top of the pots… can you do that in organics? lol" and then you tell me that I'm trying to start a pissing match?! I only mentioned the hydro thing because I wanted him to know I had experience with it, not so successful none the less. I was trying to be helpful when your big dick missed his post days ago.

LadyLuck

LadyLuck

and you obviously know now that I came here because people weren't answering my posts and I was unhappy with the community. you're obviously angry and wanting to pick fights so don't sign off with Peace if you're not a peaceful person.

Pisces

Pisces

I didn't knock hydro
= yet you knocked hydro…lol
I don't grow in rockwool because of the algae it is known to accumulate. I never see that shit on my clay pellets.
….

Ok, sorry, I assumed your hydro system was at ONE time covered with algae, hence the reason why you no longer use it.
But I guess you made that decision without ever actually even trying it? Assuming algae would grow regardless?

Never said anything about a pissing match…. yet I'm sure i'd win anyway with my
….lol

I was just simply stating that you shouldn't be giving people advice or tips unless you knew what it was you were discussing.

And by the looks of it, it doesn't seem like you've been doing this for very long.

LadyLuck

LadyLuck

no I haven't and I found the hydro very frustrating. I bought a chiller, had my water temp at 68F, new nutes and water every week, bought an RO system, different nute lines too, bennies of all different brands, H2O2, Dutchmasters Zone (which really helped) and then I planted them all in soil, tore down everything replace it all except the tray and it still happened. I thought I followed all the rules and tried both dead and alive rezs. after so much effort and time fighting this, I just said fuck it. I'm done and I'm not spending a ton of money on hydro. I just want to grow pot that doesn't have any issues and if that means granola, bananas, and tofu fucking organic hippy, then so be it. even if the info I gave on the algae was wrong, my solution was the same as yours. this whole organics vs hydro bullshit makes forums VERY negative. we're all here trying to help others so we can all smoke pot right? not belittle each other; especially newbs who need supported more than more experienced, amazing, wonderful growers such as yourself. I mean, look at your pics you posted?! stunning! well, as for my first day on here, I feel very welcome and thank you for your hospitality. I can't believe a guy would be so upset by me saying he has a big dick. sheesh. I got gardening to do.

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

Hate to drag this back on topic but to answer the original question, yes I've grown from beginning to end in rock wool and yes it works great. Cover the top with panda plastic and you will be all good with the algae. I have always used flood and drain but friends have good luck with top feed as well. The biggest upside for me is ease of use. Very clean and doesn't spill everywhere and make messes. That being said I've moved to coco. I feel like the plants are a little happier. I still use RW from time to time and don't miss the coco cleanup when I do. So in short form the answer is go for it you'll be fine.

Nef420

Nef420

Thanks you guys! For all the replies! I agree with Lady Luck. I do check everything. Again and again! But hey! How else will you get your ideas and imagination Rollin? And yes! We all are here to smoke FIRE!!!!! Woooooo!!!! But really tho thank you guys for the help. Ima go get me some of that panda plastic asap. I'll post up pics of my homemade setup as soon as they wake up. Lol

Nef420

Nef420

Pisces! I read "skitty buckets"!! Fucking awesome. It looks so legit. Currently that's my newest motivation to upgrade everything I have. Lol really nice setup

Pisces

Pisces

Thanks Nef…. much appreciated.

Sorry about the negative posts above between me and LadyLugnut…. I was trying to get my point across and She kept wanting to argue.

Even though She was completely wrong…… if you don't believe me, go check out her thread and pics and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Anyways, to get back on the subject, with my set up, I can leave the house for up to 6 days if I wanted to.
All I have to do is plug my pump on a timer. Its that easy.

But as it is, all i do is flip the switch, add nutes, and turn the Ball Valves for a minute each.

How hard can that really be compared to organics????? Seriously?

My PH Never fluctuates and remains stable!

I spend on average a total of five minutes each night to mix and water my plants….All of them!!!

Anywho, if you ever have any questions or concerns, fell free to hit me up anytime.
I'll be happy to sit down and talk shop with ya.

Peace and take care,
Pisces

Nef420

Nef420

Pisces so I noticed you have a bunch of mini RW cubes filled in a pot right? Does it mater for mine that are in larger cubes? I think their 6x6x4. To feed from the top? I'm just wondering I'm tryna get a setup goin so that I don't have to manually feed them. If you don't mind, any suggestions? I'm also tryna learn how to clone. Lol

Top Bottom