Rockwool Issues, No Idea What It Could Be....

• Thread starter Ninjadik
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

Ninjadik

Hello all, I have been running flood and drain with rockwool cubes for the past year. I recently encountered issues I have never seen before. Please help if possible.

My temperatures peak at 78 and usually get as low as 70 with the lights off. Humidity hangs around 40-50% and I run a flood and drain into pargro 6x6x4 cubes.

My recipe includes H&G base, cal mag, protekt, big bud powder and I run RO. I also use capulators tea OG Biowar every 7-10 days and brew as directed. I also merit75 wp'd according to instructions before transferring and made fresh water with cap's og biowar so its not a aphid or gnat issue...

My plants were super healthy with white roots and no defficiencies when I transferred from my veg room. I flipped it and around week 2 my plants started yellowing out. I thought it was the RO because filters were not changed and ppm was peaking at 300. So I flushed out the cubes and redid the water with fresh RO, and reading around 20ppm. They kept on yellowing out and they stopped eating. I have not peaked over 1000pp5m and i even tried dropping it to around 800 to get them to eat. I also keep my ph between 5.8 and 6.2 but it doesnt seem like its getting better. I think I may have root rot but I have never encountered root rot in rockwool before. I feed 1 time a day for 15 minutes...

I attached some pics to give you a more detailed look at whats going on, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Rockwool issues no idea what it could be
Rockwool issues no idea what it could be 2
Rockwool issues no idea what it could be 3
Rockwool issues no idea what it could be 4
Rockwool issues no idea what it could be 5
Rockwool issues no idea what it could be 6
R

Rajabiji

Roots look like they are turning brownish in the picture provided. At 78 degrees, root rot can absolutely occur. Temp shouldn't top out at more than 70. Regards.

wobbly goblin

wobbly goblin

not familiar with your nutrient regime but rock wool has no cec so you need to drop your ph to 5.3 average..5.1-5.5 ish
at 5.8 to 6.2 the nutes are locked

fwiw

Pisces

Pisces

Wobbly Goblin, can you please show me what your plants look like while being fed a PH of 5.1 to 5.3 in rock wool……..???

Thanks in advance!

MrRightBrain

MrRightBrain

5.6 is where i would try & keep ph. at this point i would flush the shit out of those cubes with phd water vitamin b 1/4 strength cal mag and sensizym only for two days or so. if it looks like its recovering i would add base at 1/4 , protect,at full and mix your big bud well, would buy the liquid next time. your base setup is f\perfect imho, i wouldn't be adding teas or anything else,

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
HOW MUCH MERIT DID YOU USE???

I have fried younger plants with merit in the past. Burnt the roots off at recommended dose. . In rockwool..

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
1/2 tsp per 5gals like you instructed cap

That is the recommended rate but sometimes smaller plants do not like that shit. How did you apply in your res or just a one time top feed mixed separately?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Did these plants have a pretty severe infestation of RA to begin with? It could be a combination of the damage done by RA followed by chemical drench that led to the rot. You may want to try hitting them with H202 and no bennies until you see more white roots.

N

Ninjadik

I did a flood with water and merit then flushed it and did new water with food and ogbiowar. These plants had no RAs, but I did it as a preventative cause my last harvest was destroyed by RAs and gnats. Plants were around 2 feet and healthy...

Bombnes

Bombnes

I hate those big cubes, to much space in there for water. If you have a younger plant in such a huge cube and saturate it could be your over watering. Choking out the roots and so it stops eating.....just a guess am I right?

Dynamite

Dynamite

Wool ph should be 5.5 to 5.8 , I like to be a little high rather then a little low when issues come about .running closer to 5.8 ..I'd bet the merit fucked ya .. mix up a properly ph'd batch of 1/2 to 3/4 strength base nutes and calmag ,check the calibration of your ppm and PH equipment if you haven't already .700 ppm be great .base & calmag only , and flush those cubes until whatever ph and ppm your mix is , is what your runoff reads coming out of the cubes , no flood and drain , manually pour it thru the cube to ensure the medium is properly charged with the correct ph and ppm, and wait for them to dry out a bit before feeding again ..I've grown in wool for a year or twenty , lol ..If saving them and bringing the roots back is gonna happen , that'll do it .. get some hygrozyme in the mix too, for root problems it's great stuff , sensizyme is not a stable product .

Dynamite

Dynamite

Your temps and humidity are fine , I do like it cooler under the canopy then above it . And those cubes are supposed to be fed atleast 2 times per light cycle, or 3 or even more , the plant size and cube size needs to be setup accordingly . How dry the cubes get between feedings is important too , not bone dry , but should lighten up for sure or your asking for root issues .. The multiple feedings help keep the root zone cooler then room temp

Dynamite

Dynamite

Haha , Just realized this threads a couple weeks old and it just got bumped , my bad..maybe my blah blah blah will help someone finding tbis on Google in the future, cuz I'm betting it's either problem solved or the plants are dead by now

Top Bottom