Rockwool questions about water and ph

• Thread starter Skwurll
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skwurll

Skwurll

Hey all, with rockwool I'm reading on presoaking and then after soak. So on the personal I believe I can use RO water, then it tells me to us water as close to 7.0 or lower. My RO water is 5.5, can I add a couple drops of lemon to raise the ph safely? Also any other water suggestions or rockwool help would be appreciated. I'm running a hydrosystem.

1989cheeseSOG

1989cheeseSOG

hi,

lemon juice is acidic, it will lower the ph of your solution
you cant use straight RO in your system, you need somethign to buffer it and ideally some calcium magnesium(calmag)

RO is the best water but its more tricky to grow with it

what nutrients line do you use ?

i use RO water(mainly condensation water from my air conditionners in fact) and i prefer to use soft water formulas, not the regular hard water lines

tobh

tobh

Supporter
The presoak concept is controversial ime. I personally presoak in pH 4.0 water for at least 30 minutes, then do a secondary soak of mild nutrient solution at pH 5.8 before putting cuttings into the media. The idea is to buffer the pH in the wool to a reasonable level as I think off the shelf it's super basic, like 9+. The secondary soak just serves to precharge the media with a bit of a stabilized solution, and set the pH to the appropriate level.

Again, I'm not sure if that is at all needed, I imagine one could just get away with doing the secondary soak and be good. However, through all my research, pH 4.0 presoak seems to be the most common.

As 1989cheeseSOG said, you'll need to buffer your RO as well. Preferably with something of a strong base like potassium silicate (silica, eg Dyangro Protekt), pH the solution down 6.5, add calmag, add the rest of your nutrients, then final pH to 5.8 and let stabilize before use. RO itself has no buffering properties in it, so you will inevitably see massive pH swings and all kinds of weird plant issues. Depending on your nutrients, you may not need calmag. Remember, wool is 100% inert, it has nothing to offer to the plant so you have to supplement accordingly.

Also, make sure you get your dryback cycles right. In veg, no more than 80% dryback is ideal meaning the media is still 80% saturated when the next fertigation cycle runs. In flower, you can do a bit more for crop steering, but that's a much more advanced topic in of itself. And finally, make sure you have some covers for the tops of your media. Algae loves rockwool and it can contribute to some pretty gnarly diseases like root rot, stem rot, botrytis, bugs, etc. Not to mention it robs your plant of nutrients and just looks gross.

1989cheeseSOG

1989cheeseSOG

rockwool being alkaline is a miscumception. prior to use rockwool, you just need to saturate it evenly to clean the manufacturing residue(calcar), in a solution of ph 6.

if you soak it under ph 4.5, you damage the structure of the rockwool and dissolve some in the solution, thats why the ph climb in the 7 after this

Top Bottom