rockwool

• Thread starter wannabnurse2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

wannabnurse2

Is rockwool the best cloning and seeding starter or is there something better?

T

Trillion

Soil and coco are both extremely effective as a cloning/sowing medium and are also far more forgiving then rockwool in terms of water ph and under/over watering

R

rennie37

hey guys i gotta question, when you clone a plant and you place it in a 1.5 inch cube and it sprout roots and then you place it in a 3 in cube do you have to wait till i get rooted tru that cube then you place it in ur system?

R

Rolln J

hey guys i gotta question, when you clone a plant and you place it in a 1.5 inch cube and it sprout roots and then you place it in a 3 in cube do you have to wait till i get rooted tru that cube then you place it in ur system?

its best if you do...

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
yep best if they have roots coming out the bottom.. Otherwise you will have to top feed for a few days till they poke threw.. I am using 6x6 hugo blocks now vs the 4x4 rw cubes.. More roots = more fruit:) I put a coco mat under the 6x6 and the roots have really grabbed hold and anchors itself to the mat.. Very pleased:icon_cookie:

:passingjoint:

R

rennie37

nice never thought about that way "the bigger the block the bigger fruits lol"

R

Rolln J

have you seen the new topfeed 6x6 cubes by culteline? they have a 3.5" circle shaped groove about 3/8' wide and deep to facilitate top feeding.

Im gonna build mini drip rings and try these out my next run. Though I was thinking I'd just buy the Hugo cubes and take my dremel tool and make my owb moats becasue Im unsure about the culteline block in general.

Its supposed to be more porous to allow the roots to grow through it easier - but I never found that to be a problem with rockwool.

GTD How thick is the coco matt your using? I wanted to do the same thing figured for stability and give the roots a nice place to hide and suck up the water from the channels in the tray. big difference in price between the 1/4" and the 1"...

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
nice never thought about that way "the bigger the block the bigger fruits lol"
Yep true story bud:) considerable difference between the 4x4 rw cubes and the 6x6 rw hugo blocks. Slap a coco mat under em and even better :harvest:

have you seen the new topfeed 6x6 cubes by culteline? they have a 3.5" circle shaped groove about 3/8' wide and deep to facilitate top feeding.

^^^^Nope bud I have never heard or seen these yet:) No top feed here on my end stricly flooding and draining..

Im gonna build mini drip rings and try these out my next run. Though I was thinking I'd just buy the Hugo cubes and take my dremel tool and make my owb moats becasue Im unsure about the culteline block in general.

Its supposed to be more porous to allow the roots to grow through it easier - but I never found that to be a problem with rockwool.

Nope me neither.. I wouldn't make the switch.. They got even bigger than the hugo block they come in 8x8 now called big mamma's lol.. Grodan is really stepping up..

GTD How thick is the coco matt your using? I wanted to do the same thing figured for stability and give the roots a nice place to hide and suck up the water from the channels in the tray. big difference in price between the 1/4" and the 1"...

I am using the 1 inch coco mat this time>>>Last run I used 2 of the 1/4 in and just stacked them.. You will be very happy with the coco mat.
In my 4x4 tables 1 inch coco mat, 32 Hugo blocks under 2K = 2.5 +pounds per 1K easily.. Talking Casey Jones here tho bud :harvest:

Definitely will be a advantage to have your roots poking threw before you incorporate them in your system>>>Simple flood and drain from there.. If they are not poking threw you gonna ahve to top feed for a few days depending on the flood level in your tables..

Also makes clean up a breeze:)

:passingjoint:

GTD

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
Yep og they are called BIG MAMMA'S....

I

ismokepot

I just read a study that showed the roots still grow best in a mixture of perlite/vermiculite. I don't know if I believe it or not............ I'll try to find it again and post a link.

Top Bottom